2nds Williamstown vs Werribee- Chirnside Park (Saturday Night)

Remove this Banner Ad

no need for Roughie to be shaking in his boots after another good effort on the weekend. Not a heap of stats, but his clearance work and defensive stuff was great. Some good clean hands in the wet as well.
Yes.
So how did Minson play? Not Roughie.

Ok. Sounds like not many of us actually witnessed this game.
Here are some quick snippets of this match report;

Q2. First round draft pick Christian Howard was showing his exemplary foot skills off half back while big Will Minson was dominating proceedings in the centre of the ground.
Q3. Matthew Panos was showing good mobility across half forward presenting well to take 5 marks for the quarter.
Q4. ...He was assisted by midfield counterparts Ben Jolley, Tom German and Ed Carr who were given plenty of first use by Will Minson in the ruck. Down back Peter Faulks and Lukas Markovic were resilient all day for the Seagulls.
Reserves: .....while Bulldogs ruckman Eddie Prato impressed with 4 goals.

Ok. Sounds like not many of us actually witnessed this game.
Here are some quick snippets of this match report;

Q2. First round draft pick Christian Howard was showing his exemplary foot skills off half back while big Will Minson was dominating proceedings in the centre of the ground.
Q3. Matthew Panos was showing good mobility across half forward presenting well to take 5 marks for the quarter.
Q4. ...He was assisted by midfield counterparts Ben Jolley, Tom German and Ed Carr who were given plenty of first use by Will Minson in the ruck. Down back Peter Faulks and Lukas Markovic were resilient all day for the Seagulls.
Reserves: .....while Bulldogs ruckman Eddie Prato impressed with 4 goals.
Would agree with most of this feedback. However I'm not as excited about Howard as others seem to be. He picked up about 7 kicks in a dominating side. 4 of these kicks were specials that hit their targets, 3 were turnovers. I feel his decision making is also a bit flawed at this time, but he may develop after another pre season. Minson I thought was very good, he covered a lot of ground on the night and dominated the centre bounces. He is far away from AFL recall and could easily be back this week. German and Carr were servicable given that they spent periods of time on the bench. German could do with a couple more metres of speed to go with his ability to really read the play well. I'll also add that Tutt really struggled and Hooper found it hard to get involved consistently and looked like he got an ankle injury (was iced up for the last quarter). Bouman was solid again and Addison had one of his better games.

This is the Williamstown Report from our website This seems to have more information than usual. Certainly looks a bit more interesting too .

Rd 16

Williamstown 22.11 (143)
rest of
Def

Werribee 13.16 (94)

Williamstown Coach Peter German is back in the hot seat after another big win for Williamstown on the weekend. Now Peter you had to travel down the highway to take on the Tiger’s on Saturday night, how did you see the game?

We were not nervous going into the game, but we were well aware of the fact that Werribee were in good form. Their foot skills over the last few weeks had been really good and they were playing some slick footy.

We always knew we would be up against it under lights on their home turf because it is a game they always build themselves up for.

The local rivalry is definitely there and we knew we would have to rebound strongly after our loss to Bendigo.

What was the atmosphere like down there at Werribee?

It was actually a little more quiet than expected, which I am sure had a fair bit to do with the Geelong V Collingwood game.

We knew they would come out hard and they did that in the first quarter, I think they were 3 goals up at one stage.

Now it was clearly a very even team performance, but did anyone stand out on the night?

Johnson was probably our best player but there were probably a dozen other players that you could throw into that next tier.

In saying that though I thought that Big Will Minson was really good. Last week we did not get a lot out of his ruck work but this week we took full advantage and Will was really effective with his taps. He picked up 25 possessions as well so his work rate was good and his effectiveness at stoppages was great too.

Lukas Markovic may not have had a lot of possessions but I thought it was his best game for a while. He was really strong at the ball and was very clean when he used it, he really attacked it hard so hopefully he has found some form he can take into the rest of the Season.

Patrick Rose was good kicking 5 goals and he probably could have ended up with 7 or 8. He is very good at being able to take full advantage of the teams work up the field, we have lots of players who are able to set up those goals and Patty puts himself in a position to finish them off.

Hooper kicked 2 also under a little bit of adversity so it was good to see him push through.

Addison was strong, while Tim Callan showed terrific courage at times to stand in front of the pack and take some strong marks.

But all in all it was a good even performance.

And Matthew Panos kicked a goal but also had a hand in a few others.

Yeah one thing that Matty does is play to team instructions, at times he could maybe work a bit harder but he follows direction well.

He creates opportunities for others, he set up about 4 or 5 goals while kicking 1 himself so I was very pleased with his effort.

And you lost Josh Hill just before the game, did that have much of an impact?

It was interesting, we actually wanted to rest Ed Carr to give him the chance to play Senior football over the next couple of weeks.

We were sitting in the coaches box watching the seconds eating a hot dog and next thing we got the call that Josh was needed over in Adelaide.

So we had to find him some boots and a pair of shorts, so from our point of view it worked out well because it gave one of our young players the opportunity while Josh got another crack in the AFL.

So what is on the cards this week mate?

This week we play Frankston and we need to make sure that we don’t have any hiccups at this point of the Season.

We cannot drop our intensity or afford to drop the focus on our processes.

There will be some chances for players to get their opportunity over the next couple of weeks and force their way into Finals contention.

It is going to be really tough and we are not sure who we will get from the AFL side, but in my mind I am formulating the type of player I am looking for going forward.

And finally from a development perspective it must be pleasing to see Jones, Wood and Roughead perform so well in Adelaide on Sunday night.

The real thrill of coaching in the VFL is to see players like Eagleton and those boys come up and play as well as they did.

We know it is not AFL football but we are creating an environment where they are ready to go if called upon.

All of those guys have shown they can step up to the next level so I was thrilled.

Well Peter thanks once again for joining us and we look forward to catching up with you again hopefully after another win on the weekend.
for westernbulldogs.com.au

Would agree with most of this feedback. However I'm not as excited about Howard as others seem to be. He picked up about 7 kicks in a dominating side. 4 of these kicks were specials that hit their targets, 3 were turnovers. I feel his decision making is also a bit flawed at this time, but he may develop after another pre season. Minson I thought was very good, he covered a lot of ground on the night and dominated the centre bounces. He is far away from AFL recall and could easily be back this week. German and Carr were servicable given that they spent periods of time on the bench. German could do with a couple more metres of speed to go with his ability to really read the play well. I'll also add that Tutt really struggled and Hooper found it hard to get involved consistently and looked like he got an ankle injury (was iced up for the last quarter). Bouman was solid again and Addison had one of his better games.

Considering he hasn't had one yet you think this will be the case.

Howard had a hip surgery in off-season which affects kicking (and fitness)....Cut the teen some slack. I've watched him closely at training and VFL and he will be a future leader of our backline in next 2-3 years. Already has a bit of size in upper body and kicking is excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back