St Kilda looking to trade out pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe if you had pick two but I can't see the Saints giving up the chance of getting either Petracca or McCartin for Jaksch, too much of a gamble.

Of course, if you knew how the rules went together, you'd just be saying

"If personal terms agreed then PSD is go. Lol. Just like Lamb'.

Of course, if you knew how the rules went together, you'd just be saying

"If personal terms agreed then PSD is go. Lol. Just like Lamb'.

In general we try to discourage the PSD threats because some fans just rely on it to the point of being a mental block on this board.

If GWS beat the Dogs next week, they could finish out of the bottom 4 and get pick 5 or 6.

Could pick 1 (Petracca for GWS) + something be enough for the Saints to get pick 5/6, O'Rourke and Jaksch? Would the Saints possibly need to add their early second round pick (approx. pick 20)?

GWS are clearly after the best of the best - they don't want just good players now, they want elite players. They have a lot of depth in terms of potentially good/highly rated young players, so losing 2 would be ok if they got ready made Petracca.

Meanwhile St Kilda would be getting equivalent of three first round picks - something Pelchen said they would be looking at doing this year. They might get Brayshaw for 5, and in 2 years will have added Brayshaw, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Longer, Bruce and Savage as decent young players (the first 7 potential guns). Add Steven, Armitage, Stanley, Newnes, Webster, Wright, Saunders, Murdoch and Hickey, there's your rebuild. Saints should be happy to do that trade no problems, and just have to make GWS happy somehow.

GWS obviously giving up a lot but I ask - is O'Rourke able to fit into GWS? Petracca would. And is Jaksch worth keeping, or better to trade him now when his currency is fairly high (depends whether they are happy to leave). Jaksch won't get much of an opportunity I'd think when you look at the KP talent on GWS list, and so they aren't giving up best 22 players really...

GWS getting ripped off massively in that scenario.

That was my thought - I still posted it just because Giants might see Petracca as pretty much a required player, but Jaksch/O'Rourke as able to go.

Saints would say no deal, I'd expect.

Really? Would have thought you're getting 3 class players, instead of 1? Hypothetical obviously, assuming Saints are still open to trading pick 1 if they don't think McCartin/Wright suits them (I don't think either do tbh).

Probably just been made a moot point losing to the Pies, Giants should be able to get Petracca using pick 3 if they want him without losing all of O'Rourke, Jaksch and pick 3 in the same trade. Pick 3 >>> pick 5 by far, don't care if it's an 'even draft'.

Probably just been made a moot point losing to the Pies, Giants should be able to get Petracca using pick 3 if they want him without losing all of O'Rourke, Jaksch and pick 3 in the same trade. Pick 3 >>> pick 5 by far, don't care if it's an 'even draft'.
Pretty sure the saints will take him with the 1 st pick

Why would StKilda not pick Petracca if he is the consensus No 1 ? He will be ready from day one and will have an impact.

Not sure he is consensus number 1.

I'd love him at the Giants but many have McCartin as number 1 and others have Wright and even Brayshaw in dispatches.

Petracca does seem to have the momentum however and would not be surprised at all if St Kilda took him as best available.

As if this whole scenario wasn't interesting enough, Peter Wright just put the cat amongst the pigeons IMO with his dominant game when moved out to CHF on the weekend (from memory, 29 possies, 14 marks and 4 goals, according to Shifter). Was probably the game up forward that many of us were really hoping we'd see from him at least once this year and has put him at no.1 in Plough's rolling draft, at least (not that that's saying much!) and will have gotten the attention of many and could have put him right in the mix for pick 1.

If we are after a "Riewoldt replacement" he may be as good a like-for-like option as any, as he, like Nick, has an enormous tank and as he showed on the weekend, can use that to advantage just running here there and everywhere and taking mark after mark, racking up the stats and kicking his little bag of goals.

