Would you continue your support of the club if we bottomed out for 3 years?

What level of support would you offer the club if we went down the development path for 3 years?

• I'd continue my financial support of the club through my membership

Votes: 105 85.4%
  • I'd stop supporting the club financially but would remain a fan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I'd stop following the club entirely

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I'd begin financially supporting the club by becoming a member

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he actually try to deflect King's comments by claiming they were solely career driven?

Can he get away with that at the club? Seriously?

Does anybody want to argue now that the club ISN'T one big hyper insulated echo chamber?

Absolutely. Calling Kingy's comments career driven when Brad - of all people - has made a career out of silver tongued hijinks is laughable. Last I checked Brad Scott is the one looking at a career change in the near future while King is doing fine for himself.

Part of the reason I believe we need fresh eyes from another team in the football department (at the top). Someone with an impeccable premiership winning pedigree so they demand respect when it comes to making the changes required, but from another culture so that they aren't quite so beholden to accepted "truths" of North Melbourne team plans.

Did he actually try to deflect King's comments by claiming they were solely career driven?

Can he get away with that at the club? Seriously?

Does anybody want to argue now that the club ISN'T one big hyper insulated echo chamber?

“To be honest, I didn’t even read it. David is trying to forge a media career for himself. He has got to make comment that hopefully he believes in,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I think in situations like this — and I’ve been in situations like this a lot as a player, as an assistant coach and now as a senior coach — I’ve seen people respond really well to that and I’ve seen people capitulate.

“And the ones that struggle are the ones that get caught up in that and they lose the laser focus on where it should and they start to worry about things that they can’t control.

“I think criticism and accountability is really important in our industry. I think you should be able to withstand criticism and crave accountability, because those who don’t crave accountability are either lazy or inept. If it was something I was concerned about then I would act on it.”

Absolutely. Calling Kingy's comments career driven when Brad - of all people - has made a career out of silver tongued hijinks is laughable. Last I checked Brad Scott is the one looking at a career change in the near future while King is doing fine for himself.

Part of the reason I believe we need fresh eyes from another team in the football department (at the top). Someone with an impeccable premiership winning pedigree so they demand respect when it comes to making the changes required, but from another culture so that they aren't quite so beholden to accepted "truths" of North Melbourne team plans.

If you go to his interview with Robinson it's basically, (~ 0:30) David King: (former player, former assistant coach), and a career agenda driven journo ( despite playing over 200 games for the club) vs Brad Scott: former player, former assistant coach and senior coach (Never pulled on a North jumper)..........who has been in this situation "a lot".

Then amazingly at (~2:50) he waffles on about how star spangled magnificent the media is for football............before waffling on about football as "product"!

However, the best insight in to him in this interview for me is around 4:20.

Scott: WE undertook the biggest exodus of experience off the list........WE undertook a rebuild..............last year........We went on to win 12 games

Then

Scott: The problem that NORTH has (spoken in the 3rd person).........it's very difficult to tell your fans gee it's going to be a long hard road etc.,...........

The former players and current supporters of this club are a foreign entity to the current coach, and apparently that sits alright with the board.

Scott: The problem that NORTH has (spoken in the 3rd person).........it's very difficult to tell your fans gee it's going to be a long hard road etc.,...........

The former players and current supporters of this club are a foreign entity to the current coach, and apparently that sits alright with the board.

It is such revisionist nonsense though, there is not a chance in hell they felt this way before our 1-5 start.

Leaving that aside it's only difficult because that's not the message we've been giving and it's not the way we've been developing our squad over the last 3 years. What is most galling about it, is that apparently our head coach - and by extension our club - feel that it is appropriate to blame our fans for the fact that they don't have the guts to do what needs to be done. I can't even fathom the f***ing stupidity of this as a concept. Of course, this is the same club that ships games off to another state without barely a by your leave 5 mins after putting their hand out for more cash from supporters. They honestly have no f***ing idea what their fans think and feel because they have clearly stopped giving a toss about it some time ago.

