Preview Round 1: Hawthorne vs Essendon, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Sunday 19th March @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see if Hawthorn tags out one of our mids, and if so, how we respond.
St Kilda really evened the score by tagging Shiel out

Finn Maginness ran with Dangerfield (it was a bit all over the place because there were so many different set ups in that game) and Daicos in the pre-season.

I'd say he'll go straight to Merrett.

Fastest Essendon 2k time trial was Redman at 6:30.

Your fittest players should have a number that starts with 5. That means essendons fittest player is about 10% off the pace. Makes you think
Daicos won the collingwood time trial with 6:35 or something. Match fitness for an afl game is totally different to running 2km straight

Fair enough the chart I found on expected times was that elite guys were 530-6m but that was from 2013

Record was 5:50 before Sharp’s 5:28 so I doubt internal time trials are any faster than those given senior players are heavier.

Blicavs probably would have run sub 5:50 when he was a runner, but he himself says he’s a lot slower now he’s put on AFL suitable weight.

Most of the ultra quick runners are light, so as they enter the AFL system and gain weight they’ll slow down just like Blicavs has.

We’ve also seen with Cox where an elite 2km doesn’t necessarily translate to in-game running capacity as he was often cooked by the end of the game.

I do think we need more guys that can run around the level of Redman, as opposed to Redman being too slow.

The good news is that we do have the capacity to play with the same intensity as those the Cats and Pies last night. People seem to have forgotten our second game against Collingwood last year. We're not totally crap, but effort is a thing.

Our obvious issue will be, again, where the goals come from. Hooker leaving lost us an average of 1.8 goals, plus Walla with 1.7. Wright's improvement last year was worth 2.4. So, for R1 with no Wright and no Walla, therein lies the mystery, but that doesn't mean we're totally crap.

It means we need to use our smalls effectively and they need to defend. It means our mids need to actually support them by defending. It means our wings are going to need to run hard to find space where the marking power of Wright will be missed. But we know we have the capacity to do that. For me it's a question of whether we will or not, and if we do, for how long it can be sustained in the season.
Yes, the Pies game last year is a good example. And Anzac Day. Need consistency of effort. Having seen the first 5 minutes of the Norf vs Eagles game, I feel better about us. Anzac Day this year will be telling. Will have had enough games under a new coach to have worked some stuff out. If get flogged, we really will have lost ground. If win or do ok, it will be a positive sign. But, mainly want to see effort and defensive game plan each week.

Bizarre take for a bloke that's been on the list 2 years, coming off two ACL's, and kicked 25-ish goals in a rabble of a VFL side in what was his first full season since he was 16. Pull your head in.
He could have articulated that a bit differently but i have to say that I don't see it with Baldwin either. I get Courtney Johns vibes to be brutally honest.

He looked slow and a long way off it when he played senior footy last year but as you say, he is only two years and coming off pretty serious injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that langford was playing back in the VFL, do people here think he'll play back tomorrow or will it be someone else like Heppell or Martin?

I see that langford was playing back in the VFL, do people here think he'll play back tomorrow or will it be someone else like Heppell or Martin?
I expect Heppell to be the 7th defender of those named with Durham to be the fat side winger who gets back to support. Langford can do it but think he may be required as a link man forward of the ball with no Wright

Ins and outs since last time they played
Essendon 10 Changes:

Essendon In: Jordan Ridley, Jake Kelly, Will Setterfield, Sam Durham, Sam Weirdermn, Kyle Langford, Harrison Jones, Alwyn Davey Jr, Andrew Phillips, Jye Menzie,

Essendon Out: Peter Wright, Ben Hobbs, Nick Hind, Tom Cutler, Aaron Francis, Devon Smith, Nick Bryan, Kaine Baldwin, Zach Reid, Brayden Ham

Score Out: 10 out of 16 goals

Hawthorn 8 Changes:

Hawthorn In: Jiath Changkouth, James Blanck, Cam Mckenzie, Karl Amon, Chad Wingard, Fergus Greene, Lloyd Meek, Ned Reeves

Hawthorn Out: Jaeger O’Mera, Jake Scrimshaw, Harry Morrison, Jack Gunston, Max Lynch, Tom Mitchell, Jackson Callow, Denver Grainger-Barras,

Score Out: 4 out of 11 goals

Looking forward to seeing Scott lose it in the coaches box.
full

Ins and outs since last time they played
Essendon 10 Changes:

Essendon In: Jordan Ridley, Jake Kelly, Will Setterfield, Sam Durham, Sam Weirdermn, Kyle Langford, Harrison Jones, Alwyn Davey Jr, Andrew Phillips, Jye Menzie,

Essendon Out: Peter Wright, Ben Hobbs, Nick Hind, Tom Cutler, Aaron Francis, Devon Smith, Nick Bryan, Kaine Baldwin, Zach Reid, Brayden Ham

Score Out: 10 out of 16 goals

Hawthorn 8 Changes:

Hawthorn In: Jiath Changkouth, James Blanck, Cam Mckenzie, Karl Amon, Chad Wingard, Fergus Greene, Lloyd Meek, Ned Reeves

Hawthorn Out: Jaeger O’Mera, Jake Scrimshaw, Harry Morrison, Jack Gunston, Max Lynch, Tom Mitchell, Jackson Callow, Denver Grainger-Barras,

Score Out: 4 out of 11 goals
With the exception of Wright, at least our ins look better than our outs.

Really looking forward to seeing McKenzie's first game and may even cheer for him. I know that's wrong.

My prediction is the Hawks are going to make this a line in the sand game so it will be interesting to see how well we stand up to a physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back