Preview Yer A Lizard Harry - Magic Round - Richmond VS Sydney - Adelaide Oval - Friday 8:10PM (GMT)

Who will win

• Sydney 1-7

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Sydney 8-20

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Sydney 20-39

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Sydney 39+

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Richmond 1-7

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Richmond 8-20

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Richmond 20-39

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Richmond 39+

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Wingardium Leviosa

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I would like to start of this preview with some extreme anger directed at Ticketek. Originally I signed up to write up this match as myself and 5 mates had booked a 4 day pass for Magic Gather Round, but we were contacted last Wednesday by Ticketek and informed that our tickets had been accidentally allocated to other customers and supplied with a refund as they couldn't replace them for us. So I am a little bit salty over missing this game - Anyways if you think my vent is over, well we are just beginning.

Official Preview Richmond Vs Sydney

IHGuialY.jpg

The Season so far

Richmond

Starting off with a spirited comeback against Carlton that ended out with a draw and then a very good win over Adelaide, Richmond's season has hit a bit of a standstill in the last two weeks. A loss to Collingwood where they were lucky to be within 3 goals followed by a close loss to the Bulldogs.

Drastically out of form with a few of their veteran players looking to have aged (Riewoldt and Cotchin in particular), these issues have also been compounded by injury to a few key players, Short is the lynchpin for Richmond from defence, Robbie Tarrant is crucial to their defensive structures and Broads suspension came at a really bad time for the club.

Although they have brought in both Taranto and Hopper, whilst they have round the ball at will outside of Taranto's earlier BOG performance this season you could question the impact on Richmond's matches as their midfield has still struggled at times and been compromised in several matches by large momentum shifts.

Sadly for us, Richmond under Hardwick have always performed well under adversary and I expect them to put in a great performance this weekend/ rise from the dead like a Phoenix.

Sydney

We all know how it has gone for us this year.

Rounds 1-2 - BRILLIANT went down as nicely as a good flagon of Fire Whisky or Butter Beer

Rounds 3-4 - All the positivity of Punts in a preview thread and all the pain of a nicely timed Crucio curse.

Honestly I don't think it is as bad as some of us are making it out to be.

We had our chances against Melbourne early and didn't take them, this allowed Melbourne to get away to an early lead. Yes we came back, but a well time substitution of Brown off for Melksham put us on the back foot a little bit and we then took too many risks trying to get back into the match and blew out the margin. (WE were also off by 5-10% on the day and this happens a few times each season to all teams).

Against Port, we had them done early on, but the Tom McCartin injury forced a massive restructure of our defence and this didn't help, in fact you could argue it was the turning point of the game as Port kicked the next 5? goals as soon as he went off. Charlie Dixon was getting a bath by Tom, but we were forced to move an undersized Rampe to Dixon after this, this also ensure that Blakey was played in a more defensive role so we lost some rebound in defence (Until we loosened him up late in the game).

Honestly still think we could have won the Port match, but the boys would have been a little shaken seeing Paddy go off like that and the Tom injury forced a massive restructure of our defence and ensured we played a player down for the entire match. It sucks but it happens, the best thing we can hope for is a good rebound.

Tactics - What does Sydney have to do on Friday night?

I know I am preaching to the choir here (Obviously led by Professor Flitwick for Ticky009 ) but we need to address our movement going inside 50, it is A LOT stronger when we are not targeting Franklin or he is on the bench (It means we are then targeting Papley, Logan and Heeney). I'm not 100% sure what we can do to resolve this in one week outside of resting Franklin (I don't personally think he has the agility/ endurance to play up the ground any more), but I will trust Longmire to make the right call here.

Honestly liked it against Port when we were targeting Heeney at the top of the square and Papley a bit further up, both are nightmarish match-ups for their height in the air and have brilliant agility at ground level to makes things happen, so would like to see more of this on Friday (Also lets stop moving Papley into the midfield for the moment, yes it has worked great in the past, but we all know where he is most dangerous).

Speaking of the midfield, this week it is all going to come down to how we deal with Richmond's pressure, they are high in the league for both one percenters (Averaging 53 a match) and tackles (64 a game). If we can find a way to absorb this, then this victory will be easier than having a one night stand after slipping your target a bit of Love Potion from Weasley Wizard Wheezes.

I'm not concerned about our rebound and overlapping run from defence as I personally believe this part of our game has been exceptional this year (Florent has proven this entire board wrong time and time again and I am loving the recognition he is receiving now). Blakey, Llyod and Rampe have also been in very solid form in this regards as well this year.

Our key defensive structure will be a bit different though, Richmond are likely to line up a little shorter up forward with Lynch out, but we will still need match ups for Ryan, Riewoldt (Who will come back in for Lynch) and Martin. Gould is a natural inclusion to the side to play the McCartin role, whilst I would prefer Rampe to man up against Martin, this leave Fox probably to play as an undersized defender on Riewoldt and either Blakey or Francis to play on Ryan.

Other Player Notes

The Chad - Honestly loving Chad's start to the season so far, personally believe he has 5 Brownlow votes currently so far and Richmond is the perfect match up for him. I expect Chad to cut up Richmond as nicely as a well placed Sectumsempra curse.

Heeney - Yes Heeney has started off the season pretty slow, but honestly felt like he started reviving a bit in the last quarter of the Port Adelaide match, honestly he could have been the winner for us at the end and I am expecting him to blow Richmond to pieces just like Reducto.

Franklin - I personally think he has gone on one season too long and would prefer he was "rested" this weekend. But hopefully I am wrong and his performance is as well timed as a nice Obliviate forcing me to forget his recent form.

