your favourite years or era of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well for mine always think was late 1980s early 90s and right through the 1990s was when it was at its best.

Loved it around circa 1987-1994 say. Ill even say right till 2002.

Was at its best then was the time of the birth of west coast eagles and brisbane bears.

VFL into AFL and was a real pioneering time for the game.

Was real footy and like no rule changes as well.

Was when the game was watchable and the umpireing they had an idea on the game.

Kind of a healthy state of the game too and like clubs stood on their feet more.

No politics either.

Was the time say that Hawthorn was at their peak of their powers, Carlton was a powerhouse, the emergence of west coast,essendon and geelong. Even Melbourne made a GF.

And of course the famous 1990 Collingwood premeirship in an amoungst it all.

Only real time the big 3 were going real good Blues bombers and Pies.

I think in 1990 we had enough teams in it too and did not over expand the comp either it was a nice balance of interstate teams in there a good mix.

The game was shown properly and no fuss no bias either.

Free to air tv before foxtel days.

Much cheaper to back then.

So when do we think footy was at its best.

It certainly isn’t now.
The politics, well there’s always been politics but it’s going to a new level. No booing, no tackling, no spoiling. Everyone could get hurt physically or emotionally.
Think of the children.

I’ll still be supporting my club but the holier than thou attitude is becoming grating.

100% agree with the 87-94 era being glorious.
Throw in that crazy 1993 season as well, with 3 games separating 1st from 12th on the ladder at the end of the regular season.

The 'only' thing that sucked in the 90s was interstate teams having to play "home finals" in Melbourne
It was a golden era especially for full forwards, with names like Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Modra, Sumich and then Carey.

I think 1991 was when it really went up a notch, with Adelaide coming in and the Eagles emerging as a powerful side, the next 4-5 years were very competitive and spectacular.

1990-95ish was probably most enjoyable

Still pretty enjoyable until about 2004. After that the flood/zoning crap well and truly took over

Loved all of the 1990s.

90s was just right back then and the decade of real in every way as well.

I did though like the early 00s like 2000-2003 as well and when the early days of Mick Malthouse at Collingwood.

But its the 90s for me.

The 70s on the Gold Coast was pretty special for me.
coastfash3.jpg

f4ddf6c3b1ec0cb3d6bf7c8c4f0850ae.jpg
The Sun's golden era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They think up there that the gold coast was in its prime in the 70s,80s and 90s.

Was at its best back then now its all of a fake dump hole these days.

Footy was never more interesting than during the 1980's.
Spectator interest was at an all time high and the game had not been sanitised.

The AFL went through the doldrums over the next 15 to 20 years. Not bad. Not great.
A little bit boring with interstate franchises being gifted 10 premierships in 15 years.

But the game definitely had a resurgence from 2008 to 2015.
The 3 year window from 2013 to 2015 in particular was the peak period of football.

Since then, it's all been downhill. Not particularly interesting.

Last edited:
Loved the 80's not just because we dominated.
The high scores.
The big bags.
The Hot chick in your cheersquad in her tight stone wash jeans.
Bucket of chips and a coke for $5.50.
The train trip home from VFL Park.
Sevens big league
The Winners
League teams.
GREAT DAYS.

from about the time when giving someone a clip around the ear and making him earn a mark finished through to the ultra high intensity running resulting in too many people around the ball.

That's probably 92 through to 2009 at a guess

I was a kid in the 70s, it was fun and suburban, it was real footy. Then came the great 80s which probably saw a peak and the 90s were sensational. Australian Rules Football was magnificent. I'm not sure what game they're playing these days.

I couldn't agree more

I loved the idea of AFL but the reality is the SANFL, WAFL and VFL were better for football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back