Overweight and Obesity in Australia in 2023 and future projections.

Are you overweight?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently "no-milk coffee" is the correct term these days.

Even though it is in your face everywhere at the supermarket which is a challenge it's not actually difficult to cut out most of the crap in your diet and just leave it to the odd treat.

People generally just lack the self control and are full of excuses.

Even though it is in your face everywhere at the supermarket which is a challenge it's not actually difficult to cut out most of the crap in your diet and just leave it to the odd treat.

It's actually very hard for a lot of people, me included. I've managed to do it of recent times and it's been difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild how many people are prepared to come to a public forum and say "I'm a complete nimrod when it comes to science, I have no interest in learning anything, but I'm going to tell people my thoughts anyway."

It's a cooker mindset.

Wild how many people are prepared to come to a public forum and say "I'm a complete nimrod when it comes to science, I have no interest in learning anything, but I'm going to tell people my thoughts anyway."

It's a cooker mindset.
Some people have so little going on in their own lives that baiting others on an internet forum is their whole personality

My kitchen resembles a third world country in regards to how I stock it.:$

There are almost no snacks.

Plenty of meat and a few frozen "gym meals" but thats it.

I tend to smash things if its just sitting there. If I want a treat or something I am craving I prefer to go out and physically just get that item then stock up on it.

Yep the main battle imo is won and lost in the supermarket. One tactic I have done in the past is I shop frequently and only get maybe 10 or so things at a time. But when I do I only allow literally one junk item into the basket.

This is the key.
Good posts.

If a person is overweight and has little self control, then stocking your kitchen shelves as if its a supermarket is not a great tactic. Mind you this is a lot easier if your single. Those that live with a partner and or having a family thats an entirely different matter.

I have zero junk food in my kitchen. Thats not to say I dont occasionally indulge, but when I do its a "burden" to have go out and purchase it. That extra layer of "complexity" helps assist binge/boredom eating.

I will never go starving or hungry, as there is always the raw ingredients to make a proper meal and if Im too lazy there is always a few frozen "gym meals" in the freezer. If you are genuinely hungry, you will eat these. If you dont eat them, then you were never really hungry but craving a sugar hit.

Ive advocated pretty hard against any sort of extreme version of dieting or whatever you want to call it (noting that i have also lived for 4-5 years under pretty extreme dieting conditions).

To me its about balance and when ive watched people try to go cold turkey from snacks or sugar or soft drink or whatever after being pretty deeply unhealthy for most of their lives its been a complete ******* disaster and they always, and i mean always fall of the wagon.

I certainly dont subscribe to the "woke lefty" none of it is your fault and we should all be coddled into thinking that whatever health related issues you have are societies problem but i do also think the standard "eat less, exercise more, its on you" is just massively unhelpful. Its no so much that that is "wrong" calorie deficit and exercise are pretty much the staples, its more that its about as useful as "kick more goals than the oppo" is for winning footy games.

I havent ever had to lose weight, at all, so i cant comment on how hard or easy it is, ive also always lived a pretty healthy and active lifestyle so i havent ever had to drastically change my lifestyle for my health. Both of those things seem incredibly ******* hard and i sympathize with anyone who has tried and failed to do so. Im also genuinely in awe of people who have managed to do it.

I know i just did a whole "do the thing, dont wait to get fit to do the thing" bit and i stand by that but whatever it is youre choosing to do if youre overweight or generally unhealthy is going to take time.

Smart decisions in the supermarket sure do contribute, but the access to food delivery services via apps is a dagger in the heart
100%

Once upon a time it was as much effort to cook as it was to get in the car and go grab dinner. Now if you get home and CBF, you can scroll from the couch and walk 10 feet to the door an hour later.

100%

Once upon a time it was as much effort to cook as it was to get in the car and go grab dinner. Now if you get home and CBF, you can scroll from the couch and walk 10 feet to the door an hour later.
UberEats delivery fees alone are now around almost $15, then you add up the jacked up price for takeaway (as they have to pay UberEats) and youre looking at around $40 to $50 for just a main course.

Posted it elsewhere but I'll put here again.

I did an experiment recently where for a few weeks Is ate literally zero junk or processed food. Was never meant to permanent, I like eating that stuff and thought it would be tough but it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. In fact after a few days I barely even cared about not being able to eat it. Only thing I missed would be take out like pizza, kebab, burgers.. but cakes, biscuits, chips, lollies, ice cream, chocalate absolutely no..

Now have gone back to normal for a couple of months and it's like something has changed. Love the former above but the later? Yeah it's like it is still ok now but have realised I don't need it at all and it's actually very overrated.

There's definitely an addictive element to especially sugar.

Back