Society & Culture Word pronounciations around Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a pretentious snob, so I say it like this guy:

But, despite it proving me and my Radelaide brethren right, it's not really relevant to my point.

Proves my point right here.
article-2688430-1F9069E800000578-28_640x365.jpg

I do find this topic interesting.

Australia does have regional differences, nowhere near on the same scale as UK or US, but they are there.

Yes, the SA pronunciation of words like castle and dance is an obvious one.

In SA the letter 'l' after a vowel is almost pronounced as a w. When an SAer says the word Milk is sounds like miwk to a Victorian. When a Victorian says it, it almost sounds like there are two syllables to an SA ear.

In WA, words like beer are more often pronounced with two syllables "be-ar". A good example is when Denis Commetti (a WA man for those that didn't know) says Danyle Pearce's name, as compared to a Vic -based commentator.

There is even a subtle difference between Melbourne and Sydney. Melbournites often pronounce 'e' as 'a'. In Melbourne, the words celery and salary are almost indistinguishable, whereas there is a clear difference in Sydney.

Melburnians saying words like Melbourne, helicopter, celery to a Sydney-sider would sound like Malbourne, halecopter, salary.

surely bans given for people calling a PARMA a PARMI WTF IS PARMI.
Parmi = short for parmigiana. Additionally, follows the Aussie tradition of adding a y/ie sound to the end of something.

"Come and have a middy at the barby while we watch the footy." Not "come and have a midda at the barba while we watch the foota."

Melburnians saying words like Melbourne, helicopter, celery to a Sydney-sider would sound like Malbourne, halecopter, salary.

Disgusting.

It's kind of incredible, really, how close our accents are given how distant our cities are from each other. Of the studies done of regional variation, there have only turned out to be a few differences state by state.

South Australians almost always fall on the other side of the trap-bath split (demarnd, commarnd, darnce etc). They are also the most likely to vocalise the L in words like milk, making it sound like miwk. Western Australians also commonly do the latter.
Victorians are most likely to have the salary-celery merger, though which way they go depends on age (younger towards salary, older towards celery).
The northern states are most likely to turn words ending in 'ool' into 'ewl' (pool, cool etc).
Western Australians tend to add a syllable to monosyllabic words like beer, fear and dear (be-ah, fe-ah, de-ah).

I only have to go west by about 40km from our capital city before it is quite obvious

Something = Sumfink
Nothing = Nuffin
Job = ???

How do Queenslanders & people from WA say "school" and "castle"?

Being from SA, Im aware of the big difference between pronounciation here and in Vic/NSW, but not sure of the other states.

And are the differences being discussed, actually differences in accent or just pronounciation? I would have thought if its just a word here and there, it would be the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do Queenslanders & people from WA say "school" and "castle"?

Being from SA, Im aware of the big difference between pronounciation here and in Vic/NSW, but not sure of the other states.

And are the differences being discussed, actually differences in accent or just pronounciation? I would have thought if its just a word here and there, it would be the latter.

How do you pronounce "school"?

Given that we have been invaded by Sheep Farkers is probably worthwhile practicing up New Zuland
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording:D
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport

I don't care how people pronounce words tbh but if you call this country "straya" - you can GAGF!

I'm Victorian and say deeerby not darrby. Darrby is just stupid. Where does the arrrr come from?

I also say dance not dahnce. This seems to be an SA. Again sounds stupid.

I'm Victorian and say deeerby not darrby. Darrby is just stupid. Where does the arrrr come from?

I also say dance not dahnce. This seems to be an SA. Again sounds stupid.

Where does the 'arr' come from in 'can't' or 'pass' or 'ask' etc.?

Welcome to the English language.

Just wondering which words are pronounced differently by people in certain areas. I noticed I have a mix due to family being from SA but growing up in VIC.

Few examples (apologies for the way I spell some of the pronounciations) :

castle: cassil or cahrsil?
autograph: auto-graff or auto-grarff?
plant: plairnt or plarnt?
demand: demairnd or demarnd?
derby: derrby or darrby?

etc.
+ Parma.

Never used to spot the difference between aus accents but living away from it and only hearing it on TV shows or tourists it's very easy to spot where someone is from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back