Review Wizard Ansett Fosters NAB Cup Series 2: Essendon v Gold Coast, Harrup Park, 4.40PM AEST - 26/2/17

Remove this Banner Ad

would indicate there are times where there is no huff and puff though.

The big question right now is another wine or beer. Such a dilemma
I'm on a self-imposed dry year and after watching the umpiring today I think I've made a terrible mistake

Can anyone explain Stanton's deliberate out of bounds after he was pushed in the back in a marking contest?
Haha forgot that one. There were so many that had me throwing out the arms with a demented look on my face. Honestly rarely had so many serious wtf moments in a match. Had it been for points I probably would have kicked in my brand new 65"

Some pretty good signs from the youngsters. Laverde, Langford, Parish were good. McGrath getting into it, impressive 2nd half. Begley kicks 4 and assist in two others...what else do you want from an 18yo? Clarke and Ridley looked composed, Ridley showed shades of a young Neale Daniher.

Stewart a couple of good lead up marks last quarter although very quiet first 3 qtrs. McKenna was ok I thought, can't seem to mark it above his head but did alright. Going to be tough for him to get a game in that defence though.

Think Long is a fair way away. Green, ok I suppose but should have given two or three off.

It's a very unusual situation to have 10 player out for a year...and they weren't just missing from the field but banned from the whole club. It's going to take time to get used to it, virtually playing with 2 years of new recruits for the first time. And seriously who gives a **** about the end result of a practice match?

Lost composure with our forward entries in the last 15 minutes - Too many long kicks instead of hitting targets - And between Goddard/Stewart and Begley missing the kick to Tippa, should have resulted in at least one goal.

It's called fatigue Yaco.

All players were totally drained at the end. Sort of game you sweat off 3kgs and your leg bones feel hollow after.

I think we're at a good team fitness level atm..better than last year anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a frustrating match with some nice moments. The things that really annoyed me will be learned and corrected when we review. And some skill errors from long term fringe players drove me wild.

I thought Green showed his true colours today. A goal, some dash, some tackles, some brain fades, some skill errors, some ball watching forward defensive efforts. I like his good but scared the team cant carry his bad.

Was impressed by Parish again. How good will this guy be by season end.

Thought Stewart showed a bit more again this week, still more improvement needed, hopefully another step up again next game

lmao some ppl on here need to get their s**t in order.

Really promising first two hit outs, bloody excited for this year so much to look forward to.

Not much of a punter but had $15 in my tab account a month ago thought I'd place a smokey at $101 for rising star. My shout boys and girls for end of year tanked when he gets the nod.

IMG_1907.PNG

Begley - Amazing, positioned himself well and has a great mix of competitiveness and X factor.
Langford - Stands up well in tackles now, players who can do this can change games imo, if a second player needs to get to them to stop them it creates the "loose".
McGrath - Looking more confident, will develop quickly in my opinion.
Gleeson - Made a few errors but positions himself so well. I think by halfway through the season we will be in love with him, seems to have matured a lot.
Brown - I'm an Ambrose man but lets be honest, Brown was awesome. Eating my words a little bit. - Brown or Ambrose? GREAT problem to have at this stage, both worthy.
Hartley - Schooled "two meter peter", absolute lock.
Parish - Mature beyond his years, he's one of those guys I feel confident when the ball is near them.
McKenna - Not great at defending but his run is electric. A bit to go but great signs.
Stanton - Love him at half back, defended really well and then finds space when we gain position to become the second kick out of defence. His kicking was sublime today, will split games open from half back. Lock.
Stewart - Did O.K, provides an option and moved around well. He gets in the game which means they have to pay him "some" respect. Needs to take more opportunities though. Don't see him as playing a permanent role for us early unless he rucks 20%.
Long - O.K around the ball - poor off the ball, runs one way a bit. some good signs though.
Colyer - Not turning and manning the mark after the 50 metre penalty, yuck.
Green - Has something
Walla - Probably created 3 goals. Take that every week. Wether he kicks them or just causes rushed turnovers and someone else kicks them doesn't matter.
Daniher - Rusty, he will come good.
Laverde- looked pretty good, could be a big improver this year
Ridley - good start, seemed very composed for a first gamer
Hocking - looked really slow. not convinced yet

I liked what I saw, building nicely - Woosha not showing all his cards obviously, couldn't give a s**t about the win / loss. I liked how when we were getting smashed in clearances he made a few changes to see if his setups would work, they did and we started dominating then he went back to "practice match mode".

