Preview Round 1: Hawthorne vs Essendon, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Sunday 19th March @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, pardon the intrusion. Do you think that Jye Menzie will play this week and/or consistently this year? Keen on him for my fantasy side.

Hey everyone, pardon the intrusion. Do you think that Jye Menzie will play this week and/or consistently this year? Keen on him for my fantasy side.
If it were Rutten I would have said yes, as he on both occasions rewarded pre-season form.
At North, Brad Scott got his favourite players and would use them every week, rewarding almost no players for good VFL/pre-season form.
It's really hard to know. But, when he was debuting, the news went through Hobart very quickly, I have heard nothing about his selection this week.

If it were Rutten I would have said yes, as he on both occasions rewarded pre-season form.
At North, Brad Scott got his favourite players and would use them every week, rewarding almost no players for good VFL/pre-season form.
It's really hard to know. But, when he was debuting, the news went through Hobart very quickly, I have heard nothing about his selection this week.
Scott and the coaching group have literally rewarded Davey for preseason form though… would be surprised if menzie doesn’t play

I think the final 23 will look like;-

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Heppell Merrett Durham
Perkins Weideman Shiel
Langford 2MP Davey

Draper Setterfield Parish

Bench: Martin Caldwell Massimo Menzie
SUB: Snelling

Jones needs VFL time
Tippa not ready yet (although could be SUB)
Phillips back up ruck

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like that mostly, would swap Heppel and Sheil though.

Sheil can’t really play anywhere else aside from wing and inside mid. On the empty wing he can use his speed to break the line on a switch and hopefully have targets to handball too with the Forwards pushing up.

Meanwhile Heppell is a smart ball user and a decent kick you can have him as a high HF making entry kicks.

I think the bench seems to indicate Caldwell and Martin as the 4th and 5th mids. Philips and Jones are competing for the bench tall spot. Will depend if they want Wiederman at backup ruck or at CHF. Then it’s Mass vs Menzie for the final spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting to see now who steps up as key forwards in Wright's absence. He has been carrying the forward line for a long time without proper support, could really accelerate some major list calls around the second tier KPFs. Worst case scenario we are awful losing lots of winnable games in the first month and use Wright as an alibi for tanking and get Harley Reid next year

If Wright is gone a while and the team isn’t good I think the person it opens up opportunities for is Nick Bryan.

He’s the best of the young talls and in a contract year. Plus more time developing Draper as a tall can only help the team going forward.

What's the gut feel on Menzie, D'Ambrosio? Do we think either plays, if not both?

Surely if Davey Jnr is in, Menzie is in. Think Menzie's form has been better over preseason, and his tank is more AFL ready.

IMO they bring in one of Bryan or Phillips, play Weideman at FF with Martin, Jones, Menzies and Caldwell on the bench, plus one of Snelling or AMT as the sub.

Assuming that the named 18 on field aren't changed aside from Wright that is.

What's the gut feel on Menzie, D'Ambrosio? Do we think either plays, if not both?
Tbh I’d be pretty flat if they aren’t both picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back