World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

As NZ have finally become a more ‘trendy’ side to watch and earned a few extra games against the bigger teams, the player I’ve been most impressed with overall has been Southee. Really liked the way he bowled out here in a badly beaten side and just watching him in general, he’s a very very smart bowler who probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves with Wagner being such a revered figure, Boult talked about like a wizard and now Jameson shattering records. 312 wickets at 28 is nothing to sneeze at and given that he’s not express pace it says a lot about the intelligence of his bowling

A New Zealand win is paying pretty good odds right now if anyone wants a go.

If they can get both Kohli & Pujara out before lunch they should win.

You can't underestimate Rahane, Pant, Jadeja and Ashwin either, even if we get rid of Kohli and Pujara before lunch we still have to get through that lot.

As NZ have finally become a more ‘trendy’ side to watch and earned a few extra games against the bigger teams, the player I’ve been most impressed with overall has been Southee. Really liked the way he bowled out here in a badly beaten side and just watching him in general, he’s a very very smart bowler who probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves with Wagner being such a revered figure, Boult talked about like a wizard and now Jameson shattering records. 312 wickets at 28 is nothing to sneeze at and given that he’s not express pace it says a lot about the intelligence of his bowling

He started his test career with a bang due to being a good swing bowler but didn't have many other strings to his bow and if the ball wasn't swinging he wasn't very effective but as he's got more experienced he's developed other ways to dismiss batsmen in less favourable conditions, similar to Anderson.

In the last 4 years he has 108 wickets @ 22.15. It really is a story similar to James Anderson just playing less tests. Or a less extreme version of someone like Suranga Lakmal's improvement.

Any chance of them turning down the mic near whoever the ******* in the crowd that keeps throwing out sh*t heckles is??

Bloody annoying.
People watching on TV reported the people yelling stuff out for abusing the NZ players and 2 people got kicked out of the ground as a result.

This is actually a very smart solution to the problem. Unfortunately, as we all know, the main part of the problem lies with the TV broadcasters.

Concur, a mandatory 450 over test match, irrespective of whether it takes 6 or 10 days to complete would be preferable.

In respect to 'the TV broadcasters' - I have a friend of a friend who up until recently worked in production at Sky UK and he says the ECB are as 'responsible' for the 'preferred times of play', specifically the start time for test cricket as generally speaking the broadcaster simply follows their direction.

He also says the main UK broadcasters, whether it be Sky, BT, BCC, ITV have very little influence in the broadcast schedules of any of the major sporting events in the UK, be it The Open Golf, Wimbledon, Premier League, F1 etc. The respective organizing associations and bodies of these provide dates and times and although the broadcasters may suggest peak viewing audience times etc. generally speaking broadcasters follow their schedule.

He reckons the ECB are stuck in a time warp living off memories of past cricket tests being played at 7pm in bright sunshine - which as we all know has rarely been the case for decades...

Last edited:
People watching on TV reported the people yelling stuff out for abusing the NZ players and 2 people got kicked out of the ground as a result.

Cricinfo desperately looking to write about something to deflect on the underwhelming spectacle that has been the WTC final...

In the last 4 years he has 108 wickets @ 22.15. It really is a story similar to James Anderson just playing less tests. Or a less extreme version of someone like Suranga Lakmal's improvement.

I love that in an era where everyone was demanding that fast bowlers are all over 140km/h (and don’t get me wrong I love watching those bowlers and they are a handful as well), there are so many guys - Southee, Anderson, Holder, Abbas, who are using subtlety and accuracy and movement to take their wickets. Roach is another, Boult obviously.

Hazlewood to me would be good enough to do the same if he lost pace

I love that in an era where everyone was demanding that fast bowlers are all over 140km/h (and don’t get me wrong I love watching those bowlers and they are a handful as well), there are so many guys - Southee, Anderson, Holder, Abbas, who are using subtlety and accuracy and movement to take their wickets. Roach is another, Boult obviously.

Hazlewood to me would be good enough to do the same if he lost pace

Jamieson too.

I don't agree with that. I would have been happy with more reserve days to ensure 450 overs were bowled but not timeless.
Agreed. Given this is supposed to be a final should have had two reserve days at least.

I wonder if there was any provision for them to have thrown an extra 15 overs on for today? Probably not, but if the captain's agree then why not... Not like the bowlers are in any danger of bowling themselves into the ground.

Ian Chappell suggests the tournament should have both semis as well as the final. Also believes that an 8-team round robin format could see a completed tournament take place in just 65 days.
Test cricket suffers enough played in front of abysmal crowds outside of the big three, with occasionally South Africa and NZ getting a bit of atmosphere going.

Watching Sri Lanka play West Indies in front of two men and a dog at the Gabba (for example) is not going to be a great look when you're trying to claim a tournament as a world cup.

I think the concept is work sticking with, but needs a bit of tweaking. Specifically the different of amount of matches per series looks stupid. I think every series needs to be a 3-match series and if the two boards want to play 4 or 5 test series (i.e. Ashes) that is fine, they just have to pick 3 of those matches to count, and the other's only count to the series. Good way to avoid dead rubbers in long series is to make the final 3 games count to the WTC.

Given ideas for this concept have been thrown around for decades with nothing really sticking, and the one they finally go for has plenty of detractors, COVID couldn't have been worse timed. Also Euro's getting pushed back a year hurt - there wouldn't have been loads of interest if England missed out, but whatever little interest there would have been over here has been absolutely killed off.

Early wickets the key today in getting a result, think an Indian win is unlikely, but NZ could well get a chance of a chase if they get India cheaply.

What a weird match though, hope the final day gives us something special to make up for the rain.

Southee is such a good cricketer, was out of the NZ side a couple of years ago too and has made his way back. Has been a really consistent bowler for a long time now. He's also 15th on the all time list of most sixes in test cricket too haha.

Last edited:
Oh happy days. Is that sun I see shining on the Bowl. Was thinking.. what if the reserve day had've been a washout.

Southee is such a good cricketer,
Yes he is. His spell last nite was top shelf and has given the BCs a sniff. Southee seems to have been the under rated half of the Kiwi opening partnership. Looked up his and Boult's records and they are almost identical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conditions look much better for batting today with the sun out for the first time in the match, will make bowling India out much tougher.

Need to get some early wickets when there might still be a bit of swing around and the batsmen aren't settled in.

I don't agree with that. I would have been happy with more reserve days to ensure 450 overs were bowled but not timeless.
Me too corbies. 450 overs.. most sensible suggestion yet. Anything but a predictable draw. That is now unlikely as weather looks ok for this reserve day. Ball continues to dominate bat so knock off India's best two in the first hour and the BCs are in the box seat.

Yes he is. His spell last nite was top shelf and has given the BCs a sniff. Southee seems to have been the under rated half of the Kiwi opening partnership. Looked up his and Boult's records and they are almost identical.
Southee has been on about a three-year heater now which has bought his overall career record more or less in line with Boult.

In a full calendar year Boult's average has never gone below 23.9, but never above 33. Remarkably consistent but has never had a prolonged period where he has torn teams apart, although he has teased with doing so plenty of times.

Southee on the other hand has done the full range from 17 to 42, with most of his good years coming in the last few.

Someone tho is going to have offer the other a sporting declaration given the lack of time to conventionally play out a result.

Pujara does not seem to be in any hurry.

Hard to see it happening, both seem very comfortable playing it very patiently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back