Preview Round 2: Essendon vs Gold Coast, Docklands, Sunday 26th March @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be tough to contain King and Chol. Laverde probably goes to Chol and Zerk on King. If Casboult plays we're gonna be well undersized.
Chol is not that hard to contain in the air, it’s his follow up work at ground level where he is dangerous and gets a lot of his goals. Watching king on Saturday it looks like it’ll take him half a season to get back into the swing of things. Don’t think we’ll be facing the 2021 esk king straight away.

Going to be tough to contain King and Chol. Laverde probably goes to Chol and Zerk on King. If Casboult plays we're gonna be well undersized.
Kelly on Chol.

Chol seems to be the new Josh Jenkins (as a compliment) in that his one wood is pushing up the ground and tracking back and burning his defender with athleticism. He isn't really one to crash packs or muscle his opponent under the ball.

I think having a defender who is disciplined enough to track back with him and not get sucked into the play up the ground is key, and Kelly is just big enough to match up.

Zerk-Thatcher- King
Laverde - Casboult
Kelly - Chol

I doubt Stringer comes in. He is back in full training but he will need a game IMO.

Guelfi was on limited game time in Sundays PM so unlikely.

Voss kicked 4 goals but from around 10 touches. Made the most of his opportunities but was not really dominant in what I saw.

Snelling and Hobbs where good. Hind was good. All three of them did enough to push for selection.

Despite one report on Bryan being underwhelming on Blitz he was in the better players. Actually took a few marks in the back half. Tap work was good. Still would like to see a bit more around the ground. Had a few clearances via his follow up after the ruck contest. Probably not in selection frame right now with Phillips in.

I can not see too many changes other than maybe Walla playing a full VFL game and a swap of subs. I think Walla knows he will have a bit of work to do in the VFL and we can not get his fitness levels up playing him as sub and he is not really near AFL level for longer than a quarter.

Think they will stick with Heppell for now. May be under pressure when Stringer is ready.

Unless there is an injury the only change I see is Walla out Snelling / Hind sub. Hobbs an outside chance for sub but more likely to get midfield minutes in the VFL.

Am I the only one who sees Demolition Man when I look at Mabior Chol?
1679310791979.png

1679310959649.png

Seems to make sense to bring in Stringer (assuming he really is ready) for Phillips. Have Walla play in the VFL to build up further fitness. D'Ambrosio or Heppell as sub.

Witts is going to smash whoever he is up against. Phillips isn't much support. Only benefit of Phillips is allowing Draper to spend time forward as he did get 2 goals and could have had 1 or 2 more. On balance, I'd be happy to have Stringer in and Phillips out, with Weid to chop out and have agile forward line.
Nah, we'd be at odds then. Stringer takes a few weeks to warm up. Let him blow the dust out in the VFL and let Weideman focus on being a forward. Phillips isn't useless. Draper being able to drift forward serves Jones and Weideman.

In- Guelfi, Bryan, Massimo
Out- Kelly, AMT, Phillips

Bryan as second ruck and to play in defence. Looked decent up back in the VFL and gives us extra height.

B Laverde BZT McGrath
HB Langford Ridley Redman
C Martin Setterfield Durham
HF Perkins Jones Guelfi
F Menzie Weideman Davey
FOLL- Draper Merrett Parish
I/C- Shiel, Caldwell, Heppell, Bryan
Sub-

Hope GC bring a bit more pressure. Doubt there will be too many games where we can move the footy as easily as we did after half time on Sunday.
Interested to see us moving the footy under a bit more pressure .

Hope GC bring a bit more pressure. Doubt there will be too many games where we can move the footy as easily as we did after half time on Sunday.
I think they definitely will. They lifted their intensity in response to Dew after quarter time but just didn't have the composure under Sydney's pressure. I reckon they'll be focused on bringing a high level of pressure from the opening bounce.

just bring the same effort and intensity we did against hawks and we will be ok.

wins aren't the measure this year. it's all about creating a non negotiable culture of effort and pressure.

I think GC will be red hot this week. They should be a better side than us this year and will be stinging from round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well according the the history books it was Hawthorns lowest ever pressure game (149) since they’ve been recording, which started from 2010. It will a lot tougher against Gold Coast.

Chol contains himself. Put Ridley on him to run off him every time he runs under the ball.

My changes would be:
Phillips out, Bryant in.
Tippa out, Guelfi in.
Heppell out, Massimo in.

Only Tippa out is likely I reckon.

In- Guelfi, Bryan, Massimo
Out- Kelly, AMT, Phillips

Bryan as second ruck and to play in defence. Looked decent up back in the VFL and gives us extra height.

B Laverde BZT McGrath
HB Langford Ridley Redman
C Martin Setterfield Durham
HF Perkins Jones Guelfi
F Menzie Weideman Davey
FOLL- Draper Merrett Parish
I/C- Shiel, Caldwell, Heppell, Bryan
Sub-
Not sure that they'll swap out one of the back 6 after a solid win first up.

I can get behind the Phillips out for Bryan call. Not that Phillips did anything wrong, but not part of our next flag push. Draper had been asked to play more forward, and the ruck backfilled. Bryan could also fill that role and get an extended look at what he can do. I dare say I will get my wish at some point, as Phillips will likely go down with an injury.

Last edited:
I think GC will be red hot this week. They should be a better side than us this year and will be stinging from round 1.
They should be, but for whatever reason they are one of those teams we always seem to have the wood over. It’s a very winnable game.

Playing against witches hats would make any team look great, but the manner in which it was won would suggest there's been some improvement within. Nevertheless, the boys need to bottle the win over the Hawks as an ideal blueprint for where we wanna be and gather belief from it, but also go into this match as Round 1 MKII, and expect the Suns to come out firing.

It's not about wins or losses, just keep the structure going.

Move Tippa to the 2's, just so he can get some more game time and be more ready for the Saints in Round 3 and bring Stringer in as the sub.

Still not sure about Langford in defense, but at least come with a Plan B if it ends up being horrific. Hope we bring the intensity but come out as unscathed as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back