Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

One person

I personally would prefer we have 11 games at KP. Understand it's unlikely to happen, but why don't we have at worst a 9-2 split between it and the MCG?

Seems fair that the clubs that aren't being mentioned in the article, ie Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn should come down once every three years each, or similar.

"Richmond has been a regular visitor to Simonds Stadium, having played there seven times since 2000", so clearly there are some other teams due to go there before us.

We always play there.
I've been to Simmonds countless times watching Richmond.

Is this a ploy to keep an improving Richmond down next year?

ONE game against Carlton or Richmond down there isn't a lot to ask.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right.

Like I said,we always travel down there.

Why do Collingwood or Essendon get off scott free?

LOL the game is so corrupt.

It's always Richmond the AFL push.

Equalisation money = Richmond have to pay!

We haven't won a flag for 34 years.

do you see us running to the AFL for a priority pick?

NO.

Deees beat us this year remember.

The AFL trying to stop the sleeping giant awakening again since 1980![/QUOTE]

Turn it up mate, you had priority picks a few years ago and did zero with them. You guys are almost as bad as Melbourne with your development, deal with it.

You do realise that your team has played 12 games on it's home deck this year?

And that would be 13 if you didn't sell your soul to NZ.
In fact, play that game at Etihad and we won't have to cover your arse by having to playing our home game at Etihad.

I understand that, I'm not saying you shouldn't play all of your home games at Geelong. It just seems very self-centred to me that you would ask for say 8 games at Kardinia Park and then the remaining three at the MCG, thereby consigning other clubs with less favourable ground deals to more matches at Etihad.

I would have thought all the other clubs like Gold Coast etc play at their home grounds as there are no other options, whereas in Melbourne there are.
That argument doesn't stack up:

Distance from Metricon to the Gabba 72 km
Distance from KP to the MCG 76 km

I'm not sure how any Hawthorn supporter can question this considering the Launceston arrangement. Not that I have any problem with the Hawks playing in Launceston. What they do with their home grounds is their business.

The other principle about this is why should a supporter of a 'big club' have any more rights than a supporter of a small club. Say I was a Freo supporter living in Melbourne and my neighbour is a Collingwood supporter. Why should the AFL be acting to to give my neighbour guaranteed access to an away match, whilst at the same time I frequently get hampered in supporting my club because it is small?

I'm not sure how any Hawthorn supporter can question this considering the Launceston arrangement. Not that I have any problem with the Hawks playing in Launceston. What they do with their home grounds is their business.

The other principle about this is why should a supporter of a 'big club' have any more rights than a supporter of a small club. Say I was a Freo supporter living in Melbourne and my neighbour is a Collingwood supporter. Why should the AFL be acting to to give my neighbour guaranteed access to an away match, whilst at the same time I frequently get hampered in supporting my club because it is small?

And why should Geelong give up a home advantage to Hawthorn or Collingwood just because Hawthorn and Collingwood are big?

I understand that, I'm not saying you shouldn't play all of your home games at Geelong. It just seems very self-centred to me that you would ask for say 8 games at Kardinia Park and then the remaining three at the MCG, thereby consigning other clubs with less favourable ground deals to more matches at Etihad.
Gil said (just after he was appointed) that "we have a ridiculous situation where one Victorian club is playing home games on 3 different Victorian grounds"

So it's going to get fixed.
Sooner or later.

I'm guessing the cats are trying to seize the day with this push.

Geelong should have at least 9 games at KP, Carlton haven't played there since 1997, I think it is pointless that these two teams played twice this season at the same ground! Richmond have played there 6 times since 2005, it shouldn't be an issue. In fact i don't see why Essendon can't go down there either.

I agree that big Victorian clubs should have to play at Simmonds but it should be Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon that are first in the queue, not Richmond.

Richmond played at Simmonds in 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2001, 1998, 1997, 1996 and pretty much every year before that.
Collingwood haven't played there since 1999.
Carlton haven't been down there since 1997.
Essendon haven't been there since 1993.

In fact Hawthorn haven't even been down there since 2006, and only twice since the new century ticked over. Could you imagine a Geelong vs Hawthorn match at Skilled next year? It would be amazing.

Painting Richmond as a pampered club that never goes down there is wrong. There's 4 other Vic clubs that are more looked after in that regard.

From where I stand, it is a major disadvantage that smaller clubs constantly have to travel down to Kardinia Park and clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn avoid it.

