YES, the football league. (and should the AFL comment on social issues)

The league formerly known as the AFL is doing the right thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all just proved to me how narrow minded most gay people are.No respect for society's rules they just think it's all about them.
And you wonder why people call you a bigot?

We know why, it would take away time, funding and access these groups have to other peoples children to expose them to their social engineering agendas.

It's no coincidence the rise of this safe schools program has risen around the same time a massive push has come for SSM.

The two issues should be separate from each other but one is being used a wedge to have the other pushed upon the education system. We have a war of ideologies being played out in the schools and it's absolute bullshit these groups on both sides are being given access to other peoples children to conduct it.
See, this is where you live in that conservative alternate reality.

The reason we are having this vote now is to stop the Liberal Party from tearing itself apart. Members who are ideologically supportive of SSM or those that polling show they could lose their seat if an election was fought on it, are the people responsible for this "push". The hard right of the party are ideologically beholden to born-again ideology and are fighting back.

The country is spending $120M+ to keep these idiots in power.

All the AFL is promoting is themselves. They feel the yes vote will be overwhelming so they've jumped on the bandwagon, like everything else they do. They're always happy to make statements when they think the overwhelming majority will agree with them. As for "equality", everything they've done of late is a true indication they couldn't give a s**t about it. The last thing dictatorships are interested in is equality.

yes look, i see your point...but, if you are a true believer in this change, then why not support the AFL for doing the right thing for a change....

Let's put it on the table, then - you're going on with irrelevant s**t. You're linking escalating global tensions that could potentially end in war and the death of thousands, if not millions (based on the rhetoric from the US and NK) to two people getting married. One is at least somewhat of a concern for all of us (even in Australia), the other is two people getting married.

I'm more than happy for everyone to have an opinion, as long as they're able to explain the basis for having it. Why is gay marriage 'wrong'? An opinion shouldn't be classed as such if it's based on nothing... other than you hating gay people. It's a belief, which I'm happy to tolerate, as long as it's not imposed on the idea that any two people can get married.
You're wrong on both counts. The act of a NK rocket fired over Japan does not affect me as a SSM doesn't affect me as l type but l'm
allowed an opinion on both so stop crapping on about nuclear war, l never said anything about a war.
I've known gay people in my life, some l've liked, some l haven't so your idea l hate gay people is simply a false assertion.
As stated l'm happy for the country to recognise gay relationships but not call it marriage. You can reply, l'm done.

And you wonder why people call you a bigot?
Anyway no matter how much your yes team jumps up and down commonsense will prevail, the people don't want this gays marrying gays bullshit and will vote accordingly.
Accept it.

Anyway no matter how much your yes team jumps up and down commonsense will prevail, the people don't want this gays marrying gays bullshit and will vote accordingly.
Accept it.

You're a fortune teller Wow! Amazing! Lets be realistic nobody can know with absolute certainty which way the vote will end up going and to say the people don't want gay marriage just comes across as just stubbornness on your part there are plenty of Australians who want this and will be voting yes for gay marriage and they are part of "the people" as well accept it.

Well I have no doubt you haven't read much.

I am not here to defend same sex marriage. As mentioned I couldn't give a s**t. But I will say I cannot stand the yes campaign and the moronic lefties who push their hatred on others. As I said, you know the ones, you see them on q and a every week. With your mass generalisations of people and hatred of big footy followers, perhaps you should join the abc audience.

So you still can't give a reason.

Jog on you bigot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put a number to it then, is it greater then the ones who oppose it, are the ones who want Sharia law introduced greater then the ones who don't? What's the number roughly would you say?
Polls vary to be honest, and it's very rarely asked as 'Do you want Sharia' Yes or No

One poll indicated that nearly 1 in 4 of British believed that Sharia should replace British law, 52% said homosexuality should be illegal, 39% said women should honour their husbands at all times, while 33% refused to say that stoning women for adultery is condemnable. https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey

Granted these polls are rather old but in 2007, a poll revealed that 36% of 16-24 year old British muslims believed that apostatizing from Islam should be punishable by death. While 37% from the same age group prefer Sharia to British law. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6309983.stm

The most shocking one for me, and most relevant to this thread is that one poll revealed that of 500 questioned Brithish Muslims, 0 said that homosexuality was morally acceptable.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Actually, I voted no because that's what I believe in. I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. I believe that this is a requirement for marriage to take place rather than just simply a devotion to one another. To me, belief and the non-changing rules that I follow are the most important thing. More important than desire or attraction. Something that has always been the case and something that cannot be changed. It's nothing to do with bigotry.
People immediately tie voting "no" to bigotry or being a homophobe. I don't treat gay people any differently to other people. However, I'm not going to adopt a different belief system.
Why should your beliefs govern the way other people live?

