Frawley to Join Hawks. (Pick 3 to the Dees)

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS - as is ALWAYS the case, and what the average punter in the street doesn't get - your compensation is the EXTRA cap space you now have to go and sign your own free agent.

I'd agree with you, but there are literally two free agents that aren't a delisted on the market now. Two. One is Frawley, the other is Higgins.

The extra cap space is in fact worse. It will force teams to pay players forward even more - like what Melbourne did with Frawley - just so they can make the 95% minimum. I don't believe it's an 'advantage' if you are well below 95% because of the dearth of quality on your list.

To be fair - you did get shitloads of number 1 picks and priority picks during the past 6 years. And you seemed to have dodged a bullet when Scully left, giving you more picks again.
Guess which club has more before round 1 priority picks than us?

I'd agree with you, but there are literally two free agents that aren't a delisted on the market now. Two. One is Frawley, the other is Higgins.

The extra cap space is in fact worse. It will force teams to pay players forward even more - like what Melbourne did with Frawley - just so they can make the 95% minimum. I don't believe it's an 'advantage' if you are well below 95% because of the dearth of quality on your list.

Agree on that point - AFL needs to scrap the 92% rule so that sides can really underpay the cap and offer huge money to free agents down the track. The issue is that so far clubs can't pay enough to stop players going to the successful clubs at a huge discount (Frawley being a prime example of this).

I like the idea of bottom 4 clubs not being able to lose a player to FA, it protects them from being poached and feeding the stronger clubs.

Incentive for the best players at the bottoms clubs to actually put effort in, knowing they can only be free-agent traded if they move up the ladder? Win win! Haha

I remember Akermanis at the top of his game and winning a Brownlow medal accepting a rumoured $250k pa to continue and play with the Lions but was offered heaps more from Collingwood. Many Cats players were the same during their success. I remember early 2000 the Hawks list were paying 100% of their cap and more than the premiers in that time were getting paid!!!!! Generally successful teams pay unders and crap teams pay overs to keep sometimes average players from leaving.

Guys like Gibson, Lake, Burgs, Hale etc came to the Hawks for one thing premierships and I am pretty happy they got what they wanted. Maybe Frawley who has been getting paid pretty well from Melbourne has placed his money in the right spots and now is looking to fulfil his dream as a footballer! To all those clubs out there complaining you have to put yourselves in a similar position and I hope you don't get there for at least one more year.

Say thanks to the AFLPA - its a policy that ensures a poorly performing team with more than their share of 'duds' needs creative list management to build a war chest to grab a superstar like Buddy. The only thing such a club has going for it is location IF the player wants to move & $$greed - if the player seeks premiership glory, the top performing clubs on field will win every time (think GWS & Sydney in the race for Buddy).

North Melbourne were paying a fair bit of Hales salary for the first year or so i believe, not sure how the Lake deal worked, i know he took a cut but im not sure if they payed any in 2013

The problem with limiting free agents is then it becomes this whole legal issue everyone in AFL tip toes around- restricted movements, which many law types believe is illegal.

I just don't get that? If you imagine the AFL as one big company, and each team is a separate location base, then why should players have the right to choose where to go to, when they want?

If I work for a company in Sydney, I can't just decide I want to live in Melbourne, and force the company to relocate me? It's their rules.

Or is the argument that they are completely separate entities, and the AFL is technically stopping a player going to a "competing company" even out of contract? I still don't get that- AFL own and run the whole thing.. Surely it's as simple as putting a contract clause in all contracts that you agree to their terms and conditions..?

Seriously, Free Agency can go to hell. Like I said before, until it's ONLY about the money (as depressing as that is to say), or they put in complex rules to stop this kind of thing from happening (until someone finds yet another Mitch Clark type loophole anyway :p), then the best trams just become stronger.
As a result, the lower down teams gradually lose their drawcards and unique talents, and subsequently lose more and more games. Which inevitably leads to financial loses and finally....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Hawks lost a bloke who is an absolute gun and another club was willing to pay over 1 million a year for 10 years. They won a flag and have spare cap space because of it. Good on them for signing new talent...
Which we got a half eaten pack of burger rings as repayment, Melbourne at least will get a decent pick

* people have short memories.

