Opinion Will we ever see the return of the NEAFL?

Coolangatta

Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
Or are Gold Coast, Southport, GWS, Brisbane, and Sydney going to remain in the VFL, with Tasmania soon to join?

What can the AFL do to make the NEAFL a viable league again, and more importantly, a stronger league than it ever was before?

Or are Gold Coast, Southport, GWS, Brisbane, and Sydney going to remain in the VFL, with Tasmania soon to join?

What can the AFL do to make the NEAFL a viable league again, and more importantly, a stronger league than it ever was before?
I think long term, the AFL is looking at finally having a Nationwide reserves comp again and then having an individual State league for each state and territory as the tier below that. I just think from a professional standpoint it makes the most sense.

Brings up memories of complaints a few years ago though about how it was unfair that the Northern teams reserves were playing in lower tier comps whilst Traditional state teams got to develop their players in stronger leagues.

Sorry to be ignorant here but was the NEAFL nothing more than a glorified reserves comp for the teams you mentioned or were there other teams who were able to be competitive and draw a crowd?

I personally think it's sad what the VFL has morphed into and the treatment of the old VFA teams by AFL clubs has been nothing short of deplorable. Of course, I'm biased but as far as I can see Hawthorn and Box Hill has been the only AFL/VFA alignment that has really worked.

I think long term, the AFL is looking at finally having a Nationwide reserves comp again and then having an individual State league for each state and territory as the tier below that. I just think from a professional standpoint it makes the most sense.

Brings up memories of complaints a few years ago though about how it was unfair that the Northern teams reserves were playing in lower tier comps whilst Traditional state teams got to develop their players in stronger leagues.
Hmm. What would it take to establish an AFL reserves competition?

Fremantle, St Kilda, Hawthorn, and Melbourne don't have standalone reserves teams, only affiliate teams, so surely they'd need to make their own.

What about Port Adelaide? The Magpies are the Port reserve team, but do they leave the SANFL and join the AFL reserves as the Power or the Magpies?

Hopefully as the Magpies to see the Eddie melts, but the AFL own the naming rights. Does that mean the Port Magpies would cease to exist? That's ****ed.

Edit: Unless the Port Magpies have a SANFL reserves side that's promoted to the SANFL, which would, of course, weaken their reserves side etc. Tough calls to make.

Sorry to be ignorant here but was the NEAFL nothing more than a glorified reserves comp for the teams you mentioned or were there other teams who were able to be competitive and draw a crowd?

I personally think it's sad what the VFL has morphed into and the treatment of the old VFA teams by AFL clubs has been nothing short of deplorable. Of course, I'm biased but as far as I can see Hawthorn and Box Hill has been the only AFL/VFA alignment that has really worked.
No idea about level of competitiveness and crowds but there were a few other teams in the NEAFL: Aspley, Canberra, Redland, and Sydney University. The other clubs like the NT Thunder were pre-NEAFL.

The NEAFL was always a contrived QLD, NSW, ACT, NT comp that damaged the local QAFL. The return of Aspley and Redland to the QAFL has been good for the QAFL. I can see no reason to revive the NEAFL, but if it were to happen I hope that none of the current QAFL teams are sucked back into it.
Interesting.

Would you like to see the reserves teams in the VFL * off out of there and go into an AFL reserves competition?

It is easily solved. Make what they already in be called what it is.. EAFL...
Or set up the reserves league, promote some local clubs to the VFL (maybe bring back Fitzroy and South Melbourne), Southport back to the QAFL to make it even stronger.

We need Freo, Hawks, Saints, and Dees reserve teams first, and a Tassie one.

Port Magpies can stay in the SANFL and be their own separate club from the Power.

Or set up the reserves league, promote some local clubs to the VFL (maybe bring back Fitzroy and South Melbourne), Southport back to the QAFL to make it even stronger.
I do not think that will happen. I think in WA and SA they content enough to have their reserves teams in WAFL and SANFL and not have the travel costs to East Coast of Australia.
So I think the Eastern Australian Football League will be the closest to reserves that it will become. Tassie reserves will join too.

I do not think that will happen. I think in WA and SA they content enough to have their reserves teams in WAFL and SANFL and not have the travel costs to East Coast of Australia.
So I think the Eastern Australian Football League will be the closest to reserves that it will become. Tassie reserves will join too.
Which would make it 22 teams.

