Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is that Hawthorn offer wasn't that much different to Sydney' in terms of Money. The difference was the duration. Hawthorn offered him $4.5 over 4 years which is in fact BETTER than what he is currently on.
He proboably has now realised that his move to Sydney had a countereffect of putting him more in the Limelight rather than him quietly getting on with things in Melbourne. Also, maybee from this point on he may lose some interest in playing football based on a contract where there is no room to move.

Buddy wanted the money and he took his chances of going to Sydney because a) money b) money c) he might win more fans. Oops. I can't blame him for the money aspect as the players have very short careers in their whole lifetimes but he misjudged Hawthorn ability to win a flag without him. I actually think we are a better team for him being gone. We were a little bit predictable with him here.

Franklin put in a huge effort - we played dirty against him with Spangher, Gibson and lake all clipping him across the head well after a mark had been taken.

He is a champ, but he's now a lonely champ. His really mates are partying their arses off and enjoyed the morning after party.

He sat in the Sydney team bus for half an hour on his own after the match.
I kinda felt sad for him when reading that. Then I came to my senses. He made his bed, now he got to lie in it. He played good game yesterday, too bad his team mates mailed the game in.

The reality is that Hawthorn offer wasn't that much different to Sydney' in terms of Money. The difference was the duration. Hawthorn offered him $4.5 over 4 years which is in fact BETTER than what he is currently on.
He proboably has now realised that his move to Sydney had a countereffect of putting him more in the Limelight rather than him quietly getting on with things in Melbourne. Also, maybee from this point on he may lose some interest in playing football based on a contract where there is no room to move.

The reality of it is, regardless of what was on the table from both clubs, the 'third party' deals formed the bulk of the total package. Whichever club he went to he would have ended up an extremely wealthy man for the rest of his days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget this GUY absolutely Still Loves Hawthorn, just now he is in a tough position with how the year unfolded. 100% if Hawthorn wasnt playing Sydney he would of been in the Hawthorn rooms after the game... Shouldn't hate the bloke now that the season is over.

The reality of it is, regardless of what was on the table from both clubs, the 'third party' deals formed the bulk of the total package. Whichever club he went to he would have ended up an extremely wealthy man for the rest of his days.
Negligible difference, there is no proof the third party deals would be greater than that of Buddyboot, Buddyball, buddyshirt, buddy jeans etc.

This whole Lance Franklin deal has a real Lebron James feel to it. Watch Hawthorn fans embrace him again one day.
Long term it will be a blessing.
His money we didnt have to spend to keep him, will make us stronger,as we buy what we need and $ydney weaker when they cant afford to buy more players or hold on to the ones they have.

....until the AFL steps in and gives them another suitcase full

Negligible difference, there is no proof the third party deals would be greater than that of Buddyboot, Buddyball, buddyshirt, buddy jeans etc.

Somehow don't think the various trinkets that Buddy puts his name to would have exceeded the 'set-you-up-for-life' package that both clubs put in front of Buddy. Of which, only a portion was directly via the clubs.

Don't forget this GUY absolutely Still Loves Hawthorn, just now he is in a tough position with how the year unfolded. 100% if Hawthorn wasnt playing Sydney he would of been in the Hawthorn rooms after the game... Shouldn't hate the bloke now that the season is over.

Oh, but his love can be bought. So can his sense of decency. So can his honesty.

Fact is he bullshitted the club for a year. He didn't even have the decency to insist we get a fair trade.

I hate how he screwed the club over. And I always will.

It was sly and deceitful.

Somehow don't think the various trinkets that Buddy puts his name to would have exceeded the 'set-you-up-for-life' package that both clubs put in front of Buddy. Of which, only a portion was directly via the clubs.
In business not all promises are kept, so he may not be that much better of financially at Sydney than the media portrays it to be. The Cola fiasco should not be directed at him being greedy but rather Sydneys ability to manipulate the system causeing an unfair advantage. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You should by now be aware that the media feeds us crap so they can sell their papers by making you and I hate somebody and make us buy their tripe of their papers so we can read and smile at Buddys misfortunes in life. Try read between the lines of whats reported.

I can understand channelling and venting. But at the end of the day, a bit of commonsense needs to be used. To slam a player for looking after his own financial interests, knowing full well you'd do it too and that conversely no club would hesitate to terminate a player's livelihood if they thought it was in their own interests, is naive and a little pathetic. Buddy Franklin has every right to exploit his own abilities for what he can get out of them in the limited time he has to do it. He owes the club for the the time and effort they put into him? Bullshit. They would have done it for anyone they didn't keep, too. It's their job. Those happy days where a player like Dan Minogue or Ron Barassi can be hated for all eternity by the faithful should be gone, because what started as payment for playing and is now as complicated as enterprise bargaining and free agency, based upon fairness and parity for the player, is what we all bought into decades ago...

From 2005-13, I enjoyed the contributions of Buddy Franklin to the HFC. This year, I respected the man's abilities and enjoyed his highlights, hoping he wouldn't unleash them on us at an inconvenient time. But at the end of the day, he plays footy for a living - he hasn't sold out the country to the British, he's switched companies and kept a deal to better his lot secret until finalised...many of you who bash Buddy have done this and called it advancement in your career...pretty pathetic if this becomes a personal vendetta for people he'll never meet...

I still barrack for Buddy a little in most games and hope he plays well. Except for Grand Final day against the Hawks, then he can EAD. I'm glad he got his 4 goals and Sydney were thrashed.

Oh, but his love can be bought. So can his sense of decency. So can his honesty.

Fact is he bullshitted the club for a year. He didn't even have the decency to insist we get a fair trade.

I hate how he screwed the club over. And I always will.

It was sly and deceitful.

This part illustrates for me more than anything what a low blow he delivered to the club.

Fact is he bullshitted the club for a year. He didn't even have the decency to insist we get a fair trade. I hate how he screwed the club over. And I always will. It was sly and deceitful.

There will always be employee(s) in any firm planning for a move to a competitor behind their current employers back 'before' termination of their current contract for better or worse. There is no fairness in business exactly how ruthless the AFL has become. We are not in the days of the primitive VFL. The media has added salsa to this story, because a hurting party will always want to read of their ex contributors misfortune.

Not saying don't boo buddy, but now the season is over, show him some love as a person who gave you some incredible memories.
I can understand channelling and venting. But at the end of the day, a bit of commonsense needs to be used. To slam a player for looking after his own financial interests, knowing full well you'd do it too and that conversely no club would hesitate to terminate a player's livelihood if they thought it was in their own interests, is naive and a little pathetic. Buddy Franklin has every right to exploit his own abilities for what he can get out of them in the limited time he has to do it. He owes the club for the the time and effort they put into him? Bullshit. They would have done it for anyone they didn't keep, too. It's their job. Those happy days where a player like Dan Minogue or Ron Barassi can be hated for all eternity by the faithful should be gone, because what started as payment for playing and is now as complicated as enterprise bargaining and free agency, based upon fairness and parity for the player, is what we all bought into decades ago...

From 2005-13, I enjoyed the contributions of Buddy Franklin to the HFC. This year, I respected the man's abilities and enjoyed his highlights, hoping he wouldn't unleash them on us at an inconvenient time. But at the end of the day, he plays footy for a living - he hasn't sold out the country to the British, he's switched companies and kept a deal to better his lot secret until finalised...many of you who bash Buddy have done this and called it advancement in your career...pretty pathetic if this becomes a personal vendetta for people he'll never meet...

^^^ What the man said!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back