Analysis Would the stand rule still have been introduced if Geelong had won the 2020 premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a sook campaigner.

Boils down to - on the current even playing field - everyone under the same rules - Richmond can't compete. Their midfield isn't good enough.

When you starting eating your own maybe you are the problem. Why are you jumping the gun and calling the midfield s**t when you haven’t seen Taranto or Hopper yet? Very weird man.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When you starting eating your own maybe you are the problem. Why are you jumping the gun and calling the midfield s**t when you haven’t seen Taranto or Hopper yet? Very weird man.

those two are so head*ed that they came to the team that destroyed them in a grand final… can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Agreed, it was a good post, great insight into Richmond copium techniques.
They were actually attempting to have a nuanced discussion on what has changed in how the game is officiated and therefore played. You on the other hand are responding with the equivalent of hur-hur-you're-crap. There were a couple of Tigers supporters doing the same the last few years: congratulations, you are now at the same level.

My own? This Sky person? Yeah doubt it.

It was your mate with the paragraphs about Richmond covering for their bad midfield, not me.

Looks like I’ll have to say it slowly.

Richmond sacrificed winning clearances and had a playing list and style developed and honed over 4-years that won games via scores from turnover. Other teams were better than Richmond at clearances and scoring from clearances as we didn’t need to win those to win games of footy.

AFL introduced a rule that enabled teams to more easily retain possession and move the ball. So with every team now able to move the ball and have less turnovers, clearances became more important as a source of scoring. Richmond’s style and playing list wasn’t strong on this area…. it’s not something you can just switch on overnight.

So this off-season we traded for 2 x big bodied clearance players as it’s not an area a team can’t sacrifice any more as we did from 2017-20.

And it wasn’t that Richmond kicked in-board where others didn’t. Richmond moved quickly from the back half, handballed forward and happily kicked to contests, as we trusted our backline to handle any turnovers as pressure through the middle was always high.

But the stand rule meant with teams able to transition through the corridor the pressure was reduced and the ball often came in with no pressure, hence we conceded scores too easily.

So previously losing clearances didn’t hurt us, and kicking to contests and potentially losing possession in our forward half didn’t hurt us as teams couldn’t ‘escape’ and we’d score from turnover. The ‘stand’ rule changed both those things and we’ve had to update our playing list accordingly.

Strange how this thread has evolved. originally it was almost a troll. Now it's a reverse troll. Cats posters trolling Tigers silly enough to describe what actually happened.

But one thing I would disagree with you, teams can move the ball more easily. Sort of, outside of about the forward 60. Teams drop back a long way defensively, until there is no room to move in anymore. So the stand rule is very effective in moving the ball from defence to forward of centre. Then almost always, especially if the oppo is organised, you have to kick to a contest. then the whole logic of the stand rule breaks down. Defences are too good now for kicks to contests to work most of the time. So the stand rule has meant that the game slows down and kicks inside 50 are under huge pressure at the contest. So scores go down.

But the stand rule also means that teams can set up plays where their contested ground ball beasts can get a lot to feed on. therefore the contested mids are more important than previously.

The Tigers did not adjust to the stand rule in 2021, appalling effort. in 2022 really good, but relied on a few fragile players. Couple of injuries and goodnight. So yes, the Tigers didn't play well under the stand rule. the midfield is transformed and so hopefully will be the team.

It's interesting that such a simple rule change has had such a major impact. Take the dynamism out of the game and teams adjust, in ways that end up quite different to the original intent. Given the original intent was more ball clean movement and scoring from marks/frees. That clean movement stops in the forward 50 now. Easy fix for the defensive coaches - allow movement until space runs out. But coaches then adjusted to a more attacking ground game, if they had the players.

I’m one of you mate. I got more love for Geelong than you ever will. Wanna know why? Like most Cats fans you’re probably old and in your 50s and grew up in a great time where you could afford a house. Me? That’ll never happen so I use footy and this website as an escape. Therefore football means more to me than it ever will you and absolutely that’s really sad and maybe I should seek help but it is what it is.

I’m just not wearing Geelong coloured glasses because I’m not biased.

I don’t think that people who aren’t interested in going to Kardinia Park are cats fans.

And you’ve spent enough time on this and every other thread as a Richmond apologist that LLD is absolutely right to call you out.

This whole thread is pathetic. Rules change, deal with it. The idea that this is some conspiracy theory to benefit Geelong is the dumbest non HodgePodge thread on this website.

