your favourite years or era of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't agree more

I loved the idea of AFL but the reality is the SANFL, WAFL and VFL were better for football

I know the AFL has to move forward, but is the game getting better? The last 20 years have seen an organization trying desperately to fix something that really wasn't all that broken and all they appeared to have done is ended up breaking it themselves. The constant rule changes eat away at the fabric of the game, an MRO that is over sanitising the whole competition and the media make mountains out of molehills with booing. The fans are booing out of frustration more than anything else. Football has become very confusing not just for the fans, but the players don't know what to do anymore let alone the coaches? To spoil or not to spoil, that is the question. Tackling is just about on its last legs and the bump is pretty much dead, what game have we got right now?

I know the AFL has to move forward, but is the game getting better? The last 20 years have seen an organization trying desperately to fix something that really wasn't all that broken and all they appeared to have done is ended up breaking it themselves. The constant rule changes eat away at the fabric of the game, an MRO that is over sanitising the whole competition and the media make mountains out of molehills with booing. The fans are booing out of frustration more than anything else. Football has become very confusing not just for the fans, but the players don't know what to do anymore let alone the coaches? To spoil or not to spoil, that is the question. Tackling is just about on its last legs and the bump is pretty much dead, what game have we got right now?

One thing I liked about local footy is the two supporter bases at the ground, being of relatively equal representation.

Where a WCE contest is 98% vs 2%. The result is a loss of atmosphere.

So not only is the game not better (I don't like the modern crowded game and the defensive tactics that inhibit marking), the atmosphere is lost.

80s and 90s was great football. The growing era of professionalism but before footballers started being replaced by athletes.

Even the early 2000s I loved watching Brisbane play. Their style was so tough, so skillful and so uncompromising.

Obviously our 3-peat but that is just recency and being a supporter.

The 1989 grand final was true football.

80s and 90s was great football. The growing era of professionalism but before footballers started being replaced by athletes.

Even the early 2000s I loved watching Brisbane play. Their style was so tough, so skillful and so uncompromising.

Obviously our 3-peat but that is just recency and being a supporter.

The 1989 grand final was true football.

I was reading your post re Brisbane and I was like........hey what about the 1989 football (and then I read further).

The WAFL and SANFL were delivering similar great footy in the 80sand 90s as well. That's around 30 great sides.

We now have 18 great sides (arguably 13) and the WAFL and SANFL is dead. A definite case of less is less!

The 90s.. the decade that delivered! nothing will beat it. best years of my childhood/teen years. that 1993 season was magic at Footy park to see Modra live every home game.. then the Blight era at the crows in 97/98 was unreal. the brand of footy was great, the players were larger than life!
Less tossers in the media too!

2000s.
Was before the infinite rule changes, and a time where you had teams developing their own gameplans rather than playing follow the leader.
It was interesting footy, not the aerial pingpong of prior eras, and not the hybrid greko-Roman wrestling we see today

Richmond were a basket case and we'd get flogged almost every week and I still look at the early 90s as a fantastic spectacle and the peak of what I would call the 'pure football' era before the game was overrun with rule changes, changes to umpiring interpretations, clever coaching ploys like flooding and team defence etc.

Such a pity what we watch today is basically a completely different sport and while not without its own charms I think fundamentally the loss of the individual contests is what I really mourn. These days its a pack of players who roll the ball forward until they can manufacture a chip kick to a non-contested target and then possess the ball. The ideas of positions are largely arbitrary and even the team sheets illustrate what a farce this is on a weekly basis.

Things change and there's no going back unfortunately, but I really wish that the media mob would stop telling me 'football has never been better' because it's a massive lie.

Loved the 80's not just because we dominated.

The train trip home from VFL Park.

GREAT DAYS
Id love to know the name of that train

What about the car park at Waverly - talk about buyer beware - park at your own risk - your car could get bogged in that horrendous car park at the drop of a handkerchief - and im talking your back wheels going down 3-4 inches

I couldn't agree more

I loved the idea of AFL but the reality is the SANFL, WAFL and VFL were better for football
My first game of footy i watched (that i have memory of) was the 1990 SANFL GF, and it was huge! 47k at footy park, i was 7.. didnt barrack for anyone back then, Dad is a sturt fan so he didnt care for port but my grandfather was a port fan and he passed away 2 weeks after the 1990 GF.. so i remember watching it with him.. and that day i became a Scott Hodges fan. 3 months later the Crows were in full swing and i had the number 17 on my back. wasnt enough to make me a port fan.. Dad brainwashed me (thank god) from that year so i was a crows die hard and a sturt fan from 7/8 yrs old. nothing comes close to footy in the 90s.. even the SANFL was elite between the years of 91-98ish. I will always love footy and barrack and love the crows hoping to see another flag one day but its not the same.. i enjoy less.. sometimes feels like a chore and the crows/port rivalry is extreme now where for me its not fun.. winning is everything and losing isn't an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first game of footy i watched (that i have memory of) was the 1990 SANFL GF, and it was huge! 47k at footy park, i was 7.. didnt barrack for anyone back then, Dad is a sturt fan so he didnt care for port but my grandfather was a port fan and he passed away 2 weeks after the 1990 GF.. so i remember watching it with him.. and that day i became a Scott Hodges fan. 3 months later the Crows were in full swing and i had the number 17 on my back. wasnt enough to make me a port fan.. Dad brainwashed me (thank god) from that year so i was a crows die hard and a sturt fan from 7/8 yrs old. nothing comes close to footy in the 90s.. even the SANFL was elite between the years of 91-98ish. I will always love footy and barrack and love the crows hoping to see another flag one day but its not the same.. i enjoy less.. sometimes feels like a chore and the crows/port rivalry is extreme now where for me its not fun.. winning is everything and losing isn't an option.
No competition that had mid 90s Sturt playing in it can be called elite.

1990s.

Maybe it's because I was a kid and have rose coloured glasses but I loved it and love watching old matches from the 90s.

Looking back now it had a semi professional feel and I loved the big power players like Plugga, Carey, salmon, Ablett to name a few.

Even though Richmond have won Premierships recently it still doesn't top the 90s on the whole for me.

Mid 80s, peak State of Origin and arrival of Ablett Snr and Diesel Williams. Lockett starting to take off and Dunstall just beginning

Late 80s, dominant Hawks with teams running in waves. Arrival of WCE and the Bears. Lying on the couch Sunday arvo after a big night, taking Diesels stats up in Sydney.

Early to mid 90s, arrival of the Crows, dominant Eagles. Cats always thereabouts. Baby Bombers. The beginning of the rise of Carey and North.

I was a kid in the 70s, it was fun and suburban, it was real footy. Then came the great 80s which probably saw a peak and the 90s were sensational. Australian Rules Football was magnificent. I'm not sure what game they're playing these days.
This correlates with my preferred eras.

Fell in love with the game in the mid to late 70s: the high-flyers; the heroes and villains; players going head to head in their respective positions; the helter-skelter play; torpies. Absolute travesty so little video footage from this period has survived.

While I adored the 70s and into the early 80s for the above reasons, I still think the spectacle of the game peaked in the early 90s; 1993 in particular. Before pressure and stoppages and crowded play took over. Glorious free-flowing football. And Mods, Gaz, Plugger, etc...

For me as a kid growing up- footy was magic in that period in the mid to late 90’s and early 00’s.

I don’t know if it’s me- but footy just doesn’t have that same magic at the highest level. I still watch and enjoy, but I loved footy then, I just like it now.

The game is considerably more skilled now, but every year it has become more and more clinical. And for mine with that the character of the game goes with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back