your favourite years or era of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

1970s. When footy was glam. And rugged. Sideboards. 4 supercoaches going head to head. Eskies at the footy.

I liked the trips to suburban grounds in the 80’s. In terms of quality of football to watch, it would be late 80’s and 90’s.

70's and early 80's
Be first in line for the gate to open to get seat behind goals and watch both reserves and seniors.
Catch the train and tram to the suburban grounds.
Riding on the board of the tram going flat knacker down Royal Parade because there was no room in the tram.
Meeting supporters from other games when swapping trains at Flinder's Street.
Getting in the rooms after the game.

Loved the early 2000s, I was in my late teens/early 20s, absolutely loved Buckley & will always see him as the greatest to play the game (in my extremely biased & one-eyed opinion) and felt like there was still a chance that Malthouse might discover me during a local game and recruit me.

Loved the early 10s, I got to go to 3 grand finals in two years and we had so many exciting players like didak, Leon and daisy, tearing it up. I was in late 20s/early 30s and I thought there was still a slight chance that Bucks might discover me during a local game and recruit me.

Loving the game right now, we've got an amazing mix of young talent and experienced heads, and the club is more wholesome and positive than it's ever been. I'm in my late 30s, and I'm starting to think it's a little unlikely that Fly will recruit me from one of my masters games.

After a little shroom tea and some Joe Rogan branded DMT muffins, I've seen the future and the early 2050s are my favorite era.
AFL is non-binary, and Nicola Daicos is averaging 40 possessions a game, and They are on track to win the brownlow. Umpires are a big issue at the moment, and people are discussing whether we need a 13th on the field.
Everyone's favorite segment is 'Roaming ChatGPT' in the change rooms after the game, and next season we're welcoming the league's 30th team, the 'Wagga Wagga Wombats'

The sport will never be as good as it was in the 80's and 90's imo. Those times really were footys peak years.

There was no flooding, no defensive systems, there was just simple and uncomplicated man on man football. Just kick the ball up into the forwards and contest it man on man. The demise set in some time around the mid noughties imo.

That's the way it goes though things change and evolve, and it's not always for the better sadly. When you reach the top of the mountain the only way is down unfortunately.

Carlton being rubbish for all of the modern era has nothing to do with it. I just get way more enjoyment watching a game from the 80's and 90's, than i do from watching a game from the current era. The demise of AFL footy as a spectacle started after the reign of the three peat Brisbane Lions team ended imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sport will never be as good as it was in the 80's and 90's imo. Those times really were footys peak years.

There was no flooding, no defensive systems, there was just simple and uncomplicated man on man football. Just kick the ball up into the forwards and contest it man on man. The demise set in some time around the mid noughties imo.

That's the way it goes though things change and evolve, and it's not always for the better sadly. When you reach the top of the mountain the only way is down unfortunately.

Carlton being rubbish for all of the modern era has nothing to do with it. I just get way more enjoyment watching a game from the 80's and 90's, than i do from watching a game from the current era. The demise of AFL footy as a spectacle started after the reign of the three peat Brisbane Lions team ended imo.
Early 2000's was amazing, too. You had hard bumps, high scoring, players able to actually kick further than 50 metres, rougher contested plays that are illegal now, and better skills during that time than today. One of the best games I've seen is the Essendon v Kangaroos game in 2001. FOX Footy rated the 17th best game which is a joke, should be much higher.

The 80’s was the best. Not even sure what the sport is anymore. Hardly watch it these days. A game I used to live and breathe is nothing more than a passing interest now.

I will say 1990.

A nice mix of old school and early technology.

Kind of the early days of coperate with old school.

Like those days of the early electronic scoreboard and adverts at the game.

The top 3 were at the peak of their times Collingwood Carlton and Essendon.

In the midst of the Hawks era.

Darkhorse in Melbourne and geelong.

Plus the early interstate raider in west coast eagles.

Had the best of both worlds.

And things were cheap.

I moved to WA 20 years ago.
Some older guys I know talk about the huge crowds they used to get in the 70s and 80s for games like East v South Fremantle, etc.
They reckon the atmosphere was awesome, fierce rivalry between the WAFL clubs and their supporters.
I imagine the SANFL would have been similar.

I like the AFL as it has become, but it would be great to still have those big clubs and crowds in every state.

So maybe footy was at its best back then?

Dunno, I guess the evolution to AFL was inevitable.

Ill go also early and mid 90s.

Kind of the later days of Waverely and footy park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back