Believe it or not Hawthorn wont be a top4 team forever, and hopeless rubbish clubs come good quickly once they get their house in order.

Hawthorn are not a back to back premiership side because of free agency. They have been victims of players leaving via free agency up until now.

They are a back to back premiership side because they are a brilliantly run club, with great coaches and a couple of all time great leaders in Hodge and Mitchell. The club made smart decisions to cash in on known talent when other clubs were over-valuing draft picks.

You can't blame Frawley for wanting out of a club like Melbourne, all he has known is losing and now to run salt into the wound he copped Roos trying not to win, simply stop the bleeding. He fecking deserves to go and enjoy playing footy for a change.

They need to change the restricted free agent rules to something more like top 35-40% of players are restricted rather than top 25%.

I have mixed feelings about this. We're giving him a lot of money/lengthy contract based on the quality of footy he produced three-four years ago. He's been insipid over the past two years and if he didn't have runs on the board he would've been likely delisted by Melbourne. There won't be any walk-up starts either, he'll need to earn his spot in the team similarly to how Brian Lake and Ben McEvoy have. I hope we can recapture some of his better form, however i'm very skeptical.

It's a legitimate disgrace that Melbourne will receive pick 3 for him, he's been a very ordinary footballer over the past two years and wouldn't command anything close to that on the trade table.
Hawthorn offered him unders because the AFL rules meant that even though MFC front loaded Frawley, he became an UFA because he was not in the highest 25% of players. But this rule came in 2 years after Melbourne signed him. If he was a restricted FA then Melbourne could have matched the offer or forced the Hawks, or someone else, to pay more for him. The rules here have disempowered Melbourne. He might not be in Hawthorn's best 10 players but he is in Melbourne's best five and they effectively are not allowed to bid to keep him. It is a legitimate disgrace that Melb might get pick 3, but it is also a disgrace that a player can leave a bottom team after eight years and go to the premier, and Melb cannot even effectively bid for his services.

Listening to Hutchy trying to blame this on Melbourne front ending Frawley's contract.

Hutchy his contract was front ending and signed years before FA came in you turd burgler, how were Melbourne supposed to prepare for something that they didn't know would exist?

This is what shits me, there are countless things we've ****ed up ourselves, but the AFL keep changing the goal posts and we've been penalised for making what was at the time a really smart move.

Again, all the best to Chip though, hope he wins the Norm Smith in 2015.

It should be judged over the life of the contract. Not the final year.

Just end front loaded or backended contracts altogether.

Publicise salaries and salary caps. Make it public to keep it honest.

* people have short memories.

Believe it or not Hawthorn wont be a top4 team forever, and hopeless rubbish clubs come good quickly once they get their house in order.

Hawthorn are not a back to back premiership side because of free agency. They have been victims of players leaving via free agency up until now.

They are a back to back premiership side because they are a brilliantly run club, with great coaches and a couple of all time great leaders in Hodge and Mitchell. The club made smart decisions to cash in on known talent when other clubs were over-valuing draft picks.

You can't blame Frawley for wanting out of a club like Melbourne, all he has known is losing and now to run salt into the wound he copped Roos trying not to win, simply stop the bleeding. He fecking deserves to go and enjoy playing footy for a change.
And all us who barrack for Melbourne can just rot? It is not our fault either. We have had one AA player in the last eight years and the Premiers just cherry picked him for unders because of rules that came in after he was signed.

This is what shits me, there are countless things we've ****** up ourselves, but the AFL keep changing the goal posts and we've been penalised for making what was at the time a really smart move.

Again, all the best to Chip though, hope he wins the Norm Smith in 2015.
Most supporters of all teams, bar Hawthorn, would be happy if he wasn't in contention for the Norm Smith.

Most supporters of all teams, bar Hawthorn, would be happy if he wasn't in contention for the Norm Smith.

Its different for Demons fans, we play finals vicariously through the players good enough to get out of the MFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back