Broom through the whole place IMO.

It is such revisionist nonsense though, there is not a chance in hell they felt this way before our 1-5 start.

March 6th, 2019:

Write us off at your own peril, declares Roos coach

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/write-us-off-at-your-own-peril-declares-roos-coach

Then

April 29th, 2019:

"The problem that North has, to be perfectly honest ... it's very difficult to tell your fans 'gee, it's going to be a long hard road guys'. - Brad Scott

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/6096642/north-coach-defends-list-amid-afl-struggle/?cs=10231

Last edited:
March 6th, 2019:

Write us off at your own peril, declares Roos coach

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/write-us-off-at-your-own-peril-declares-roos-coach

Then

April 29th, 2019:

"The problem that North has, to be perfectly honest ... it's very difficult to tell your fans 'gee, it's going to be a long hard road guys'. - Brad Scott

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/6096642/north-coach-defends-list-amid-afl-struggle/?cs=10231

Exactly.

FWIW I don't necessarily agree with Brad on this concept (if he even believes it). A premiership is always a hard road (unless you're kissed on the d*ck by head office) but it doesn't have to be long IMO.

Exactly.

FWIW I don't necessarily agree with Brad on this concept (if he even believes it). A premiership is always a hard road (unless you're kissed on the d*ck by head office) but it doesn't have to be long IMO.

If you spend your entire existence focusing on "just being competitive", then that's all you will ever achieve.

Never a truer word spoken.
Applies to pretty much everything in life*

Except those lucky campaigners that win lotto!

Exactly. Hard work is no guarantee of anything except hard work. However it would seem significantly more probable to succeed with what resources you have than gambling.

Exactly. Hard work is no guarantee of anything except hard work. However it would seem significantly more probable to succeed with what resources you have than gambling.
Yes, I heard a saying once something like ‘you can’t rely on good luck, but you can deserve it’
The harder you work, the luckier you get

Thing is we as it stands we pretty much have bottomed out for 3 years already. We finished low to get LDU, widely tipped to finish bottom 4 last season and look bottom 1-3 this season. Maybe we over achieved last season, yet still didnt make finals so not exactly what you'd consider a successful year....id hope.

Thing is we as it stands we pretty much have bottomed out for 3 years already. We finished low to get LDU, widely tipped to finish bottom 4 last season and look bottom 1-3 this season. Maybe we over achieved last season, yet still didnt make finals so not exactly what you'd consider a successful year....id hope.

I can't believe that you're buying in to the crap that 12 wins is some freak anomaly.

3 wins maybe, but 12? Come on man! Use your common sense.

This hype is just self reinforcing bullshit utilised by people who North made look stupid last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe that you're buying in to the crap that 12 wins is some freak anomaly.

3 wins maybe, but 12? Come on man! Use your common sense.

This hype is just self reinforcing bullshit utilised by people who North made look stupid last season.

I didnt but im starting to wonder. Out of the 3 seasons (including this one) its starting to look like it was partly over achieving (stung but lack of respect) and perhaps partly because other clubs not being 100% on in a super draft year.
Im generally glass half full, but mindful that can lead to over estimating the potential of a list.

Heres the facts: Bookmakers (money talks) have not had us a serious contender for 20 years. Probably 18 of those years as unlikely making the 8.

I didnt but im starting to wonder. Out of the 3 seasons (including this one) its starting to look like it was partly over achieving (stung but lack of respect) and perhaps partly because other clubs not being 100% on in a super draft year.
Im generally glass half full, but mindful that can lead to over estimating the potential of a list.

Heres the facts: Bookmakers (money talks) have not had us a serious contender for 20 years. Probably 18 of those years as unlikely making the 8.

I get that you are puzzled by everything, that's understandable, but to suggest that our list is poor/average with a 12 year winning season sandwiched in the middle of this rebuild, is to deny something that is beyond random chance.

