Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

:rolleyes: Simonds is a 33,000 seat stadium and we're not asking to play the biggest Vic clubs like the Hawks, Pies or Bombers down there.

ONE game against Carlton or Richmond down there isn't a lot to ask.
Don't try to use logic and fairness in the debate, most BF posters don't understand those concepts. :p:D

Carlton v Geelong have played twice in 9 weeks at Etihad on Friday Nights and drawn 36k and 38k on both occasions. I don't see why the AFL wouldn't have a match down in Geelong Saturday night next year.

Geelong then have 3 other home games at the MCG/Etihad vs either Hawthorn/Essendon/Collingwood

Don't see the issue. It's not practical for the Cats to 11 "Home Games" at Simonds.

Because that means over 3 and 5 thousand people would miss out unnecessarily. Turn out could always be bigger next time (especially if Carlton are in top 8 of the ladder) cant know for sure.

Because that means over 3 and 5 thousand people would miss out unnecessarily. Turn out could always be bigger next time (especially if Carlton are in top 8 of the ladder) cant know for sure.
The bottom line is that you have no right to expect our HOME game against you should be played on your home ground. This is the disadvantage Geelong gets in fixturing, as compared to other clubs. Tough t***ies if 5,000 Carlton supporters can't get in the ground. It's played live on TV, so they're hardly missing out on anything. if the AFL want us to cough up for equalisation then give us more games at Simonds, not Etihad where no one makes money.

The bottom line is that you have no right to expect our HOME game against you should be played on your home ground. This is the disadvantage Geelong gets in fixturing, as compared to other clubs. Tough t***ies if 5,000 Carlton supporters can't get in the ground. It's played live on TV, so they're hardly missing out on anything. if the AFL want us to cough up for equalisation then give us more games at Simonds, not Etihad where no one makes money.

I'm sure the AFL would be happy with the lost revenue of 5,000 spectators, not to mention all the crap they'll get from these people.

Please, Etihad and MCG are basically as much Geelong's home ground as all the other Melbourne clubs, who don't have their suburban home grounds anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought all the other clubs like Gold Coast etc play at their home grounds as there are no other options, whereas in Melbourne there are.

But good luck to the Cats if they can get a big club down there. It is their home ground afterall.
The dumb thing is the so-called "big" clubs have played at Simonds up until recently. It's only been since the last ?ten years that the AFL has scheduled these games at bigger venues in the name of making more money from the sport, and probably the lucrative TV rights as well.

I'm sure the AFL would be happy with the lost revenue of 5,000 spectators, not to mention all the crap they'll get from these people.

Given Geelong makes a $600,000 profit at Simonds per game and a $150,000 profit at Etihad per home game, I don't think the AFL would give a rats ass about 5000 spectators missing out on seeing the game at Simonds.

The dumb thing is the so-called "big" clubs have played at Simonds up until recently. It's only been since the last ?ten years that the AFL has scheduled these games at bigger venues in the name of making more money from the sport, and probably the lucrative TV rights as well.
yep its completely unfair and almost certainly cost us a top four spot in 2012. The fact we are so successful despite being massively disadvantage in terms of number of home games is truly astounding.

Brendan Gale has come out and said "no way", that its not fair to Richmond's 65,000 members. On that basis playing at Etihad isn't fair either

I'd have thought Carlton would jump at the opportunity to play at Simonds Stadium, given they have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad....never

Away teams really shouldn't have a say on where the game is played, they are visitors for a reason.

Collingwood sent to Geelong, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, Tasmania, Darwin & Alice Springs all in the one year I'd like to see that

Come on Ed make it happen

"Richmond has been a regular visitor to Simonds Stadium, having played there seven times since 2000", so clearly there are some other teams due to go there before us.[/QUOTE]

We always play there.
I've been to Simmonds countless times watching Richmond.

Is this a ploy to keep an improving Richmond down next year?

ONE game against Carlton or Richmond down there isn't a lot to ask.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right.

Like I said,we always travel down there.

Why do Collingwood or Essendon get off scott free?

LOL the game is so corrupt.

It's always Richmond the AFL push.

Equalisation money = Richmond have to pay!

We haven't won a flag for 34 years.

do you see us running to the AFL for a priority pick?

NO.

Deees beat us this year remember.

The AFL trying to stop the sleeping giant awakening again since 1980!

Well you already have the dream financial situation at KP, and then to ask to play your remaining matches as blockbusters at the MCG seems a bit rich to me.
You do realise that your team has played 12 games on it's home deck this year?

And that would be 13 if you didn't sell your soul to NZ.
In fact, play that game at Etihad and we won't have to cover your arse by having to play our home game at Etihad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back