Analysis Would the stand rule still have been introduced if Geelong had won the 2020 premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. When you’re reigning Premiers a Geelong gun is a Gun

A Geelong gun is a spud gun. 😁

is-retro-potato-spud-gun-yellow-octopus-30775074250_735x.jpg

How lonely you must be...

To recognise Atkins, de Koning, Close, Holmes and Stengle are not guns after one season of adequate footy you don’t need to be lonely Sttew. It just requires a balanced view of things. Basically 5 role players who enjoyed good seasons. You lot from the Costa Zoo are getting way ahead of yourselves. 😁

To recognise Atkins, de Koning, Close, Holmes and Stengle are not guns after one season of adequate footy you don’t need to be lonely Sttew. It just requires a balanced view of things. Basically 5 role players who enjoyed good seasons. You lot from the Costa Zoo are getting way ahead of yourselves. 😁
They won the premiership, they deserve all the credit they get. Tiges are back in the pack now with the rest of us.

No they're not. Gibcus is not a gun, he might be but he's not close at the moment.

For a 1st year player he is. Was a top 10 pick for a reason. Showed more that SDK in his 1st year. His kicking and 1v1 marking ability is insane. Maybe you didn’t watch him enough.

He also often played on the best forwards won quite a bit. Also had a tougher time than SDK cause our mid kept losing. Too many inside 50s to defend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Blues are “in the pack” after not finishing in the top 8 for the last 10 seasons? Think that is a different pack to the one Richmond is in. 😉
All the same pack, mate. It's entertainment, all that matters is the now. You can enjoy watching reruns though if you like, just find people who actually care if you want to chat about it.

For a 1st year player he is. Was a top 10 pick for a reason. Showed more that SDK in his 1st year. His kicking and 1v1 marking ability is insane. Maybe you didn’t watch him enough.

He also often played on the best forwards won quite a bit. Also had a tougher time than SDK cause our mid kept losing. Too many inside 50s to defend.

As of Rd 13 before Gibcus understandably started to tire late in his first season:

1669512234496.png

Then while he was cooling his jets in the VFL late season he produced this little taste of what awaits the AFL in future seasons. He was measured by GPS to be 38 feet off the ground with this leap. Cats fans will come to know of him soon enough. 😁

1669512338012.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you didn’t watch him enough.
I started looking out for him whenever the rising star discussion around SDK would be flooded with Tiggies claiming this Gibcus fella was far more deserving as a young KPD. About half-way through the year all that stopped and they quickly vacated the thread after SDK was eating up some of the best KPFs in the comp while the Richmond bloke didn't even register a nomination for the remainder of the year and got dumped into the ressies on a few occasions.

Just out of curiosity was he one of the six Tiggie defenders who was caught flat-flooted watching on as Joe Daniher ended your season? I don't remember.

Little off topic but FWIW I rate Gibcus highly for a first year player. He and SDK both look highly promising as key defenders.

For those that want to discuss which is/will be the better player, there is an excellent polls board you might have missed… HINT HINT

1669512968002.jpeg

I started looking out for him whenever the rising star discussion around SDK would be flooded with Tiggies claiming this Gibcus fella was far more deserving as a young KPD. About half-way through the year all that stopped and they quickly vacated the thread after SDK was eating up some of the best KPFs in the comp while the Richmond bloke didn't even register a nomination for the remainder of the year and got dumped into the ressies on a few occasions.

Just out of curiosity was he one of the six Tiggie defenders who was caught flat-flooted watching on as Joe Daniher ended your season? I don't remember.

1669513042258.png

Little off topic but FWIW I rate Gibcus highly for a first year player. He and SDK both look highly promising as key defenders.

For those that want to discuss which is/will be the better player, we have an excellent polls board you might have missed… HINT HINT

View attachment 1561918

It is bang on topic actually Zevon. Because if the stand rule wasn’t introduced, Richmond wouldn’t have Gibcus. Steve Hocking you wonderful human being. 😍

It is bang on topic actually Zevon. Because if the stand rule wasn’t introduced, Richmond wouldn’t have Gibcus. Steve Hocking you wonderful human being. 😍
Lol touché

As of Rd 13 before Gibcus understandably started to tire late in his first season:

View attachment 1561915

Then while he was cooling his jets in the VFL late season he produced this little taste of what awaits the AFL in future seasons. He was measured by GPS to be 38 feet off the ground with this leap. Cats fans will come to know of him soon enough.

View attachment 1561916

Yep gun, I don’t see how he doesn’t overtake SDK. Already beats him in 1v1 in a team who’s kid isn’t has good. Jumps higher and had one of the best kicks if not the best in his draft.

SDK is better now, I agree. Although Gibcus is better is 1v1 already us per the above stats. I’m telling you if you are in a premiership team it makes you look better than you actually are.

Yeah in his first final he cooked it a bit. Still learning and one play doesn’t define a player. Still better in 1v1 than SDK.

SDK is better now, I agree. Although Gibcus is better is 1v1 already us per the above stats. I’m telling you if you are in a premiership team it makes you look better than you actually are.

Yeah in his first final he cooked it a bit. Still learning and one play doesn’t define a player. Still better in 1v1 than SDK.

Not that I disagree with most of what you are saying but I would actually argue that key defender is the one position in the game where if you’re in a bad side it doesn’t effect how you’re rated.

Think of a guy like May or Fletcher or McGovern who played in some fairly ordinary sides at times - if the ball just comes in relentlessly people will always give you that excuse - and rightly so - that you can only do so much to prevent scores when the ball is ALWAYS up your end. People will remember (if they’re watching closely) the guys who might give up 3-4 goals in a game but also spoil and intercept raid after raid in between those goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back