Overweight and Obesity in Australia in 2023 and future projections.

Are you overweight?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted it elsewhere but I'll put here again.

I did an experiment recently where for a few weeks Is ate literally zero junk or processed food. Was never meant to permanent, I like eating that stuff and thought it would be tough but it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. In fact after a few days I barely even cared about not being able to eat it. Only thing I missed would be take out like pizza, kebab, burgers.. but cakes, biscuits, chips, lollies, ice cream, chocalate absolutely no..

Now have gone back to normal for a couple of months and it's like something has changed. Love the former above but the later? Yeah it's like it is still ok now but have realised I don't need it at all and it's actually very overrated.

There's definitely an addictive element to especially sugar.
I budget into my diet occasionally a pizza, its just too good the ones I get. I really enjoy and savour every bite. With kebab, I will just order the meat only, if I crave that taste. Burgers are an occasional treat, I don t really crave for them. Ice Cream, Im a crack addict at times. I can and do polish off 1L without even trying. Again here too its something I deliberately plan for.

A bakery in Adelaide I go to, has baklava and Monte Carlo, its addictive and again I need to exercise discipline here, its usually once every couple of months.

I have found all these foods IMO have had a negative impact on my lifting, so I will only indulge in it on a Saturday. My eating window from 12pm to 12am on Saturdays can be crazy lol.

Ive been practicing the art of fasting on a Sunday and it does help immensely in so many ways.

UberEats delivery fees alone are now around almost $15, then you add up the jacked up price for takeaway (as they have to pay UberEats) and youre looking at around $40 to $50 for just a main course.

The UberOne subscription service is kind of worth it if you use it more than once a week. You still get slugged a little service fee, but you're saving $2-7 with every order, and it's only 10 bucks a month.

I don’t really understand the whole delivery service thing. I think I’m too cheapskate or something, or grew up rural, or too organised. If I get takeout it is usually a rare treat so I don’t mind picking it up myself whilst running errands or on the way home (it’s more of an awaited thing when it happens). No way I’m regularly paying several additional bucks for impulsive convenience. I don’t crave delivery.

Last edited:

No way I’m regularly paying several additional bucks for impulsive convenience. I don’t crave delivery.
UberEats was actually a fairly decent service 5 or so years ago, the delivery time and convenience was really unparalleled.

Now when you order a meal, it can take anywhere up to an hour, then the more perplexing issue is has my order been tampered with.

I would never order fast food meals for that very reason. Ever.

Oh yes thats a real thing and its more real and disturbing than you can even imagine.

I wont even get started with Uber drivers taking their delivery bags to the toilet to bomb Hiroshima before delivering your meal.

Im not kidding either.

It's actually very hard for a lot of people, me included. I've managed to do it of recent times and it's been difficult.
Same for me. Over the past 10 years or so, my weight has yoyo'd, but I've been struggling to get the weight off over the last couple years. I know exactly what I should be doing, but the mental fortitude is lacking for whatever reason. Whether I'm too busy or there are other priorities draining my will, I'm not sure what the problem is.

On the positive side of things, I'm benching more than ever.

UberEats was actually a fairly decent service 5 or so years ago, the delivery time and convenience was really unparalleled.

Now when you order a meal, it can take anywhere up to an hour, then the more perplexing issue is has my order been tampered with.

I would never order fast food meals for that very reason. Ever.

Oh yes thats a real thing and its more real and disturbing than you can even imagine.

I wont even get started with Uber drivers taking their delivery bags to the toilet to bomb Hiroshima before delivering your meal.

Im not kidding either.

Thanks for the info. I'll show it to the kids in hopes of saving money. :)

Same for me. Over the past 10 years or so, my weight has yoyo'd, but I've been struggling to get the weight off over the last couple years. I know exactly what I should be doing, but the mental fortitude is lacking for whatever reason. Whether I'm too busy or there are other priorities draining my will, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The "just eat less and exercise more" crowd don't understand the psychology of weight loss, and of our respective relationships with food. That's why it's not just as easy as clicking your fingers and eating better.

