AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd lose some atmosphere though

Dunno, an extra 10k with that end enlosed would make it even louder, the quarters would never end.

You can't even see the hill (grass) during the game it, its not like you can sit there and say - isn't the grass lovely. Look at the bloody oval if you want to see grass. Don't get me started on that old scoreboard that shouldn't be there for AFL.

Dunno, an extra 10k with that end enlosed would make it even louder, the quarters would never end.

You can't even see the hill (grass) during the game it, its not like you can sit there and say - isn't the grass lovely. Look at the bloody oval if you want to see grass. Don't get me started on that old scoreboard that shouldn't be there for AFL.

Agreed, I stood on the hill for a bit for the Hawks game, it's become a dirt patch since the footy started and you can hardly hear the crowd noise when we score a goal compared to sitting in the stands. Imagine the noise of 60,000 plus if we had a Northern Grandstand.

Beauty, another 50,000 + crowd coming up. I love the atmosphere at AO with big crowds. I reckon the structure of the stands magnifies the noise.
Sounds the same as 100,000 at the G, or maybe that's my imagination working overtime.
Could well be. Doubling the crowd doesn't have too much effect on the decibel count necessarily, big part played by the acoustics of the stadium.

Northern grandstand isn't happening before the Figs die at the very least, move along

Adelaide City Council have been known to adversely affect the health of trees "in the wrong place"

I'm happy for another stand in time but I am OK with capacity at the moment. Bigger stadium becomes more expensive to run. At the moment I think both clubs need the demand created by having a smaller stadium.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A sporting ground isn't a museum. They need to change and upgrade over time or they become...well....AAMI stadium. We don't need a Northern Grandstand at the moment, but in 10-15 years time if we need more seats I hope "tradition" doesn't stand in the way of an upgrade to the Hill. Tradition is just a sugar-coated way of saying "but it's always been that way." It doesn't hold up as a stand alone argument.

lets not forget that other iconic grounds in australia all had hills or terraces too. all are now gone. hell the gabba even had a dog track!

does that make adelaide oval unique, or just 30 years behind the times?

lets not forget that other iconic grounds in australia all had hills or terraces too. all are now gone. hell the gabba even had a dog track!

unique

I think the fact that easterners mention the hill/scoreboard about 50 times more than the southern stand during coverage shows that the hill is still admired/recognised by those that don't have an emotional attachment.

I just don't see the need to remove the only remaining part of the old Adelaide Oval, when it provides a feature that no other ground in the country has.

Replacing the hill with a new stand will only increase capacity by 7,500. The northern end can hold 6,500 people (3500 on hill, 3000 seats), the southern stand 14,000.

Do we really want to spend another $100 million to squeeze an extra 7,000 in?

I think the fact that easterners mention the hill/scoreboard about 50 times more than the southern stand during coverage shows that the hill is still admired/recognised by those that don't have an emotional attachment.

I just don't see the need to remove the only remaining part of the old Adelaide Oval, when it provides a feature that no other ground in the country has.

Replacing the hill with a new stand will only increase capacity by 7,500. The northern end can hold 6,500 people (3500 on hill, 3000 seats), the southern stand 14,000.

Good post. I hadn't realised how little we would gain in capacity.

totally agree with everything you've said here

because everyone else got rid of their hills, ours is now unique

definately not worth spending 100 million on for the sake of an extra 7-10k

14k vs 19k
Thanks

so 5k could be added by replacing that western stand with a new version that mirrors the east, maybe even make it slightly higher and/or go around a bit further into the northern pocket and you get close to that extra 7k while maintaining the hill. I think that'd be more likely to happen before losing the hill

Thanks

so 5k could be added by replacing that western stand with a new version that mirrors the east, maybe even make it slightly higher and/or go around a bit further into the northern pocket and you get close to that extra 7k while maintaining the hill. I think that'd be more likely to happen before losing the hill

That's a great idea also.

It's be interesting to see what would be done to the Adelaide Oval if Adelaide was to host the Commonwealth Games in the next 10-15 years.

Thanks

You can't have Members squashing in like plebs in the outer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back