Blakey - Probably my favourite Swans player currently has improved his defensive game drastically and his rebound/ running from defence is up there with the best I have ever seen. A WIZARD Lizard

adobe_20230409_224754-jpg.1655205

Final Predictions

Honestly think this game can go either way, but if we can absorb Richmond's pressure and the defence can cover for the loss of the McCartin brothers then I am expecting us to win.

Sydney by 14 points (Sydney by 29 points if Buddy is "Rested")

I am struggling to think of a game the Swans have played since I began watching where we are going into it with such an undermanned defence.

For as long as I can remember we always had at least one top quality key defender in the team, in the Bolton/Barry era, the Richards/Grundy era and now the McCartin/McCartin era. In those times our key defenders rarely miss games and almost never miss games at the same time.

Hard to gauge where we are at this season. We lost our defence but Richmond have lost Lynch which will help balance things out.

Ill duck for cover but Blakeys reputation on here is miles ahead of his actual output

His actual defensive work is pretty s**t

Kicks in well, and looks good at times, when he takes it on its great. Has all the skills, but almost played 100 games, time to give us more than a bit of flash occasionally just my opinion.

Ill duck for cover but Blakeys reputation on here is miles ahead of his actual output

His actual defensive work is pretty s**t

Kicks in well, and looks good at times but almost played 100 games, time to give us more than a bit of flash occasionally just my opinion

Defence is okay without being more than that but he is very good when attacking. Blakey is mainly in defence due to his ability to setup attacking plays.

Defence is okay without being more than that but he is very good when attacking. Blakey is mainly in defence due to his ability to setup attacking plays.

yeah understand, but you have to actually occasionally defend your opponent even in an attacking role.

If he could become elite (he has those skills) we would be ******* awesome

Think we should bring in Francis and Gould to replace the McCartin's then move Fox into the starting lineup with Campbell replacing Cunningham(Omitted) up forward.

Then we move Buddy to sub where he can hopefully come on in the last and impact the game with Sheldrick or Roberts coming onto the bench.

Play a smaller more mobile team and emphasize the pressure work in the forward line.

Buddy to stun the AFL with a surprise late career re-awakening as a KPD.

Which feels about as likely as a mythical Gould debut.

But in cold hard reality-land:

Out: Tommy Mac, Paddy Mac, Buddy

In: Fox, Sheldrick, Melican (if he’s available?)

If Melican isn’t available - then we surely see Gould debut.

Surely?

PS: onya Bonz, great preview

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview Bonz, shame to hear about the tickettek fiasco. Hope you get lucky with some great tickets later in the season.

Outs: McCartin bros, Cunningham, Buddy
Ins: Fox, Gould, Clarke, Roberts, happy for anyone to be the sub

I've said it before but I would love for Heeney & Papley to be our main targets in the fwd 50. Thought Heeney had his best game of the season, even though it was still way below his best.

I would love to see us win the contested footy & clearances, especially considering our defence will be stretched & undersized with both McCartin bros out. It's more onus on our mids to lead us to victory. Hard 2 way running is needed, I think Roberts will be a suitable addition to the team this week. It also allows flexibility to drop Mills into defence if needed with Roberts filling some of his role in the mids.

I hope Rowbottom hunts the ball a bit more, I want to see the offensive side of his game. Sometimes a good offence is better than a good defence.

I'm expecting Warner & Gulden to have monster games.

We might see Blakey in a KPD role, something to keep an eye for the future? Imo if he can put on some size, he could be a great KPD for us.

Great stuff Bonz

Richmond really aren’t anything special, so a loss would be real alarm bells stuff. I know we’re going in undermanned in defence but they’ll be missing Lynch, meaning their main targets will be Jack Riewoldt who’s about to turn 65, and Dusty Martin who’s hardly the force of old. Perfect opponent for us to get while we’re missing key backmen really.

Reckon we win this well. Big concerns if we don’t.

Great preview Bonz . You have the basis of a suit against Ticketek or at least to demand compensation.

Another 6 day break and our first marquee time slot of the year. The AFL really are Arseholes from ElPaso.

If there is such a thing as horse sense, the Coaches and crew must put in 110% this week. I am not convinced the Coaches are in form.

I did not like some of the vision of Horse doing his block on the boundary line. There was no composure. Back to the stable coach’s box for Horse. If he cannot control himself on the bench, he has no business being there. Put Cox on the bench. The going defensive when we were 20 points up was classic Horse playbook. Really Horse? The Oppo invariably come back. Why haven’t you learnt what Jack Hill the Blind Miner can see?

After two poor performances by all and sundry, keeping stability and morale up is obviously critical. The team will be devastated by the Paddy situation and the if onlys of Ollie’s kick.

New team rules

• Lloyd, Parker and Ladhams are banned from I50 kicks. $10,000 fine for each infringement.
  • Anyone else committing useless floaty kicks I50. $5,000 fine
  • Coach banned from directing unwarranted defensive play late in Qs or late in the game. $50,000 fine
  • Forwards fined for missing easy shots at goal $5,000 fine
  • Just for this game kick it to Hayward so he gets the ball a bit and we can con a SA team to put in a ott offer

Outs - Paddy and Tommy, Cunningham, Buddy (23rd)
Ins - Fox, Gould, Francis, Sheldrick

Great preview Bonz . You have the basis of a suit against Ticketek or at least to demand compensation.

You would assume so, but their terms and conditions are rediculous. Think I might contact the club.

Think we should bring in Francis and Gould to replace the McCartin's then move Fox into the starting lineup with Campbell replacing Cunningham(Omitted) up forward.

Then we move Buddy to sub where he can hopefully come on in the last and impact the game with Sheldrick or Roberts coming onto the bench.

Play a smaller more mobile team and emphasize the pressure work in the forward line.
This times 1000!

Great preview Bonz, absolutely nailed the Harry Potter references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back