We grow up with a relationship with different foods. We grow up with no autonomy over our own diets which impacts the rest of our lives, which is part of the reason that obesity is hereditary; of course, the other reason is genetics. We use food for comfort. We engage with food socially. We might have acute mental health issues that can cause sudden weight loss/weight gain. People with mental health issues, and all sorts of physical health issues are on medication that affect weight. We have moral relationships with food, up to 10% of the population consider themselves vegetarian or vegan now. There's the science of exercise just being more effective for some people than it is for others. Then there's the intersection with social issues such as the cost of living crisis where people are working more, and they have less time for cooking or exercise. (This is without going into issues specific to Indigenous people or some migrant groups.)

If only it were as easy as "eat less and exercise more." But none of our diets, nor our bodies, exist, nor were they created in a vacuum.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

He’s got none. He’s less than 80kgs and is weak as anything. I thought maybe once he lost the weight he’d go into the gym to put some muscle on and grow his confidence but he’s still scarred from people laughing at him when he tried to go to the gym when he was younger and overweight.
He must have been extremely unlucky to run into someone as s**t as that and they probably cowardly did it when no one else was around. I reckon a lot of people would have a go at them in return if they seen them laughing at him.

If someone wanted to build confidence first before using a gym you can still get a pretty decent resistance workout at home with as little as a couple of dumbbells that cost less than $100 total from kmart, they are good too.

That's the missing link, and how you get there, I have no idea.

UberEats delivery fees alone are now around almost $15, then you add up the jacked up price for takeaway (as they have to pay UberEats) and youre looking at around $40 to $50 for just a main course.
Yep I only ever use menulog if/when I get a pizza now. (and its really decent, well priced pizza too)- otherwise, no more.

Its way overpriced.
(And fwiw am off pizza atm, so havent used menulog in over 2 months, I think)

I don’t really understand the whole delivery service thing. I think I’m too cheapskate or something, or grew up rural, or too organised. If I get takeout it is usually a rare treat so I don’t mind picking it up myself whilst running errands or on the way home (it’s more of an awaited thing when it happens). No way I’m regularly paying several additional bucks for impulsive convenience. I don’t crave delivery.
I am on a first name basis with my local thai takeaway place. I go there about once every 3 weeks or so and they are the loveliest people on earth.

You dont get that with menulog or similar.

He must have been extremely unlucky to run into someone as s**t as that and they probably cowardly did it when no one else was around. I reckon a lot of people would have a go at them in return if they seen them laughing at him.

If someone wanted to build confidence first before using a gym you can still get a pretty decent resistance workout at home with as little as a couple of dumbbells that cost less than $100 total from kmart, they are good too.
It was at a gym at a university, so probably just a bunch and immature kids. 100% agreed, gym culture was so much worse back then, now with the amount of gyms around i think most people would stand up for someone in that situation.

To be honest I just want him to find something he likes to do that gets him moving, he’s always been lazy or too big to play sports and his social circles are tiny he just needs some enjoyment!

It was at a gym at a university, so probably just a bunch and immature kids. 100% agreed, gym culture was so much worse back then, now with the amount of gyms around i think most people would stand up for someone in that situation.

To be honest I just want him to find something he likes to do that gets him moving, he’s always been lazy or too big to play sports and his social circles are tiny he just needs some enjoyment!

I'm going through this with my son and wife at the moment to be honest, it's difficult. My son does gymnastics and swimming, I feel like team sports would help him socially a lot more but any activity is better than nothing.

And I was lucky when I went to a gym for the first time, shitting myself and at 129 kegs. Luckily "Wazza" introduced himself, showed me the ropes and made me feel welcome, helped a lot, you'd hope most gyms have this culture.

And by the way no one should have to work out to get fit to go to a gym IMO, go do it at the gym, that's what it's for! No one should be an a-hole to someone who is trying to get some exercise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done water fasting for years now.

Most times I do 48-72 hours when I get the urge too.