If Spencer White comes on as we are hoping he will then he could be our long term solution for FF and Wright could replace Riewoldt out at CHF (with Stanley possibly still playing his forward/ruck role and Tom Lee also in the mix somewhere there).

(Someone else that Wright reminds me of is Adelaide's Tom Lynch, who has not only the red hair in common with Wright, but also the huge tank, that allows him to just cover a mountain of ground and like Lynch, 2-metre-Peter could play that roaming far and wide role, regularly getting 20+ possies (like Lynch has in the past 2 seasons), but unlike Lynch, Wright has the extra height (10+ cm) to then be much more of a threat once he moves inside the forward 50 and he also has a better and longer kick (including for goal) than Lynch (by all reports), plus reportedly much better speed (supposedly 3 seconds dead for the 20m). Plus of course, he has the ability to play to a high level in the ruck and if he grows any more could be even better there.)

The question may be though, could we get Wright with a pick like 4, if we did a trade with GWS? Or could a strong finish to the season by Wright mean that we could get McCartin with pick 4?

If GWS took Petracca at 1 and Melbourne kept both picks 2 and 3 (if they have them), then they could very easily take one of McCartin and Wright and then likely Brayshaw with the other, as all the reports are that Roos wants "mids mids and more mids" (especially taller ones, which Brayshaw pretty much is), so I doubt very, very much that they would take both McCartin and Wright, meaning that one of them could be available at pick 4.

If we felt that one of McCartin or Wright were going to be available at pick 4 then I reckon we'd be very interested in trading down, but of course the danger would be that Melbourne could go out and trade one (or both) of picks 2 and 3 to a club or clubs that would take either of them, so that would be a real risk. The last thing we'd probably want to do is trade down from 1 for a "mid" and then get another one (Brayshaw) with our new first pick.

It would be partly because of that risk that we most likely wouldn't trade down for "just" a Jaksch or especially a JOR.

Clubs just don't trade pick 1 anymore and as such, for us to buck that trend and do it for the first time since Freo did it's going to have to involve someone who is pretty much a "certainty" to make it (ie. someone who has already shown that they are up to the level), I expect, even if that means us throwing in our 2nd rounder, or someone off our list, to balance the trade out.

Last edited:
Why would StKilda not pick Petracca if he is the consensus No 1 ? He will be ready from day one and will have an impact.
If we have and keep pick one then we very easily could, as he could be dominant both in the midfield and also up forward and as you suggested could make an immediate impact (something like a cross between Dunstan and Billings- ie. with Dunstan's ready-made build and endurance, but playing the sort of role Billings was this year), but ideally we want to add to our key forward stocks, as they are probably the most important issue for us going forward (with all of Wight, Stanley and Lee (and even Bruce, who played very well there before his injury) an iffy proposition still), so ideally we'd be wanting to get a "gun key forward" out of pick one this year (one way or another), especially since next year's draft looks like the top end will be much more midfield-strong.

Again though, I don't expect you would walk away disappointed if you picked Petracca, that's for damn sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't GWS have Pick 3 atm?
If thats the case, why would we not trade Pick 1 for say Pick 3 and Jacksch or Pick 3 and 20?
One of Petracca, McCartin or Wright? please and thank you!

Won't GWS have Pick 3 atm?
If thats the case, why would we not trade Pick 1 for say Pick 3 and Jacksch or Pick 3 and 20?
One of Petracca, McCartin or Wright? please and thank you!

One of the wild cards is whether Melbourne get #3, as either a PP or as compensation for losing Frawley.

If Melbourne are sitting at #2 and #3, trading GWS to #1/Petracca has the risk that Melbourne trade #2/McCartion to Carlton and #3/Wright to Dogs.

I thought the top 10 or so where all pretty much evenly rated this year ?

I thought the top 10 or so where all pretty much evenly rated this year ?
Probably the top 5 or 6 are I reckon, so teams that already have good picks wont fall over themselves to get pick 1 like they may have in other years. Its not the most valuable pick 1 on offer if that makes sense.

