Your gaming lifespan

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh the last ninja , played them to death , have you seen how bad they look now ,back then they were the ants pants.

Given the capabilities of the C64 at the time, they were pretty good in comparison to the quality of other C64 games.

The sid-chip capabilities and game music was awesome and ahead of its time

Them's the days. I still have a working copy of the LN1 on tape :eek:

The first system I remember owning was a Sega Master System. Got that when I was five but apparently I was playing some other system before that. Have no idea what it was though.

So based on that I've been playing games for 23 years.

I'm almost 22 and I've been gaming since I was a little kid. Some of my fondest memories are of FFVII and Pokemon red. At the moment I'm doing the whole mass effect thing. Gaming Is one of my favourite pastimes. I'll probably still be doing it when I'm 80 haha

I'm 20, been playing games since the PS1 came out back in the late 90's, so i've been playing games for about 12-13 years. Got the Xbox for x-mas in 2001, played that a lot, then got the 360 in 2007. I've got about 60 games on the 360, mainly play COD, FIFA, Halo etc. It's got to the point now where i don't have much time to play games as i work full-time and i like to spend my money on better things and go out.

Been playing since the PS2 came out, never really enjoyed it as much as I'm enjoying gaming these days.

I'm a graphics man, graphics are pretty important for me in games, and for some reason (even before HD came out), I always felt the graphics weren't good enough for me to thoroughly enjoy the game.

Although some classics have come out on PS1, like Digimon and Tony Hawk (they're so s**t now).

What pisses me off are people who game a lot, but don't bother buying a HDMI cable for their console. It's like a hardcore gamer spending most of their time on a WII...

It's refreshing to hear someone admit that graphics are important to them. We all know that gameplay and sound are very important, but graphics get a bad rap because it's not "cool" to admit they're important. It's like you're not a true gamer if you put emphasis on graphics too.

For me, graphics have always played an important part of gaming. Back when Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time blew me away, it was the crisp, lush and detailed worlds that were candy for the eyes that added so much to the gaming experience. If those games had've only been par for the course with PS1 gaming graphics at the time, there's no way they'd have done as well as they did.

I can remember visiting my cousins and playing pong on this TV gaming system that had three inbuilt games. Then the Atari 2600 came along and you had the option to buy different games (what possibilities that opened up!) such as Berserk, Pitfall, Barnstorming and River Raid. Then the Commodore 64, with endless hours on sims like Gunship, Project: Stealth Fighter, Silent Service, Red Storm Rising, fighters like International Karate+, Last Ninja (1 & 2, didn't care for 3 that much), Ikari Warriors and Barbarian (which you could win simply by kicking each and every opponent to death). Also remember playing Elite on the BBCs at school. A lot to be said for computer game nostalgia.

I'm 32. I grew up in Hong Kong and my friends and I mostly played PC games early on. We had Alley Cat, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and that sort of stuff, moving on to Lode Runner and Montezuma's Revenge which we played a shitload of. From there i went Master System -> Mega Drive, whilst my friends went NES -> Super Famicom and we spent our days mostly playing the Kontras to death.

On the PC side i mostly stuck with racing games like Indianapolis 500 and the Microprose F1 games. I remember how crazy excited i was when Papyrus' Indycar first came out and it actually had sponsors on the side of cars instead of just plain, flat colors....oh my god we were living in the future!

In my 20s i had my Quake 3 phase, my Counter-Strike phase, my Race-sim phase, a short-lived MMO phase of about 6 months and now it's just bits and pieces of everything whenever i get the time. I don't think I'm ever going to be 'over' gaming but i find it much harder to justify losing whole chunks of my week to them now.

I thought it would be interesting if people shared their history of video games! So here is mine. If I gave every detail this could be longer than KRudds apology speech. I don't expect many to go past the second paragraph, but many thanks if you do!

For my 5th Birthday, my parents give me a gameboy colour with Pokemon Blue. Little did they know the damage they would do to me long term :p. My memory isn't too good, but all I remember was playing it whenever I could. Picnic? I'm on my gameboy. Visiting people I don't want to visit? Gameboy got me through. This was pretty much all I played besides some other gimmick games. I had a SEGA Megadrive which my parents had, but probably used twice in a decade, which has some sonic pinball game and a monster eater game where I had no clue what was going on. I

In 2001, I was given a Gamecube (I missed the N64 generation :(), where I played Sonic Adventure 2. Loved this game to bits and still is my favourite sonic game of all time. Spent hundreds of hours trying to get perfect ranks for each mission.