Normally after smashing a pizza or some take away that left me feeling way over carbed.

The longest I ever did was 12 days.

Felt amazing at the end.

It's something to start off slowly doing and build up.

24 hours isn't that hard if you just carry a water bottle around with you and when you feel peckish smash a big drink of water down to make yourself feel fuller

For me, the worst part of doing these is the raging headache from my body saying "oi biiiitch, where's the coffee gone??"

I'm going through this with my son and wife at the moment to be honest, it's difficult. My son does gymnastics and swimming, I feel like team sports would help him socially a lot more but any activity is better than nothing.

And I was lucky when I went to a gym for the first time, shitting myself and at 129 kegs. Luckily "Wazza" introduced himself, showed me the ropes and made me feel welcome, helped a lot, you'd hope most gyms have this culture.

And by the way no one should have to work out to get fit to go to a gym IMO, go do it at the gym, that's what it's for! No one should be an a-hole to someone who is trying to get some exercise.
It is tough, especially when you have a fear being in a new social environment. If you met him at the pub it’s a totally different story though. Will talk to anyone, but if you told him to go and join a team sport and meet and hang out with some new people that’s out of the question.

Happy that happened mate! Hopefully one day my mate can find the same thing.

* people who laugh at people in that situation, takes a lot of courage to go to a gym when large. And it's not like you need to be fit to go to the gym, what's the point otherwise?

I'd never been to a gym until early 2015, actually went to a gym 25 min drive from my house in case people laughed at me (was 129kg at the time). First person i saw must have seen how much I was shitting myself and introduced himself and gave me encouragement, Wazza you're a good man wherever you are now.

I understand the nervousness about going to a gym even, even me that was actually fit beforehand its a bit different walking in there to workout. But personally I actually admire anyone out of shape getting in there and having a crack and Im sure most other people in there think nothing of it and are occupied with their own work anyway.
Youre simply a sh1t human being if you actually laugh at someone who is overweight and working out or really anyone else for that matter. These people are not worth your time to be worried or concerned about.

In fact, in many ways I admire them for having the courage to undertake the journey. I remember a few years back seeing a guy who probably was around 180+kgs walking laps in the pool while I was jogging on the treadmill above, which overlooks the pool. I know for a fact I could never do that if I was in his shape, so I was very impressed he had the confidence and determination to do this. He actually gave me plenty of motivation ironically to run just that bit faster and get to the end, when I was almost gassed.

The only time I laugh internally, is if I see pure ego lifts and or some really stupid gym f*ckery and Im not talking about doing an exercise with poor form either.

Do you want us to suggest stuff? I mean, we can't make suggestions on available information, but if you want to give us a region and some interests you might get something you haven't thought of.

Gym culture is pretty bad now with the number of assholes using cameras, ignorant of anyone else's struggle in the gym.

Gym culture is pretty bad now with the number of assholes using cameras, ignorant of anyone else's struggle in the gym.
I will without any hesitation not consider walking around a camera. Ive almost tripped over a few camera tripods. Will be interesting if one breaks and who is liable.

I can accept a newbie trying to improve and or someone doing a PR, but for the life of me to record every single set and every rep is just a beyond a joke.

I will without any hesitation not consider walking around a camera. Ive almost tripped over a few camera tripods. Will be interesting if one breaks and who is liable.

I can accept a newbie trying to improve and or someone doing a PR, but for the life of me to record every single set and every rep is just a beyond a joke.
I saw a girl doing a TikTok in the gym the other day, I nearly fell over in disbelief.

That’s when I realized I was old 😂

Do you want us to suggest stuff? I mean, we can't make suggestions on available information, but if you want to give us a region and some interests you might get something you haven't thought of.

He lives 30 minutes north of the city in melbs. We did a social baseball comp a couple years ago and he loved it but it was with us and a couple of mates. But open to other suggestions for sure. When he knows someone he’s more than happy to try, but with work/kids other commitments it’s so hard to get together to help him out.

Back