How will gay people getting married affect you?

The reason we are having this vote now is to stop the Liberal Party from tearing itself apart. Members who are ideologically supportive of SSM or those that polling show they could lose their seat if an election was fought on it, are the people responsible for this "push". The hard right of the party are ideologically beholden to born-again ideology and are fighting back.

I'm not a conservative though. I'm anti-Government and anti-authoritarian. The three major parties are all about telling us what we can and can't do. Screw them and their sheep followers.

I'm not taking part in this vote because I think it's stupid and I hate the concept of compulsory voting. So when a Government tells me I don't have to vote, I'm not voting.

I do however support anyone getting married, none of my business, none of the Governments business either. I don't support other ideologies being tied into it however.

The reason we are having this vote is because Labor/Greens didn't bring it in when they had the chance which shows they to are beholden to ideologies as well. The reason why the Liberals are moving the needle ever so slowly toward it being legalised is because they aren't beholden to some stupid caucus and the chance of a Liberal politician crossing the floor exists.

Not sure why people are bleating on about the $122 million when if it leads to SSM then it did its job. Governments waste money all the time. Most of the people moaning about the cost most likely vote for a party that's also cost the tax payers billions. This is the first chance that SSM has to actually go through, don't look that gift horse in the mouse and slap it.

I'm not a conservative though. I'm anti-Government and anti-authoritarian. The three major parties are all about telling us what we can and can't do. Screw them and their sheep followers.

I'm not taking part in this vote because I think it's stupid and I hate the concept of compulsory voting. So when a Government tells me I don't have to vote, I'm not voting.

I do however support anyone getting married, none of my business, none of the Governments business either. I don't support other ideologies being tied into it however.

The reason we are having this vote is because Labor/Greens didn't bring it in when they had the chance which shows they to are beholden to ideologies as well. The reason why the Liberals are moving the needle ever so slowly toward it being legalised is because they aren't beholden to some stupid caucus and the chance of a Liberal politician crossing the floor exists.

Not sure why people are bleating on about the $122 million when if it leads to SSM then it did its job. Governments waste money all the time. Most of the people moaning about the cost most likely vote for a party that's also cost the tax payers billions. This is the first chance that SSM has to actually go through, don't look that gift horse in the mouse and slap it.
Nobody ever admits to being a conservative - a bit like nobody ever admits to being a bigot.

However I agree with most of that. As I said earlier in the thread, Labor have been as disingenuous as any party on this issue.

In regards to the cost, it's not just the cost. It's the fact a government is using that amount of money to prevent parliament from doing it's job.

It's absurd & cannot be justified.

Lets call a spade a spade here, and Im happy to stand corrected, but I haven't read/heard/seen anyone say "I am voting no on the basis that it does not align with the beliefs of my religion" While I don't agree with it whatsoever, it's a understandable and respectful stance, and wouldn't shout down anyone who presented that.
It would, however, invite the question: why should your beliefs govern how other people live?

What is the limit to that?

If a group of fundamentalist Christians wanted to ban drinking, gambling and premarital sex because it "did not align with their beliefs", should everyone else be compelled to "respect" that?

I'd suggest that, actually, a ferocious push-back against religious overreach would be more fitting. Put it up in neon lights: just because you believe something, it doesn't mean you have the right to make everyone else comply.

It's one thing to respect everyone's right to an opinion and to make up their own minds and have their own agency. It's another to respect whatever they say, even if it amounts to imposing their beliefs on others. There's no magic rule that everyone has to respect that.

Yeah, shame on that nasty government for conforming to a pesky, problematic democratic vote. What's the point of stupid things like democracies anyway?
We should be more like the Soviet Union.

Back