If there's a 20th AFL team, will the EAFL have a 23rd team? And so on.

An AFL reserves comp will further devalue the likes of the WAFL & SANFL. Given the U19s comp in those States are run through the State comp clubs, any changes will have an effect.

The VFL has been through many phases since the national comp was formed & it continues year on year, seeking a place in the national team era.

Interesting.

Would you like to see the reserves teams in the VFL * off out of there and go into an AFL reserves competition?
That would be ideal, imo. But how many VFA/L clubs would just fail to survive if cast adrift, because the AFL affiliation club has basically taken over operations of the supposedly independent club?

I'd.love to see an AFL national under 21s comp.

Then just each State has their own state leagues.

Best 500 20yos in Australia play for the AFL UNDER 21s..

Some players on the AFL UNDER 21 list are also available for selection in that clubs senior AFL side.

State leagues get stronger.acroas the board.

Less emphasis on this under 18 private schoolboy system we currently have where we essentially draft children in to the senior AFL club .

If a 19yo plays well for his state league club he can then get on an AFL list via either rh AFL Draft OR the AFL UNDER 21s side.

So U could even have two separate drafts. Open age (over 18) and then the u21 Draft (17 to 21).

This creates more opportunities for people aged 18 to 21 who might not have had the opportunity to get drafted aged 17.

Would unlock more overall talent

Also I can see regular afl club fans really getting passionate about their clubs AFL under 21s side.

Especially when the senior side is down the bottom and the under 21s are flying.

I'd.love to see an AFL national under 21s comp.

Then just each State has their own state leagues.

Best 500 20yos in Australia play for the AFL UNDER 21s..

Some players on the AFL UNDER 21 list are also available for selection in that clubs senior AFL side.

State leagues get stronger.acroas the board.

Less emphasis on this under 18 private schoolboy system we currently have where we essentially draft children in to the senior AFL club .

If a 19yo plays well for his state league club he can then get on an AFL list via either rh AFL Draft OR the AFL UNDER 21s side.

So U could even have two separate drafts. Open age (over 18) and then the u21 Draft (17 to 21).

This creates more opportunities for people aged 18 to 21 who might not have had the opportunity to get drafted aged 17.

Would unlock more overall talent

Also I can see regular afl club fans really getting passionate about their clubs AFL under 21s side.

Especially when the senior side is down the bottom and the under 21s are flying.
Great idea.
That’s alotta plane fares though

That would be ideal, imo. But how many VFA/L clubs would just fail to survive if cast adrift, because the AFL affiliation club has basically taken over operations of the supposedly independent club?
Yes, there no place for the traditional old VFA clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown to live on as an independent club and still compete with other old VFA clubs because the AFL itself killed off the VFA and left them to live on in a hybrid reserves and old VFA clubs league for last three decades which now is basically an Eastern Seaboard league in recent years. If this comp was abandoned for a AFL Reserves team comp they would probably have to step down to suburban football leagues.

Nobody in AFL land or VFA land three decades back thought any of this through properly to transition the VFA to fill a new role for the development league. The AFL did not need to start off a brand new under 18 league with brand new clubs. What they should have done is finish of the under 19 league and talk the traditional old VFA clubs into an under 21 or under 23 league with those clubs continue on but change their role from full senior club to a club for 17 to 23 years olds play in that want to be drafted eventually or be the next level.

Ur right.
Wouldn't be cheap
But Sheesh this current VFL set up can't be cheap at the moment either.
Especially with air fares and oil prices.
They were already in NEAFL with air costs so it not much different. I think they try to have Qld clubs play each other 3 or 4 times a season to cut a few costs here and there.

Ur right.
Wouldn't be cheap
But Sheesh this current VFL set up can't be cheap at the moment either.
Especially with air fares and oil prices.
The more I think about it the more I think it’s a great idea.

It would be a great level as a spectacle and for fans.

College BBall isn’t a great example because of its size (358 mens teams) and structure in “University/Schools”
But it’s worth over 1 billion dollars.

If more kids can get into really high preformance programme’s like an AFL club with an U/19 or 21 squad it’s going to make for better players and better leagues.

Interesting.

If an AFL Reserves comp is started then the GC, GWS, BL, Syd reserves should def join it. In that case, I think the other ex-NEAFL team Southport would want to stay in the VFL rather than return to QAFL.

The more I think about it the more I think it’s a great idea.