Eventually, I became the Nintendo nerd. Bought almost every Mario game I could. Whenever I went to a friends house we would always play stuff like AFL 200x, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed, etc (PS2). Here I am with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers and Mario Party. This lasted until 2009, however I slowed down in 2007, even when I got a Wii with all the new Mario games.

In 2007/08, I started to play PC games. A friend talked me into runescape but I thought it was trash, couldn't get over the graphics and slow gameplay. My cousin skyped me and asked me to play an MMORPG game called Maplestory. I tried it, enjoyed it, and I was sadly addicted. Played with friends, both real and not real til the early hours of the morning. I didn't even enjoy it, it was mindless grinding to reach max level. Played this until the end of year 10, on Christmas where I decided to let this s**t go. Gave my account away to make sure I didn't return. I was so addicted I used to play before tennis which was at 8:30 in the morning. It affected my social skills and was overall totally bad for me. I regret every second and want my early high school years back :(.

During this time I also played a fair bit of DS, mostly Pokemon Diamond and a game called Advance Wars, a strategy game utilizing artillery and objective capturing. This has got to my in my top 3 favourite games of all time. It was such a challenge playing a strategy game, and I was happy to lose because I could play all over again with a new plan. I remember my trip to the states where I was sick to death of my mum dragging me sight seeing and attending boring "friends of friends of family" dinner parties which drove me nuts. The final few days of the trip I stopped by at gamestop, bought the new Advance Wars and played the s**t out of it. For about 20 of 72 hours.

In 2010, all of my friends had PS3s. So I left Nintendo behind (but not forgotten!) and turned into one of those Fifa/Cod people. I enjoyed, because it was casual since I sucked at both for a long time. I reached 4th prestige over 6 months in Cod MW3, which I enjoyed. I never got to experience the ragers and sex obsessed 12 year olds, and I found the funny side of it. Don't get me wrong, I raged plenty in Cod! And I broke a controller in Fifa from being 4-0 up, since then I've only throw tissue boxes across the room and whacked pillows on furniture >.>.

Nowadays, I play a Moba called League of Legends, the most played online game in the world, and it is a load of fun! I follow the Esports scene where the best players in the world compete with actual commentary. I love it, and the company (Riot Games) is brilliant with the community. More recently, I'm playing Fire Emblem Awakening on DS which is an awesome RPG, and a much more dynamic version of Advance Wars.

ok done.

My first console was the NES when I was 7 or 8. The game I mostly played was probably Super Mario Bros 3 (still one of the best games ever). Ducktales, TMNT, Double Dragon 2 just to name a few. Mum didn't get the SNES for me but I still enjoyed and loved my NES. To this day there is still a certain charm and addiction that those old 2d platformers have. I eventually gave my NES to my friend which I regret.

My next console was the 64, it came with Mario 64 and Star wars: Shadows of the Empire. I was still pretty good at Mario 64, I was able to defeat the final Bowser Boss while other friends couldn't even beat the first Bowser! That felt good. And then there was Goldeneye, we all know how good that was.

In 2002 I got a Gamecube with some Simpsons game. I never really got into the Gamecube so after a little while I replaced it with the Xbox. I spent most hours with games like NBA live, the Star Wars Battlefront series and AFL Premiership Edition which I still play today. Remember getting my xbox modded and going to my "supplier" and getting games dirt cheap. He's gone to ground now after the cops got wise.

Got my first 360 in 2005 and the game I have played the most would be GTA IV. Despite the puported 54% failure rate, mine lasted a while, I didn't get the red ring of death untill 2012 so when I did I bought a 360 slim. Once again got many games from my supplier.

Given I'll probably be playing nothing but GTA V on my 360 slim for years, I'm not sure when or if I'm going to buy the next gen consoles, as so far the unveilings have been unimpressive, I'm almost certain I'm not going to buy an Xbox Onem and we don't know the full story on PS4 yet, so I may just get a PC instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started gaming with Thexder and Alley Cat on an 8086 orange monochrome at 4-5 back in 1990. Been doing it ever since but I've fallen off a lot recently.

Strong memories of playing TMNT on NES at my babysitter's house in primary school. Her son was a bit older than me. He then got a SNES and I recall being pissed off at not being able to destroy the car in SF2. I never had a console before PS1 but I've played a few SNES classics through emulation.