I know the AFL won't want to give up the extra profit made by having such games at the MCG or Etihad but if they want to have a fair and equitable draw then they should make these teams travel down to Geelong.

I agree that big Victorian clubs should have to play at Simmonds but it should be Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon that are first in the queue, not Richmond.

Richmond played at Simmonds in 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2001, 1998, 1997, 1996 and pretty much every year before that.
Collingwood haven't played there since 1999.
Carlton haven't been down there since 1997.
Essendon haven't been there since 1993.

In fact Hawthorn haven't even been down there since 2006, and only twice since the new century took over. Could you imagine a Geelong vs Hawthorn match at Skilled next year? It would be amazing.

Painting Richmond as a pampered club that never goes down there is wrong. There's 4 other Vic clubs that are more looked after in that regard.

I've got no issue with Richmond, they've come down on a regular basis.

Is a little frustrating that we moved a home game to the MCG to play them this year, and only 34k showed up, but not much you can do about that, I suppose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a little frustrating that we moved a home game to the MCG to play them this year, and only 34k showed up, but not much you can do about that, I suppose...

On that particular day though, the weather was horrible and Richmond had been in terrible form. No doubt when the AFL fixtured that match they would have expected 50,000+.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think you'll find though that the Suns won;t go and play in Brisbane as they are trying to grow the game around the gold coast area, defeats the purpose if you take them out of there to play their games, whereas Geelong has a strong supporter base as it is.

Again, I have no worries Geelong playing games down at Simmonds, and if Hawthorn got told we had to play there then so be it.

Article on afl.com.au suggests Geelong are pushing to host one of Carlton or Richmond at KP next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-21/cats-want-home-blockbuster

Seems ridiculous to me that this is even a discussion.

Richmond has 60k members, yet according to the article, less than 2500 of them turned out when we played them at the MCG earlier this year.

I'm still not sure why we don't get 11 games (plus finals) at KP every year. If Metricon/Spotless are good enough for the likes of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon etc, why isn't KP? Absolutely vintage AFL "equalisation", money over fairness.
Personally I think its a good idea . It may be about money too. I think you'd find other clubs with big memberships and followings would turn up.

The Doggies might like a game down there too.

I'm pretty sure Geelong don't want 11 games down there.

Why would you cap your membership at 35k odd and also really restrict yourself to being a regional club? Just bad business.

The current arrangement of playing interstate and smaller Victorian clubs works so well for them. Almost too well as far as I'm concerned.

So I'm glad they are investigating playing a bigger Victorian club. But notice it's Carlton or Richmond. They are being very strategic. Still more than likely playing a lesser team. And they'll preserve home games against Ess, Coll, Hawks.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's just a move to swap a game at Etihad against Carlton that is a lose-lose for them to Geelong and then play a non Etihad team at Etihad (like Melb or Rich) or even an interstate team there. Of course what they really want is 3 blockbuster home games a year v Coll, Haw and 1 other team a the G and then play the other 8 home games at Geelong.
What happens at KP when Geelong is away. Just VFL I'd assume. I think non geelong games would be a great idea down there. The trip down the road to Cat country is not far. Might get a look at this when the big world game teams come over next year?

:rolleyes: Simonds is a 33,000 seat stadium and we're not asking to play the biggest Vic clubs like the Hawks, Pies or Bombers down there.

ONE game against Carlton or Richmond down there isn't a lot to ask.

While I was joking there I do sympathise. Hawthorn have been trying for years to get the AFL to schedule a blockbuster in Tassie - think Kennett even specifically requested the Cats or Collingwood in 2012. We usually end up with Brisbane, Freo, Sydney and maybe the Dogs or North. I feel for Victorian Lions fans who essentially miss out on seeing their team because the AFL continually schedules us in Tassie, for example.

The AFL won't change this because they want to maximise attendances/eyeballs, ignoring the interests of the club. Given that Simonds is now state of the art I don't see why you shouldn't get a big game there, certainly at least more than Freo and Port every year - not that they aren't big teams, but you know what I mean.

I liked that game. Richmond trolled themself with their kicking and also the booze heads got pissed when people paid out their crowd and the lack of their fans.

KP is bog ordinary compared to the G and Etihad.

The stadium isn't good enough to host any "blockbusters" and you already play Carlton at neutral ground. I don't see why Geelongs whinge about nobody wanting to play them at KP when opposition clubs gain nothing by doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back