Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

I really doubt he'll be given much of a chance at Adelaide tbh.
Your last recruit from the Stingrays, Myles Poholke, has never been given a fair go.

He's been given a few opportunities. Probably fair to say that he hasn't exactly made the most of them.

You guys are mean. I liked Kris.

I thought he was OK without being spectacular. Probably better than Andrew Eccles who we traded for him, although I'm not sure if that's because Eccles was actually no good or just got Carltonized.

I want Hamill to progress but 5 touches in the SANFL on the weekend is a worry. Seems to have gone backwards as the season has gone on.
Needs a big preseason, put on some muscle and get fit in order to have a good season at SANFL/AFL reserves level.

How do we know?

Because every time he has played he has looked a step slow and been unsighted for large periods?

Who do you want to drop from our inside mid brigade to gift him games? This isnt Carlton, games are earnt.

Brad Crouch?, Matt Crouch?, Rory? CEY? Hes not getting in ahead of those guys.

Because every time he has played he has looked a step slow and been unsighted for large periods?

Who do you want to drop from our inside mid brigade to gift him games? This isnt Carlton, games are earnt.

Brad Crouch?, Matt Crouch?, Rory? CEY? Hes not getting in ahead of those guys.
When he’s played it’s not been in the midfield where he excels in the SANFL.

We have had injuries to our inside mids and we still haven’t picked him.

I can’t see the point of retaining players if you aren’t going to give them a go.

But the point is you said he’s not good enough to get a game in our midfield, well that can’t be proven until he actually plays in our midfield.

I can’t see the point of retaining players if you aren’t going to give them a go.

But the point is you said he’s not good enough to get a game in our midfield, well that can’t be proven until he actually plays in our midfield.
Same goes with Wilson. He and Poholke both are inside mids. When played in AFL played as Half Forwards

How many players on a list and how many in the starting squad each week?
There are always going to be players that are on the list not getting a game.

Myles has had a few chances, and hasn't showed much in those opportunities.
I don't know what more you want?

How many players on a list and how many in the starting squad each week?
There are always going to be players that are on the list not getting a game.

Myles has had a few chances, and hasn't showed much in those opportunities.
I don't know what more you want?
I thought it was pretty obvious, we can’t say he’s not good enough to make our midfield if he’s never played midfield for us.

Poholke got a game in rounds 4 and 6.
In round 4 against the Roos he got 15 disposals and 6 marks and then dropped him.
Even in round 6 against the Saints, we couldn't give him time in the midfield.
We gave Douglas 4 games in a row.
I think that's what we should have done with Myles, was give him 4-5 games in a row and then you have a small body of work to make an evaluation on.
It was like giving Davis one game against the Cats, never to be seen again, even though Lynch has been out for 4 weeks

I thought it was pretty obvious, we can’t say he’s not good enough to make our midfield if he’s never played midfield for us.
It's nonsensical, and something that most other clubs avoid.

Hopefully the epiphany of the past week that we can't flog the same inside mids all game long will open up the rotations so when a guys like Jones/Poholke/Gallucci/Wilson get selected they don't waste away all game in the graveyard but instead get mid time (for guys like Murphy/Davis/McHenry/Knight that could include wing time). Initially that may be 30% but that would still be an amazing structural improvement and enhance their output/development massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until he dominates SANFL like Crouch, Crouch, Sloane or CEY would, then he isnt good enough to take the spot of someone who is a better player.

I'm really unsure how this is a complex concept?

Should've been selected ahead of Knight.

So brought in again, still not to play midfield.
What would be the point? We know he cant play half forward.

You know how we got smashed on the outside by Port 2 weeks ago? How does adding another slow plodder help solve that problem?

I want Hamill to progress but 5 touches in the SANFL on the weekend is a worry. Seems to have gone backwards as the season has gone on.
Needs a big preseason, put on some muscle and get fit in order to have a good season at SANFL/AFL reserves level.

His job is to defend. He is a back pocket defender. It doesn’t matter how many touches he gets, as long as his direct opponent doesn’t kick any goals.

He doesn’t need to accumulate 30 touches to be assessed as having a good game.

Until he dominates SANFL like Crouch, Crouch, Sloane or CEY would, then he isnt good enough to take the spot of someone who is a better player.

I'm really unsure how this is a complex concept?
You don’t think he’s dominated games in the SANFL?

It’s not complex, it’s basic, I’m not sure why you are struggling with it

You know how we got smashed on the outside by Port 2 weeks ago? How does adding another slow plodder help solve that problem?
Well there’s your problem, he’s not a slow plodder

Should've been selected ahead of Knight.

So who you talking about here, Poholke or Davis? Seems the first quote is about Davis, and the second about Poholke???

So who you talking about here, Poholke or Davis? Seems the first quote is about Davis, and the second about Poholke???

Both about Poholke (someone wanted him in instead of Knight)
I dont mind the kid, but sick of this 'just play him' attitude.

If there is no spot, there is no spot. We have a great talent in Fog sitting in the 2nds for the same reason.

Both about Poholke (someone wanted him in instead of Knight)
I dont mind the kid, but sick of this 'just play him' attitude.

If there is no spot, there is no spot. We have a great talent in Fog sitting in the 2nds for the same reason.
The Knight quote was about Davis, go back and read it again.

I understand your talking about Myles, but it got confusing because of the Davis quote

His job is to defend. He is a back pocket defender. It doesn’t matter how many touches he gets, as long as his direct opponent doesn’t kick any goals.

He doesn’t need to accumulate 30 touches to be assessed as having a good game.
Hamill is most definitely not a back pocket defender. He's a running back/winger who I would think we would have plans to eventually play an outside midfield role similar to Rory Atkins.

Pete Williams draft summary on Will is exactly what I've seen when watching Hamill play live over here for the Dandenong Stingrays.

Will Hamill – General Defender/Midfielder

Unlike the other two, Hamill is more of a long-term player, though he has that prototype size to fill into something special. At 188cm or thereabouts, Hamill has the height, and the smooth-moving ability to glide around the field and break down opposition zones. Like Jones, Hamill runs a sub-three second 20m sprint, and rarely makes a mistake by hand or foot. He needs to find more of the football, but will always be a player that might average 17 touches a game, of which 13 of them cause serious headaches for the opposition. Can play off half-back or through the middle, Hamill is still very light and will need type to bulk up, but when he does, expect him to do some nice things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back