Big Playstation fanboy, had a PS1, PS2, PS3. Hardly sold or traded a game...many hours playing THPS2 on PS1. I remember getting FF7 for Christmas one year and my cousin knocked out the power cord during a marathon session. I hadn't saved in like 6 hours. Not happy. And I learned my lesson, have dozens of save files for all RPGs now. :p

I mostly play on PC now. Steam has multiplied my collection without multiplying my games played at all. I have quite a lot of unplayed games I bought on sale/a whim as well....one day I'll get around to it. Probably not my PS2 games though...still have an unopened copy of Snake Eater. LOL.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

First Console I ever had was a Sega Megadrive. Sonic the Hedgehog would have to be one of the very first games I ever played. Had games such as the Sonic series, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Bubsy, Tiny Toons to name a few. Also remember playing Duck Hunt on the NES at a friends house. Although at the time I didn't own a Super Nintendo (Would actually end up buying one only a couple of years ago), I still managed to play most of the other games at other people's houses (Super Mario Bros, Turtles In Time, Donkey Kong Country Etc.). Some of the earliest PC games I played was The Lost Vikings (They really need to re-release that game), Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Quake.

The Next Console I got was a Playstation. Played games such as Spyro, Crash, Ape Escape and Final Fantasy to name a few. Played Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Snap, Super Mario Kart 64 and other N64 games on a friend's N64. This was around the time I started playing the Pokemon Games on the Gameboy (Though have not played any Pokemon game past the GBA era).

Then the next Console I got was a Playstation 2. In Hindsight, I missed out on a lot of the better PS2 games. Still played some good games such as Tekken Tag Tournament and Mortal Kombat Deception. My cousin had the Original Xbox so it was the first time I came across Halo 2 and I was impressed.

While some of my friends were switching from the Playstation 2 to Xbox 360, I decided to buy a Playstation 3 (would buy the other consoles later). I decided to make up for lack of quality games on the PS2 and bought games such as LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Killzone 2, Mortal Kombat(2011), Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect 2, The Orange Box and many more. Played Halo 3 at friend's houses and was almost envious of them. A couple of years later I bought a Wii, not much else to say about it other than I got the typical mario games for it as well as getting some classic games from the 8-bit and 16-bit era of gaming from the Virtual Store. Around this time I also discovered Steam, which has been great in getting classic games and new games that I've missed or have played but never owned.

Around a year or so later, I actually bought the Super Nintendo for the first time. Also bought that Sega Megadrive emulator console they released at K-Mart so I could play my old Sega Megadrive Consoles.

Last Year, I actually got an Xbox 360. Only got the Halo Games and Assassin's Creed II on it. Don't know if I'll buy any of the Next-Gen consoles, might just stick with PC. I'd love to be able to play Halo 5 & 6 but to buy that Xbox One (Which looks rather average atm) just for Halo is a bit pointless.

The furthest back I can remember is Pokemon Blue on the Game Boy Color and Super Mario 64, but I did spent a fair bit of my childhood on the NES/SNES/Sega classics. After that we got a PlayStation and a PlayStation 2 in that order (Missed the GameCube at the time) and loved the exclusives like Ratchet and Clank along with games like Grand Theft Auto and the AFL Premiership series. At some point between the PS1 and PS2 I got a Game Boy Advance SP and sunk a heap of hours into Pokemon Sapphire, FireRed, Emerald and a few other games.
Then I got a Nintendo DS lite and the family got a Wii. The usual suspects were present, Pokemon Diamond, SoulSilver, White, and Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Smash Bros Brawl, etc.
After that I bought a laptop which lasted me until last year and spent many an hour running Borderlands, Fallout 3/New Vegas and League of Legends. In September last year I bought the parts to and put together the rig I'm typing this on, which hasn't got as much playtime but I'll be replaying a ton of games and getting BioShock Infinite soon.
I was a bit late to this generation, I only bought a PS3 last year, and I've spent a fair bit of time on Red Dead Redemption, the Resistance and Uncharted series, AC Revelations and AFL Live.
In February I bought a 3DS and finished Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem Awakening, all of which are fantastic. At the moment I'm playing a fair bit of Pokemon White and Black 2.
In the future I'm gonna try and fill out some of the games I've missed from this gen and past ones on Virtual Console/PSN store, and then just get new releases as they come out and move on to my next goal: footy jumper collecting.
The PS4/X1 don't interest me at all. My gaming PC, Razer mouse and Xbox 360 controller, along with the 3DS and PS3 will do me for some time yet. The constant cycle of console releases is making me tired anyway, sick of feeling the need to invest $300-500 for some graphical tweaks when my PC already outstrips them all.
Loved reading about everyone else's stories.