I’m one of you mate. I got more love for Geelong than you ever will. Wanna know why? Like most Cats fans you’re probably old and in your 50s and grew up in a great time where you could afford a house. Me? That’ll never happen so I use footy and this website as an escape. Therefore football means more to me than it ever will you and absolutely that’s really sad and maybe I should seek help but it is what it is.

I’m just not wearing Geelong coloured glasses because I’m not biased.

Way off. Welcome to my ignore list.

Mate writing a novel doesn’t make a post correct.

The bottom line is that it all comes across as moaning and excuse making.

Pointing that out isn’t trolling.

It’s all good. Of course Richmond weren’t good enough, it’s why we didn’t win a final the last 2 years, let alone a flag.

I read a lot about how Richmond were ‘screwed by the stand rule’, but no-one really understands how or why. I get that oppo supporters don’t care as really it’s just ‘bad luck’ and we’ve got to suck it up.

But if anyone might care to actually become a bit
more educated on how football is played and the various playing styles teams use to win games of football my post might be beneficial…. I certainly doubt anyone will dispute it with anything resembling knowledge of the game, more likely just uneducated abuse….. But that’s fine

It is my opinion that it's not in the victory only, but also in the way of the victory, that the marvel is the greater.

To me there is nothing to marvel at with Geelong's flag win, the stand rule put an emphasis on winning clearances, and that's something that perennial finalists Geelong were always one of the best at. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the stand rule brought in by SHocking actually helped perennial finalists Geelong, maybe SHocking never knew that Geelong were one of the best clearance winning teams when coming up with the stand rule that obviously didn't hurt Geelong in any way, maybe SHocking never knew the stand rule would hurt Geelong's conquerors from the 2020 GF where SHocking himself had a seat, and bemoaned the way Richmond manned the mark?

It is my opinion that it's not in the victory only, but also in the way of the victory, that the marvel is the greater.

To me there is nothing to marvel at with Geelong's flag win, the stand rule put an emphasis on winning clearances, and that's something that perennial finalists Geelong were always one of the best at. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the stand rule brought in by SHocking actually helped perennial finalists Geelong, maybe SHocking never knew that Geelong were one of the best clearance winning teams when coming up with the stand rule that obviously didn't hurt Geelong in any way, maybe SHocking never knew the stand rule would hurt Geelong's conquerors from the 2020 GF where SHocking himself had a seat, and bemoaned the way Richmond manned the mark?
How many new accounts have you made purely to keep displaying your arse pain for all and sundry? We won, you lost the EF in embarrassingly hilarious fashion - it happened. It's almost 2023, just let it go, we were the best team by far all year. Your constant conspiracies are just a feeble attempt to escape the reality that your team has been mediocre over the past two seasons while the old and slow Geelong left you in our wake.

f665ea60bf5777da20058ccd551e367f

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many new accounts have you made purely to keep displaying your ass pain for all and sundry? We won, you lost the EF in embarrassingly hilarious fashion - it happened. It's almost 2023, just let it go, we were the best team by far all year. Your constant conspiracies are just a feeble attempt to escape the reality that your team has been mediocre over the past two seasons while the old and slow Geelong left you in our wake.

f665ea60bf5777da20058ccd551e367f
Must burn away at him looking at dropping down the ladder and Dads Army just keeps marching on

No need to get all bent outta shape guy, I just gave my opinion that the marvel is greater in the way of the victory, rather than just the victory. I have no probelm with perennial finalists Geelong obviously seeing it differently.

No need to get all bent outta shape guy, I just gave my opinion that the marvel is greater in the way of the victory, rather than just the victory. I have no probelm with perennial finalists Geelong obviously seeing it differently.
You may as well start calling us 'perennial premiership winners Geelong' considering we're on top of the perch when it comes to winning flags since the nice round year of 2000. No one has done it better in that timeframe. :thumbsu:

Bizarre theories going round on clearances and the stand rule and assisting Geelong.

Geelong clearances in 2022 were average, not even top 8, (were a lot better in 2021). 18th in Rebound 50s too...

Fresh new account and this sore arse display is what you choose for its first post?

Go create a new one and try again, maybe post something about the tiges.

Bizarre theories going round on clearances and the stand rule and assisting Geelong.

Geelong clearances in 2022 were average, not even top 8, (were a lot better in 2021). 18th in Rebound 50s too...
Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, in that order. These were your top 3 clearance winning teams this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back