Trades / Delistings & Draftees 2014 (latest: Clarke & Mooney going home, Yagmoor delisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Witts has more upside he is still learning the game better size as well

Well Let’s Trade Grundy then to a SA Side at end of the Year then and Maybe Kennedy will go with him too;)

I wouldn't trade either, would play both in 2015 and relegate White to a depth option. Pick up Jon Griffin or Jonathan Giles for a second/third rounder or a state leaguer as ruck depth..

Agree that Trading either would just be Stupid. Both have Big Futures and I don’t think Sam Reid would help our Biggest Problem’s which are lack of Tall Mids and Good User’s of the Ball.

Reid be a nice get be don’t take a player where we have next to no depth in.

We would have more Chance at Griffin then Giles - I think

Just because I rate Witts higher does not mean we should trade one now

Did you get the;) Meant I was being Sarcastic.

As I have said in this thread. I think it be silly to trade either one

A question for Snoop Dog:
What do you think of Harrison Wigg from SA?
IMO he's exactly the type we should be looking to pick up this year. Beautiful left foot, good decision making and is quicker than average although not blisteringly fast. Won SA's MVP at the carnival and may be available in the second round due to the large amount of talls available. The only knock on him I can think of is that he's under 6 foot (IIRC) tall and our list is already a mosquito squad.

I would be keen to get a ruckman actually a stronger and older body helping out Grundy. It will allow us to get rid of Witts, Witts makes Fraser look like Dean Cox at his prime.

Basically what we need is a ruckman, running defenders that can use the ball well and a Luke Ball replacement, he doesn't have to be a big name player just a mid 20's midfielder who can help out Adams and Beams. I don't think Josh Thomas is the man for that and I would put Adams ahead of him especially from the improvement I have seen from Taylor in the past few weeks. He looks better and better and his disposal will improve hopefully but even if he doesn't, it's not like Swan or Ball were ever great users of the ball. His job is to tackle, get clearances and the hard ball gets for our running mids.

I wish Malceski was a few years younger, would have fit that whole in the back line along with Shazza perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot see us being a huge player in this years draft unlike the last few years. We are not in contention in the near future, so assume we will take Moore and whatever our falls our way through the draft. We have let go a heap of experienced players over the past 2-3 years and will lose Maxwell, Lynch, Clarke and possible Ball so again a significant amount of experience going from the list. Those calling for Young / White to be delisted are kidding themselves as both will be retained on the list.

I see this year as a year of consolidation as there is loads of talent on our list and with addition of the newbies from this year. The only player I would be interested in would be Frawley as a free agent.

I am thinking O’Rourke could be a better get then Frawley
We really need more Tall Mids. We just have Pendles who is 185cm +

O’Rourke is 188cm and I think he be the Bigger get then Frawley as we have Marsh and Moore coming in

I like the idea but cannot see who we would be willing to trade out to land a number 2 draft pick?

I would be keen to get a ruckman actually a stronger and older body helping out Grundy. It will allow us to get rid of Witts, Witts makes Fraser look like Dean Cox at his prime.

Basically what we need is a ruckman, running defenders that can use the ball well and a Luke Ball replacement, he doesn't have to be a big name player just a mid 20's midfielder who can help out Adams and Beams. I don't think Josh Thomas is the man for that and I would put Adams ahead of him especially from the improvement I have seen from Taylor in the past few weeks. He looks better and better and his disposal will improve hopefully but even if he doesn't, it's not like Swan or Ball were ever great users of the ball. His job is to tackle, get clearances and the hard ball gets for our running mids.

I wish Malceski was a few years younger, would have fit that whole in the back line along with Shazza perfectly.
Because Cox was so much better at the same age! http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...id1=100&tid2=5&pid2=3701&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

In reference to players worth and age, Leon Davis if you remember had an AA year off the backline. His contract wasn't extended and no-one picked him up which personally I was very happy about cause he was an all time favourite of mine and I didn't want him to play for anyone else. Anyway, what this means is that we won't get anything or very very little for older guys such as Lumumba, Goldsack, Macaffer, Toovey, etc.

Toovey would be undervalued as he is returning from a serious knee injury and that is food for thought. He might get back to 2012 form next year and that could be devastating if we can turn things around fast an challenge over the next few years.

I'd just like to add to this thread that we've been very shrewd in how we have traded out guys with currency. Shaw, Wellingham, Thomas, Dawes would only add to the dilemma of trading out guys that might have currency, and out min-rebuild has been fast tracked, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Grundy and Adams have far more upside in the future.

Edit: and getting Elliott as a steak knives and NSW scholarshipping (if that's a word) Witts in a weak draft was a master stroke. Glancing at the draft both would probably sneak into the top ten.

Last edited:
OK this brings me to a pertinent point. 2009 and 2010 drafts are looking more and more like flops.

Thomas, Sinclair, Fasolo and Seedsman is all we have and all four are struggling or injured, big time.

As for recent drafts we have done outstandingly well.

from 2011 I have two guys Witts and Elliott inside the top 15 players from that draft and then Adams and Williams from anywhere from 16-30.

2011 basically equals four picks inside 30 in Hindsight.

2012 we did really well. Not including Martin, Dwyer or Oxley but including Frost early days I know

But I'd have four guys in the top 20.

As for 2013 we had picks 6 and 10 who we haven't even seen and Langdon would easily go top 20.

So to break it down 2011 equals four guys inside the top 30 two perhaps in the top ten.

2012 four players inside the top 20 and maybe over there careers some or all in a pipe dream could go top ten.

2013, three guys inside the top 20. I reckon Langdon would go top 20 in hindsight.

So as far as list management we've made the hard decisions and we should be tracking well. If we can nail the 2014 draft and Darcy Moor is all that he's cracked up to be then we are seriously going places.

Marsh easily worth a senior list spot, he's been emergency about 3 times this year and is developing nicely.

Witts and Grundy will be a great duo, Witts has a better forwardline game than 85% of the Ruckman in the league and it's still developing, hopefully once contested marking is developed more he will be a Ruckman similar to a David Hale/David Hille 1 goal a game average type.

OK this brings me to a pertinent point. 2009 and 2010 drafts are looking more and more like flops.

Thomas, Sinclair, Fasolo and Seedsman is all we have and all four are struggling or injured, big time.

As for recent drafts we have done outstandingly well.

from 2011 I have two guys Witts and Elliott inside the top 15 players from that draft and then Adams and Williams from anywhere from 16-30.

2011 basically equals four picks inside 30 in Hindsight.

2012 we did really well. Not including Martin, Dwyer or Oxley but including Frost early days I know

But I'd have four guys in the top 20.

As for 2013 we had picks 6 and 10 who we haven't even seen and Langdon would easily go top 20.

So to break it down 2011 equals four guys inside the top 30 two perhaps in the top ten.

2012 four players inside the top 20 and maybe over there careers some or all in a pipe dream could go top ten.

2013, three guys inside the top 20. I reckon Langdon would go top 20 in hindsight.

So as far as list management we've made the hard decisions and we should be tracking well. If we can nail the 2014 draft and Darcy Moor is all that he's cracked up to be then we are seriously going places.

Is your point that higher draft picks are better than lower ones...?

Is your point that higher draft picks are better than lower ones...?

hahaha no, absolutely not.

My point is that the players that we have gotten from 2011 and 2012 have either sustained there draft position or would have gone a lot higher in the draft after a few years in the system.

We haven't recruited a Danny Roach with a high pick and out lower picks show some promise.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back