Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apparently the 'Mad Monk' hasn't given up on his dream of a dole-free Australian youth.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...ns-the-under-30s/story-e6frgczf-1225856154348

As somebody who has never been on the dole, I'm genuinely curious about just how hard it is to get and stay on the dole.

If somebody knew what they were doing and were willing to put a bit of effort into filling in forms (and maybe even attending some job interviews in thongs and trackie-dacks - lest the prospective employers actually offer you a job), would they actually be able to stay on the dole indefinitely? Or is there a limit at which you are cut off regardless?

For the amount of money you get ($245/week + up to $60/week Rent Assistance) I don't think I would bother personally, but I am curious to hear of any experiences people have had. Is it actually that easy to get and keep the dole?

EDIT: I didn't create this thread; I bumped an old one on the exact same topic. Call me old-fashioned. A mod has since split the thread for some reason.

For the amount of money you get ($245/week + up to $60/week Rent Assistance) I don't think I would bother personally, but I am curious to hear of any experiences people have had. Is it actually that easy to get and keep the dole?

its not as easy as it used to be, because you can't do the old apply for jobs your unqualified for etc, they will set you up with jobs. A drop kick mate of mine ended up getting a job because it was easier than jumping through all the hoops. You can stay on indefinitely but they will try to push you onto a disability pension eventually (unsuitable for work etc).

tbh i think they should just force these guys/girls into TAFE to learn a trade.

Apparently the 'Mad Monk' hasn't given up on his dream of a dole-free Australian youth.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...ns-the-under-30s/story-e6frgczf-1225856154348

As somebody who has never been on the dole, I'm genuinely curious about just how hard it is to get and stay on the dole.

If somebody knew what they were doing and were willing to put a bit of effort into filling in forms (and maybe even attending some job interviews in thongs and trackie-dacks - lest the prospective employers actually offer you a job), would they actually be able to stay on the dole indefinitely? Or is there a limit at which you are cut off regardless?

Is it a stupid attempt to deflect form how deep pollies' snouts are in the trough ? I not even serial dobber bronwyn bishop burned more than the spendathon peter slipper.

Not a good luck from Abbott, its like a new ceo who getts no runs on the board spending his meeting time arguing about his over the top expenses. Do the first, and the latter is less important

That 100 days milestone is screaming up to us. Looks like my tip that he will be like useless ted in victoria is coming true after all

Great idea. Although will never be passed through

What old Tony doesn't realise is that skilled workers such as myself under 30 can still be on the dole. I have a uni degree and would have been on the dole if I didn't have over 6k in liquid assets. Not everyone is a bum Tony, stop trying to paint everyone as that you arrogant pig.

I am an ardent critic of Social Services/ Centrelink and the like. It actually infuriates me!

No-one minds short term unemployment. Get laid off due to cut backs in your company and what not and it may take you 3 months to find full time employment again so you need some government assistance in the interim. It's never happened to me and I have been gainfully employed ever since I left University, but still it happens. I don't think these people are the problem for Australia. Aus-study or whatever its called these days is also not something that annoys me. We have to support kids when they're trying to better themselves.

The problem are the generational unemployed. People whose grandparents and parents spent their entire lives unemployed and reliant on social service payments and who are breeding a culture of reliance or dependence on government handouts. It is everywhere and if you don't know about it you must be blind.

I would love to know the same as the OP. Do they ever cut welfare payments to people who they know are not actively looking for employment? If they don't then they should- force them to find work! Putting these types on disability pensions only costs the tax payer more. Again this is not to say that legitimately disabled people are not entitled to be supported. There is a definite element in Australia who claim they are disabled and we all know they're not. I spent my University years working for one of the big four banks and my particular bank had a large amount of centrelink customers. I spent my working days dealing with these 'generational unemployed' and I could tell you some good stories! Not too many were too keen to find work, not too many were actively trying to better themselves and not too many had any intention of doing much different to having 6 kids, buying plasma tv's and doing or selling drugs.

Reduce the welfare system and government hand outs for the generational unemployed and you will change Australia for the better.