It's bullshit mate. Don't buy it. It's a narrative designed to:

1) Support "journalists" that the club made look stupid last season.
2) Support a coach who has strong links (along with his twin brother) with that same media.
3) Support a coach who has strong links at AFL headquarters.
4) Support a distraction in the undermining of the club, by people who have an historically supported agenda in the undermining of the club.
5) Support the uber-reactionary supercoach mentality who cannot see beyond a short term stats column when it comes to football analysis.

Last edited:
I get that you are puzzled by everything, that's understandable, but to suggest that our list is poor/average with a 12 year winning season sandwiched in the middle of this rebuild, is to deny something that is beyond random chance.

It's bullshit mate. Don't buy it. It's a narrative designed to:

1) Support "journalists" that the club made look stupid last season.
2) Support a coach who has strong links (along with his twin brother) with that same media.
3) Support a coach who has strong links at AFL headquarters.
4) Support a distraction in the undermining of the club, by people who have an historically supported agenda in the undermining of the club.
5) Support the uber-reactionary supercoach mentality who cannot see beyond a short term stats column when it comes to football analysis.

Its not a narrative ive picked up from anywhere its my own observations. Ive barely listened or watched any AFL media this season. I watch 3-4 matches a week and read on here thats about it.

You must admit we've been sucked in so many times over almost 20 years thinking that we're real close given 12ish wins (8-10th) the season before.

Its not a narrative ive picked up from anywhere its my own observations. Ive barely listened or watched any AFL media this season. I watch 3-4 matches a week and read on here thats about it.

You must admit we've been sucked in so many times over almost 20 years thinking that we're real close given 12ish wins (8-10th) the season before.

I agree. There needs to be radical root and branch change at all levels of the club, but I honestly don't believe that includes the list UNTIL it gets properly analysed under a better administration and football department.

The Brayshaw/Scott era has served it's purpose, but it's now time to move on again.

The next coach MUST be given an opportunity to properly analyse what is already there.

Looks like I will have to buy those extra memberships again Dirty 11 if that's the case, 43 is my record for one yr. Hope I don't have to better that, I am sure we will battle through it.
I don't get why footy clubs can't offer tax deductible donations instead.
If be inclined to offer more .

Good on you.

People like you deserve a personalised explanation from BS after each game for the insipid performance and game day lack of strategy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not only do we need to bottom out for 2 or 3 years but we need a clean out of line coaches and admin staff starting with Brad Scott.

We won't progress much by doing the former and not the latter, we need a full scale club make over from top to bottom.
I'm not convinced we need to bottom out. A fresh coach and footy department should be given the opportunity to see where we are at.

I'm not convinced we need to bottom out. A fresh coach and footy department should be given the opportunity to see where we are at.

We don't need much at all. Another burst midfielder in the Higgins mould, and another ruckman.

I have been a follower of the Roos since the late 50's and a member in some form for the majority of those years. Trust me, there have been far darker periods for the club than what exist today. Years when a solitary win was celebrated like there was no tomorrow and then the glorious mid-late 70's and mid- late 90's. We, the supporters, have always been there and will continue to do so. The club needs to bite the bullet and make the changes needed to secure the long term future of the club, whether it be new coaching staff and the gradual change to the playing group, or both.

Of course I would support us if we bottomed out, but I genuinely don't think we need to, the talent is there. We just need to reshape the gameplan and the mentality pushed by the coach.

I'd say that getting only 12 wins makes your list dead average. I mean, we did finish in the middle of the ladder.

I'd say that getting only 12 wins makes your list dead average. I mean, we did finish in the middle of the ladder.

12 wins after a top shelf clean out?

There's nothing "average" about that. Neither is there anything "average" about crashing 12 months later.

We don't need much at all. Another burst midfielder in the Higgins mould, and another ruckman.
Key defender too.

We literally have no idea where our list is at, because they are capable of scintillating footy.

A fresh football department would need a season or two.

I also wonder who a new coach would delist, drop and promote

Back