My first memories of gaming were text adventure and RPG games on minicomputers in the late 70s/early 80s. I then moved on to PC gaming and play a bit on PC and a bit on PS3 these days.

Game styles I enjoy are open world action games, RPGs and strategy.

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore gamer but when a game gets its hooks in I become obsessed. I can see a PS4 in my future, probably early next year (I don't need to be a first day adopter).

25 years old started in the early 90s with the NES and then the Gameboy and gaming has been rapidly diminishing in my life to the point where it's one hour a week or maybe even one hour a fortnight. Have lost the ability to be absorbed in a game and lose hours upon hours. I still have fun when I game but I'm very cognisant of the time and after an hour, I'm looking for a break.

Over the journey I've owned:

NES (Dad bought it for some weird reason)
Gameboy
N64
PS2 and Xbox
PS3 and 360
3DS

The N64 era was just amazing. There was just a collision of factors that made that generation special. The beginning of 3D, being 12-15 years old, gaming becoming cheaper but not to the point where I could have any game I want, and the amazing community that made me feel like I truly belonged.

At that age I was able to save pocket money and with the help of the parents, I could usually nab one to two games a year. That meant poring over every aspect of the game, playing it into the ground and just as I was tiring of it, a new game would appear on the horizon and the hype would build and the cycle would begin again. Owning an N64 at that age meant either buying NMS or (my preference) N64 Gamer. Damn that magazine made me feel like an exclusive part of a special Nintendo community. The conversational (and immature) style was brilliant for a teenager and helped me work out which game I could beg my parents to get me. I ended up with ten games and each were treasured.

Now, I can have any game I want and not enough time to play them. I've played less than ten games this generation (RDR, AC: II, Limbo, Halo: Reach, 2k11 and 2k12). It's pretty much the reason why I try my hardest not to buy games as they release - the last game I bought on release was LA Noire and that experience just soured me - and why I'm trying not to get caught up in the next-gen. There's a massive back catalogue of games I could go through before even scratching the surface. I'll never get to them though.

First game I remember playing was some castle themed text-adventure with rudimentary graphics game on the ol' monochrome XT. Also Alley Cat and Thexder. Must've been about 4 or 5. Been gaming ever since, PC + every iteration of Playstation, don't see myself changing any time soon though I've gone off the Japanese RPGs which I used to play religiously.

Used to love Alley Cat as a kid, can still remember the music on the old internal PC Speaker. Hated that damn broom!

Have played games for as long as I can remember so certainly from the early single digits. Was always big on the Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario games on SNES. I've never really been a 'play all the games' person, more finding a five or 10 games that I love and putting days/weeks/months into them. I couldn't tell you how much time I've put into F1 World Grand Prix on N64 or any of the Pokemon first/second gen games. Even now, playing both on emulators is a good pass time.

I only currently own two PS3 games, those being Black Ops 2 and FIFA 13. Will definitely buy the a PS4 and spend a lot of time on FIFA again but aside from that, with work, a mortgage and other commitments, there's a few other things that take priority unfortunately.

I own:
  • Sega GameGear (no longer works)
  • Super Nintendo (no longer have games)
  • Nintendo 64
  • XBOX
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo DS
  • PS3 (came with TV purchase. I have GTA IV but just don't use the PS3 for anything except DVD/Blu-Ray)
  • PCs ranging from Amstrad with 5.25" drive to 486 to whatever computers are these days (with the exception of Doom I/II, Wolfenstein, Commander Keen and Lemmings 3D I've rarely played games on PCs. I guess I grew up in a nerd-free house where computers were seen as just a tool for word processing etc. and the specs for the coolest games always seemed to be just better than what my computer was, so I stuck with the consoles)
I'm certainly not a gamer, but I've had pockets of time along the way where video games were my life. Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Star Wars Battlefront I/II, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros Wii... etc. these games have eaten up hours and hours of my life. I didn't play any video games at all for 6-12 months or more (time spent overseas, doing grown up s**t etc.) then one day decided to play a bit of Mario Kart Wii to pass the time. Two weeks later, someone had to peel me off the couch.:D

I definitely identify with the 64 more than any other console. It wasn't my first, won't be my last and others since are far more advanced but it was just awesome. WiFi and headsets and playing strangers on the other side of the globe? Eff that. Multiplayer is 4 kids cramming around a 51cm CRT TV to play 4 player Goldeneye.:thumbsu:

first console dad bought when i was four or five:

master-system2.jpg

the only other game he got aside from the in-built alex kidd in miracle world was:

next two games were:

and

played the hell out of that sonic game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back