Probably the top 5 or 6 are I reckon, so teams that already have good picks wont fall over themselves to get pick 1 like they may have in other years. Its not the most valuable pick 1 on offer if that makes sense.
These stkilda supporters who want the farm for pick one this year which is half the value of last years are kidding themselves

These stkilda supporters who want the farm for pick one this year which is half the value of last years are kidding themselves

It would be a huge get for West Coast who are in dire need of a 190+ cm midfielder. Not sure what we could package with our 1st pick that would be enough to get it. We can't afford to lose out potentially high level Mids in Gaff, Sheed & Shuey or our young key forwards or backs in Emac, McGovern & Darling.

Our 3rd pick is most likely going to be used on Waterman so it leaves us with

Pick 10 (?)
Pick 28 (?)
M Brown + 10
Schoefield + 10 + 28
Sinclair + 10 + 28
Josh Kennedy + ?
Priddis + 28
Scott Selwood + 28

As our only players/picks with any sort of value

It would be a huge get for West Coast who are in dire need of a 190+ cm midfielder. Not sure what we could package with our 1st pick that would be enough to get it. We can't afford to lose out potentially high level Mids in Gaff, Sheed & Shuey or our young key forwards or backs in Emac, McGovern & Darling.

Our 3rd pick is most likely going to be used on Waterman so it leaves us with

Pick 10 (?)
Pick 28 (?)
M Brown + 10
Schoefield + 10 + 28
Sinclair + 10 + 28
Josh Kennedy
Priddis + 28
Scott Selwood + 28

As our only players/picks with any sort of value
Good list, half of the options are fairly realistic

Good list, half of the options are fairly realistic
It's hard. With Glass, Cox and possibly Waters retiring it leaves Priddis and Butler as our most experienced players so we wont want to give up players who are proven guns and/or look like they will be vital to our future and we don't have a potential star/200 gamer who cant get a game. These are exactly the type of players Melbourne will be after.

Scott Selwood is really the only mid who may be attractive to West Coast as trade bait while also being attractive to Melbourne.

I'm sure they'd love Josh Kennedy but is he too old?

Mitch Brown could be an option. With the emergence of McGovern down back and West Coast recently having McInness play down back in the WAFL, Brown could potentially be an option. Is Brown + pick 10 enough?

Not sure if Brown + 10 would be enough... tempting but perhaps a swap of other picks? This is a tough one to read.

I just googled it.. Brown is 25. Turns 26 this year. Which means he'll be 27 if we have him next year and that's not an ideal age seeing as most likely we'll be wanting to be near a premiership around 2020, making Brown 32-33 years old and almost (if not already) at retirement, with that in mind that's a no deal.

Andrew Gaff is from Victoria originally, what's the deal with him? Is he contracted?
Could take Gaff + 10 for pick 1, or
perhaps Gaff +10 + 30 for picks 1 + 38.

Not sure.

Not sure if Brown + 10 would be enough... tempting but perhaps a swap of other picks? This is a tough one to read.

I just googled it.. Brown is 25. Turns 26 this year. Which means he'll be 27 if we have him next year and that's not an ideal age seeing as most likely we'll be wanting to be near a premiership around 2020, making Brown 32-33 years old and almost (if not already) at retirement, with that in mind that's a no deal.

Andrew Gaff is from Victoria originally, what's the deal with him? Is he contracted?

Not sure.

No dealing with West Coast.

Gaff Pick 1 PSD or nothing. Stuff West Coast.

Yo

Not sure.
You are so greedy lol. You're not getting anything better than brown and pick 10

Yo
You are so greedy lol. You're not getting anything better than brown and pick 10
I'd say asking for more than an average medium defender and a mid-first round pick for the best Aussie Rules player born in '96 is more than OK. Just my opinion. If you want pick 1, it's Darling straight swap or Shuey + 28. Really only GWS are going to have the pieces and the willingness to move those pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back