Last edited:
Ball movement and forward structure was much better this week, it looked like there was a plan. Doubt that it is a coincidence that the ball movement was that much better with Daniher, Laverde and Begley added to a team with Stewart to provide leading targets.

The defence looked great, even if McKenna made a few blunders.

What we saw was the structure required. It's now just a matter of selecting the best players to fit that structure.

Thought that half of the mosquito fleet was deplorable.

Last edited:
Someone wake me up when we become a good side again.

Just keep half an eye on the results and you can determine when you want to jump on the bandwagon for yourself.

In the mean time, the rest of us will do as supporters do, that being support the club.

Begley - Amazing, positioned himself well and has a great mix of competitiveness and X factor.
Langford - Stands up well in tackles now, players who can do this can change games imo, if a second player needs to get to them to stop them it creates the "loose".
McGrath - Looking more confident, will develop quickly in my opinion.
Gleeson - Made a few errors but positions himself so well. I think by halfway through the season we will be in love with him, seems to have matured a lot.
Brown - I'm an Ambrose man but lets be honest, Brown was awesome. Eating my words a little bit. - Brown or Ambrose? GREAT problem to have at this stage, both worthy.
Hartley - Schooled "two meter peter", absolute lock.
Parish - Mature beyond his years, he's one of those guys I feel confident when the ball is near them.
McKenna - Not great at defending but his run is electric. A bit to go but great signs.
Stanton - Love him at half back, defended really well and then finds space when we gain position to become the second kick out of defence. His kicking was sublime today, will split games open from half back. Lock.
Stewart - Did O.K, provides an option and moved around well. He gets in the game which means they have to pay him "some" respect. Needs to take more opportunities though. Don't see him as playing a permanent role for us early unless he rucks 20%.
Long - O.K around the ball - poor off the ball, runs one way a bit. some good signs though.
Colyer - Not turning and manning the mark after the 50 metre penalty, yuck.
Green - Has something
Walla - Probably created 3 goals. Take that every week. Wether he kicks them or just causes rushed turnovers and someone else kicks them doesn't matter.
Daniher - Rusty, he will come good.
Laverde- looked pretty good, could be a big improver this year
Ridley - good start, seemed very composed for a first gamer
Hocking - looked really slow. not convinced yet

I liked what I saw, building nicely - Woosha not showing all his cards obviously, couldn't give a s**t about the win / loss. I liked how when we were getting smashed in clearances he made a few changes to see if his setups would work, they did and we started dominating then he went back to "practice match mode".

I am liking what I

An excellent match summary.

I can't help but be a little disappointed that we have given people the opportunity to say we haven't won a game in the pre season etc, particularly when we probably should have won both of them.

But imagine losing those games in the real thing - I will take a loss in a praccy match any day. In fact I would argue that for these pre season games they should get rid of the score board and really encourage teams to treat them as genuine practice matches.

Hawks lost to North so don't think any of it really matters in terms of predictions.

A few players barely got a touch i.e. Daniher and Tippa but I still thought tippa was ok and Daniher will be right.

Green will be dangerous.

Very happy with Laverde, Begley, Parish, Mcgrath.

Just on Mcgrath I would love to see them give him a run on the ball in these praccy games but the team is coached by smarter people than me.

Not sure exactly what to make of Hocking, Colyer and Howlett at this stage.

Still a lot of unknowns.

Ridley should be great long term but maybe not this year.

Didn't get to watch the game (thanks Telstra) but it sounds like a few of the kids had a pretty good hit out.

I'm not too fussed about the result, or even individual performances really. You never know what the coaches are telling them, role they've been given.

Looks like there will be a lot of pressure for spots in the best 22 with first year players like McGrath and Begley making a pretty good case to be selected

Remove this Banner Ad

Back