Wine of the Week - Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
From my comments in 'The WineStar Journal'....I pray that I have not used up too many superlatives over the years to convey the enormity of value with this wine. I should add from the outset that I make reference to the value equation almost apologetically because the wine should be rated first and foremost on the quality spectrum, never mind the fact that it can be had for well under $20. If you liked the 2002, you will love this wine. If you can keep your paws off it, it will age into something quite spectacular and I am young enough to be quoted about this in 15 years time when the dinner party conversation will go along the lines of “I paid $17.99 for this 15 years ago” and a dozen people will shake their heads in disbelief. I’m the first to admit I can get quite excited about a bargain but I cannot remember a wine that I would recommended breaking my own rule and buying multiple cases of. It is that good. It’s better than good it is excellent.

I thought long and hard about adding this next comment as there is a stack of credibility (I hope) on the line. Anyway, here it goes…late last year I was fortunate enough to try the insanely good 2004 Penfolds Block 42 Kalimna Cabernet which has a retail of over $500 per bottle. I am not for a second suggesting this wine in the class of the Block 42 but the purity of fruit in both wines is not dissimilar. The Mamre Brook has such an inviting opulence about it. A deep purple synonymous with such a young wine, it exhibits rich, luscious dark fruit aromas. The mouthfeel is something else and the first sign of disbelief at the price. Despite its youth and weight of fruit it sits comfortably in the mouth and shows great balance considering its limited time in the bottle. The oak is perfectly handled to match the abundant fruit and the finish is long, all the while with lovely grippy tannins. I’m not sure a wine’s price has ever (nor should it ever) influence its drinking window but I don’t feel so guilty ‘sampling’ a few of these before its time because it is just a great drink.

Buy 2 cases. One for now, one for later. Yes, it’s a retailer talking but I’ll be happy to buy then back off you for $17.99 in 15 years time! Quality: Excellent; Drink: Now – 2018 BW; WineStar© March 2006

WineStar does this for $17.99 but it is widely available and great value.

mamrecab2.jpg

Nice drop that, great choice this week!!

Another wine i just recently came across this week was the Tibooburra wines, had the 04 shiraz and loved it.It has a lovely cool climate expression and a rustic style, picked up a few of there others and have really liked them.

What you think Star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back