Zac Merrett tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Superstar is someone who is comfortably a top 10 player in the comp. Merrett is nowhere near that, somewhere in the top 30-50 range
Get your hand off it - he's consistently been one of the best mids in the league for years, he's just criminally underrated and played in a dogshit team. You're showing your bias.

Superstar is someone who is comfortably a top 10 player in the comp. Merrett is nowhere near that, somewhere in the top 30-50 range
There are more than 10 players referred to superstars in the comp

Im happy for the line to be drawn at 10 though. Its an overused term for a lot of players

There are more than 10 players referred to superstars in the comp

Im happy for the line to be drawn at 10 though. Its an overused term for a lot of players

Yeah it does get thrown around a lot

Think Charlie Curnow is now one, but Harry McKay (for instance) is certainly not.

Was always screwed when charged there was nothing they could appeal on. I get why you did (important game and essential player), but it was always high Contact and medium impact. Low has to be a LOT lower force and you have to be very unlucky to be charged with low
“The potential for injury made it medium impact.” That’s not how impact works. This is what frustrates me.

“The potential for injury made it medium impact.” That’s not how impact works. This is what frustrates me.

They have used it all year don’t know what so hard about it. We as fans have to get used to it. You can’t make head contact whether it be a tackle or a bump.

Where were all these Essendon fans in the first 4 rounds?
Would have loved your input on what constitutes a dangerous tackle back then.

They have used it all year don’t know what so hard about it. We as fans have to get used to it. You can’t make head contact whether it be a tackle or a bump.
But you can with a knee in a marking contest, or a fist in a spoiling contest, or your forearm in an Impeding the kick action, etc etc. without a suspension.

They are insane. As in unable to make sense of reality.

Even saying "The potential for injury made it more serious and worthy of suspension" is less borked than deciding that intensity of impact - something that is a measurable figure in the real world - isn't dependent on the impact itself but on the whims of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a cherry picking expedition to appease people that have nothing to do with our game because the word 'concussion' has become a main steam buzzword in world sport in recent years.

If the AFL were serious about head knocks as they pretend to be......they'd outlaw aerial marking in our game too.

I've seen players be concussed and therefore miss next weeks game because another play jumped on their shoulders and cop a knee to back/side of the head. Think about it....how many times has a player like Jeremy Howe jumped onto another player and by default stick his knee into the back/side of the head of another player?

The back of the head is far more sensitive than any other part due to that part of the head not being used to contact. But because the aerial marking in our game is such a celebrated part....the AFL will do nothing.

But you can with a knee in a marking contest, or a fist in a spoiling contest, or your forearm in an Impeding the kick action, etc etc. without a suspension.

Those are part and parcel of the game. I get it you wanted him playing but a side shouldn’t rely on one player anyway. We have to get with the times head Contact is minimal. It’s not 1980

Those are part and parcel of the game. I get it you wanted him playing but a side shouldn’t rely on one player anyway. We have to get with the times head Contact is minimal. It’s not 1980
But tackling is too

Im less concerned about Tuesday
1- a few of us have been looking for a way to get hobbs in. So there's silver lining
2- we're more about the unit than the player. Sum greater than the parts

Merrett would be up there for the brownlow. If he misses cos of this, its pretty s**t

But tackling is too

1- a few of us have been looking for a way to get hobbs in. So there's silver lining

Merrett would be up there for the brownlow. If he misses cos of this, its pretty s**t

Tackling is and always will but not slinging blokes head first. We have to be protecting of the head as much as we can feasibly do. The game May slightly change but it is what it is.

Brownlow no chance you won’t win enough and how far is Daicos/Oliver in front?

But tackling is too

They need to changed rules around brownlow eligibility unless its full blown thuggery then a player who cops a ban should still be able to win the brownlow

They need to changed rules around brownlow eligibility unless its full blown thuggery then a player who cops a ban should still be able to win the brownlow

May go down the NRL route where you lose 3 points per game missed

Tackling is and always will but not slinging blokes head first. We have to be protecting of the head as much as we can feasibly do. The game May slightly change but it is what it is.

Brownlow no chance you won’t win enough and how far is Daicos/Oliver in front?
Stranger things come brownlow night.

This wasn't a sling for me. He pulls him down. A sling is more what Green did in that the tackling player changes the direction the player falls

At the point merrett tackles, sparrow fends and leans into merrett. At that point both have the same momentum direction and fall together.

The free is because the tackle starts high, not because the ump saw a dangerous action.

And even if you cede it as a dangerous tackle, its low impact not medium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back