It would be a great level as a spectacle and for fans.

College BBall isn’t a great example because of its size (358 mens teams) and structure in “University/Schools”
But it’s worth over 1 billion dollars.

If more kids can get into really high preformance programme’s like an AFL club with an U/19 or 21 squad it’s going to make for better players and better leagues.
Couple of things to add.

I think we're limiting the pool of available players by drafting at 17/18.
Heaps of kids aren't ready for the senior AFL at that age for a variety of reasons

Kids from "good homes" and with access to coaching resources etc have a huge advantage at that age .
We then lose a big pool of talent after that.

Second point is that Bigfooty is living proof that fans absolutely love "yoof" talent.

I can see fans being pretty passionate and interested in their own AFL clubs u21 side running around. Kayo may even televise some games.

Couple of things to add.

I think we're limiting the pool of available players by drafting at 17/18.
Heaps of kids aren't ready for the senior AFL at that age for a variety of reasons

Kids from "good homes" and with access to coaching resources etc have a huge advantage at that age .
We then lose a big pool of talent after that.

Second point is that Bigfooty is living proof that fans absolutely love "yoof" talent.

I can see fans being pretty passionate and interested in their own AFL clubs u21 side running around. Kayo may even televise some games.
100%
It’s a big gamble to sit out Yr 12 and put everything into trying to go further with your sport.
It alotta kids play and play and play, community footy, school footy, Rep footy to try and get identified and then they have to spend 18 months putting on weight and building their running ability to compete for a spot in the best against men.

I like it WH, ring Gil and run it past him👍

The current VFL is a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster.
Must be costing a bomb to run and there is absolutely no buy in or care factor from fans.
All it does is cannibalise State leagues for the sake of it. Canning it would help State leagues.

A proper AFL UNDER 21s would get serious fan engagement and open up a whole pool of young talent .

And probably wouldnt cost much more anyway.

I guess u might ask but what about a player on AFL list who is over 21?

Where the hell do they play when they can't get a game in the senior side or returning from injury?

That's a genuine question to be answered.

I think the answer is if you had an under 21 side then U could have a much smaller senior list.
So something like a list of 38 total AFL players where 25 are over 21 and 13 21 and under
Ud then have another 15 under 21 only players (they can't be selected for the senior side unless they get promoted to the senior list).
So ud have 53 total players for two sides

This means there wouldn't be many over 21s not playing every week.

Blokes who are 23 and not getting a senior game are mostly in state leagues

Of course there would still be the odd 25yo drafted from a state league but it would become rarer and most talent would be from the under 21s system.

Hmm. What would it take to establish an AFL reserves competition?

Fremantle, St Kilda, Hawthorn, and Melbourne don't have standalone reserves teams, only affiliate teams, so surely they'd need to make their own.

What about Port Adelaide? The Magpies are the Port reserve team, but do they leave the SANFL and join the AFL reserves as the Power or the Magpies?

Hopefully as the Magpies to see the Eddie melts, but the AFL own the naming rights. Does that mean the Port Magpies would cease to exist? That's ****ed.

Edit: Unless the Port Magpies have a SANFL reserves side that's promoted to the SANFL, which would, of course, weaken their reserves side etc. Tough calls to make.
I know there’s a lot more logistics and history behind it that I don’t have the time to go through, but just to get it out there these would be my tiers of completion.

1st Tier:
AFL (18 teams)

2nd Tier:
AFL Reserves Comp (18 AFL reserve teams)
If players are needed, clubs are allowed to sign top ups from 3rd tier state league sides, academy prospects and over-agers that missed the draft similar to what happens now in order to field a team

3rd Tier:
State Leagues (WAFL, SANFL, VFL, QAFL, NSWAFL, NTFL, TFL)
Teams currently affiliated with AFL reserve sides or play in the VFL without an AFL side equivalent revert back to their state leagues and in turn hopefully bolster state competition standards around the country. Potentially run a State Club championship series at the end of the year where the top 2 of each competition (4 from the VFL being the strongest state league) play in a knockout competition? This in turn hopefully adds extra incentive for the state teams to still compete at a high standard.

4th Tier:
Suburban and District Comps

I’m not really a big fan however of the idea of running an U21s comp however as a few others have suggested. I think with the comps above there’s enough opportunity available for any young player unlucky enough to miss out on a draft spot.