Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Article on afl.com.au suggests Geelong are pushing to host one of Carlton or Richmond at KP next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-21/cats-want-home-blockbuster

Seems ridiculous to me that this is even a discussion.

Richmond has 60k members, yet according to the article, less than 2500 of them turned out when we played them at the MCG earlier this year.

I'm still not sure why we don't get 11 games (plus finals) at KP every year. If Metricon/Spotless are good enough for the likes of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon etc, why isn't KP? Absolutely vintage AFL "equalisation", money over fairness.

Article on afl.com.au suggests Geelong are pushing to host one of Carlton or Richmond at KP next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-21/cats-want-home-blockbuster

Seems ridiculous to me that this is even a discussion.

Richmond has 60k members, yet according to the article, less than 2500 of them turned out when we played them at the MCG earlier this year.

I'm still not sure why we don't get 11 games (plus finals) at KP every year. If Metricon/Spotless are good enough for the likes of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon etc, why isn't KP? Absolutely vintage AFL "equalisation", money over fairness.

You should play all your home games there. It should not be about attendances at all...you should never play a home game at the G

You played Richmond at Kardinia like two years ago.

Not questioning that, but we played a home game against them at the MCG this year.

How is it fair for us to play a "home" game against a team, on their home ground?

Why is it all of a sudden Richmond can't come to KP, as they have been doing for years?

Not questioning that, but we played a home game against them at the MCG this year.

How is it fair for us to play a "home" game against a team, on their home ground?

Why is it all of a sudden Richmond can't come to KP, as they have been doing for years?
They had a hissy fit during the redevelopment.

I'm reasonably sure if the AFL were to offer us 11 home games, we would take it everyday of the week.
No they wouldn't. Cook has said it over and over.
They want 3 MCG home games.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Brendan Gale has come out and said "no way", that its not fair to Richmond's 65,000 members. On that basis playing at Etihad isn't fair either

I'd have thought Carlton would jump at the opportunity to play at Simonds Stadium, given they have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad....never

I think 8 home games at Simonds with 4 Vic teams and 4 interstate teams is not an unfair request from Geelong to the AFL. I wonder how many other clubs are forced to only play 7 times a year at their home venue? None that is, and yet they want us to cough up money toward equalisation.

We play home games against Melbourne and Collingwood at the MCG. You get over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I'm concerned Geelong should play all their home games against vic sides at KP or none of them.

Brendan Gale has come out and said "no way", that its not fair to Richmond's 65,000 members. On that basis playing at Etihad isn't fair either

I'd have thought Carlton would jump at the opportunity to play at Simonds Stadium, given they have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad....never

Well Richmond should surely never have to play anywhere but the MCG then. It's definitely not fair on their 65000 members to play anywhere else.

Well Richmond should surely never have to play anywhere but the MCG then. It's definitely not fair on their 65000 members to play anywhere else.
They were selling home games to Cairns recently, did all their 65,000 members get there?

It should not be about crowds. Your home ground is Kardinia Park. That's where you should play ALL your home games.
It's not just about crowds for christ sake.

We used to play teams like richmond, the saints, and North in front of 3 deros and a dog at Waverley and the MCG.
All clubs have played games at the big stadiums for as long as I can remember.

It's ground utilisation.

It should not be about crowds. Your home ground is Kardinia Park. That's where you should play ALL your home games.
Tend to agree but I know that's not how it goes. I have never been to Patterson Stadium because it is on the other side of the planet. How "fair" is that? We all accept Freo & WCE must play home games on their home ground, ditto Gold Coast at Metricon (capacity 25,000), and GWS at Spotless Stadium (capacity 24,000). Yet when it comes to Geelong there is this perverted mentality that certain opposition teams just cannot be expected to play at Simonds Stadium because the ground capacity is 33,500.

I am more than happy for Geelong to play blockbuster home games at the MCG, but....

I'm pretty sure Geelong don't want 11 games down there.

Why would you cap your membership at 35k odd and also really restrict yourself to being a regional club? Just bad business.

The current arrangement of playing interstate and smaller Victorian clubs works so well for them. Almost too well as far as I'm concerned.

So I'm glad they are investigating playing a bigger Victorian club. But notice it's Carlton or Richmond. They are being very strategic. Still more than likely playing a lesser team. And they'll preserve home games against Ess, Coll, Hawks.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's just a move to swap a game at Etihad against Carlton that is a lose-lose for them to Geelong and then play a non Etihad team at Etihad (like Melb or Rich) or even an interstate team there. Of course what they really want is 3 blockbuster home games a year v Coll, Haw and 1 other team a the G and then play the other 8 home games at Geelong.

Tend to agree but I know that's not how it goes. I have never been to Patterson Stadium because it is on the other side of the planet. How "fair" is that? We all accept Freo & WCE must play home games on their home ground, ditto Gold Coast at Metricon (capacity 25,000), and GWS at Spotless Stadium (capacity 24,000). Yet when it comes to Geelong there is this perverted mentality that certain opposition teams just cannot be expected to play at Simonds Stadium because the ground capacity is 33,500.

I am more than happy for Geelong to play blockbuster home games at the MCG, but....

This is exactly the hypocrisy I have come to expect from the AFL.

Absolutely unfathomable that Freo/West Coast and the SA teams are able to play 11 home games a year, and we are not, let alone the expansion clubs.

I can understand "selling" home games to other grounds, but why should we be forced to play home games elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back