Reduce the welfare system and government hand outs for the generational unemployed and you will change Australia for the better.
No you won't, the cost of social welfare pales into insignificance with the cost of doing away with it. How are those who don't/can't work and don't get any form of benefit going to exist? They will turn to crime or be forced onto the streets, and then we are left to deal with costs to society of that.

No you won't, the cost of social welfare pales into insignificance with the cost of doing away with it. How are those who don't/can't work and don't get any form of benefit going to exist? They will turn to crime or be forced onto the streets, and then we are left to deal with costs to society of that.

I said reduce it Gough, not get rid of it completely.

I know if people wont work and don't receive government welfare payments surely some will turn to crime, of course that will happen. No-one wants that.

Whatever happened to the idea of not dealing in cash with these types but only giving them vouchers for supermarkets or grocery stores? I know people complain about centrelink and how hard they are to deal with but I'm saying 'make it harder'.

Huh, thats a 2010 article
Lol. I ought to have picked that up myself. I guess I'm still getting used to Abbott being PM rather than 'opposition leader'.

The link came up as one of news' most-read stories today though, so my confusion is understandable imo. Not sure what is going on there.

Reality says differently. Reduce welfare and it will force more people in to work. See US and Germany as two examples. See also the UK where cuts in welfare were supposed to lead to a massive increase in crime according to the bien pensants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Piece of cake. Abetz was asked how Tasmanians would go with applying for 40 jobs per month given the unemployment rate there. He suggested easily, one in the morning and another in the afternoon for 4 weeks. I don't think he understood the question.

So because you can apply for hundreds of jobs via internet, the bar is being raised, and the connection with reality becomes less tenuous.

One genuine attempt at a job where you have a genuine chance is worth any amount of box ticking.

Potential emplyers, agencies and govt dpt just get snowed under checking off these phantom exchanges

Piece of cake. Abetz was asked how Tasmanians would go with applying for 40 jobs per month given the unemployment rate there. He suggested easily, one in the morning and another in the afternoon for 4 weeks. I don't think he understood the question.

Remember when they brought in the citizenship test one was asked for a typical question and he said perhaps " how old is australia ?" A question with no definite answer. Out of touch

Remember when they brought in the citizenship test one was asked for a typical question and he said perhaps " how old is australia ?" A question with no definite answer. Out of touch
Majority of the Ministry should have retired years ago. Senile old bunch of fogies.

So because you can apply for hundreds of jobs via internet, the bar is being raised, and the connection with reality becomes less tenuous.

One genuine attempt at a job where you have a genuine chance is worth any amount of box ticking.

Potential emplyers, agencies and govt dpt just get snowed under checking off these phantom exchanges

The coalition, the only party that cares about looking after business and removing red tape.

This comment stood out:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-28/abetz-dole-turn/5630480

Senator Abetz says he has seen the program work under the Howard government, and there is "anecdotal evidence" of its success.

In other words, you just made it up.

Its good that while the howard led coalition got away with this sort of thing, the current mob are being called out for it in a big way.

Its mostly symbolic and a waste of space

From the governments website: https://employment.gov.au/work-dole

Job seekers benefit from Work for the Dole activities by:
  • developing on-the-job skills
  • demonstrating abilities to potential employers
  • obtaining references from work experience employers
  • making new work contacts
  • taking part in training
  • staying connected to the workforce
None of the things listed above can be bad for the individual.

What exactly are the issues that Lefties have with work for the dole schemes?????

From the governments website: https://employment.gov.au/work-dole

None of the things listed above can be bad for the individual.

What exactly are the issues that Lefties have with work for the dole schemes?????
Why is everyone who disagrees with the policy a "leftie".

That large of an increase in work for the dole numbers, means they will have to be used in areas already filled by unskilled paid labor, most likely contracted by state or local governments. Genuine workers will be undercut on price, in fact the whole point of this exercise is to depress the demand and price of labor and trim public service numbers.

Secondly, it makes it far harder for recent graduates and skilled workers to find employment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back