Weirdest injuries to oust a player

Remove this Banner Ad

dreampolice

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2003
paradise
Other Teams
williamstown
I think this was done earlier this year but....

I recall Michael Richardson from the Bears missing at least one game due to --- Shark bite!

Any other weird or wonderful our heroes have managed to injur themselves?

Yeah I was going to say David Hale as well against the Crows at Telstra Dome.

I think ruptured testicle was the exact wording they used in the paper the next day :eek: Ruptured !!!

Can't remember if he missed a game or not, but Craig Turley (at least, that's who I think it was) was listed with a torn scrotum after a game against the Bombers many years ago.

good thread - to keep the thread going what about those players who have continued to play week in week out with serious injuries.... those who pushed the pain barrier each week to go out on the paddock regardless.

Originally posted by Clackers69
Can't remember if he missed a game or not, but Craig Turley (at least, that's who I think it was) was listed with a torn scrotum after a game against the Bombers many years ago.

That was indeed Turley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think one player injured his leg resting it on the coffee table but can't remember who?
Was it one of the Hollands?

Chops Wrote:

I think one player injured his leg resting it on the coffee table but can't remember who?
Was it one of the Hollands?

That was Winston Abraham.

David Ugrinic, who was a lazy hack and thankfully never played a game for us, once badly injured his face while fishing. Sunburned feet is another good one. A bloke from my high school missed a high school tournament because of a paper cut to the eye- poor bugger had a patch on and no depth perception. No idea how he did it.

Originally posted by Clackers69

...sounds like it was a ball-tearing match...

Nigel Smart missed games after trying to be a firewalker.

Another reason why Graham Cornes is an idiot.

Originally posted by adey115
good thread - to keep the thread going what about those players who have continued to play week in week out with serious injuries.... those who pushed the pain barrier each week to go out on the paddock regardless.

Paul Kelly used to throw up 10 mins before every game in his last 2 to 3 years. Played with broken rips, busted knees, hamstrings...you name it!

Originally posted by PrideOf
Nigel Smart missed games after trying to be a firewalker.

Another reason why Graham Cornes is an idiot.
Actually, I think you find he didn't miss a game as he played just 5 days after the incident.

Originally posted by TheWhiteRhino
Paul Kelly used to throw up 10 mins before every game in his last 2 to 3 years. Played with broken rips, busted knees, hamstrings...you name it!

re. chucking up.... there was a Fitzroy player in the last few years pre merger, who used to chuck up all the time. I think he earned the nickname "Chuck" because he threw up before his first training session at an AFL club, though I could be wrong... anyone remember who it was and what the story was??

I can't remember 100% what injury he sustained but a certain John Barnes came onto the footy show with a black eye a few years ago... because he "stood on a rake" in the backyard or something along those lines...... when in fact thats not what happened at all....

the real story was... Barnes... teammate... wife.... teammate finds out..... teammate belts Barnes.... Barnes gets traded.

Edit: I'll remove the teammates name... just in case!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back