Bumped Who Is Closer To A Premiership? Lions/Pies? (new posts start at #244)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have to say that Collingwood's window will come sooner.

You guys have the KPP'S coming through, Cloke is the obvious one, and if all goes well, Moore will be able to step into his shoes shortly after he retires.

Collingwood have had a healthy amount of youngsters come into the club in the past few years, but really, so do we. I think the biggest thing will end up being the KPP's.

I imagine Collingwood will be getting a big Free Agent next year as well, I think we spent our money already, so you guys will be able to jump further ahead of us this time next year.

All speculation though, things can change in a year, hope to see some of you down at the Gabba round one next year, should be a cracker :)

Midfielders grow on trees - a dime a dozen and can easily be traded and picked up in FA -this you know.

KPP take time to develop and unless you can find a mummy's boy wanting to go home, than you're s**t out of luck. I really do hope Paine comes along for you guys though, you'll need him

I think the lions midfield is comfortably better than ours unless we see a youngster or 2 come on next season.

We both have suspect backlines. Having shazza go down and not being able to rely on Brown or Reid hurts us but if all those players come good I suspect we'll be more capable defensively.

As for forwards, we seem better placed for talls and have a gun in Ellliot who can improve again and have added to our depth down there. Both forward lines are suspect overall though.

All being equal at either end, I suspect the lions to win from the center but they are a long way off top 4 as are we.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets use the power of statistics and analytics to get an accurate picture of where clubs are at. I think the best indication of the strength of developing teams and a strong indication of if they are heading in the right direction is how many quality teams they can knock off in a year. Best measurement we have of a quality team is that of teams who played finals (I think we can all agree), as this is really the goal for these developing clubs. I also removed double wins, so beating the same team 2 times, as this gives a poor representation.

Brisbane:
  • Def Kangaroos (Prelim Finalists) by 4

Collingwood:
  • Def Kangaroos (Prelim Finalists) by 35
  • Def Swans (Grand Finalists) by 20
  • Def Power (Prelim Finalists) by 6
  • Def Essendon (Top 8) by 23
  • Def Richmond (Top 8) by 38
Thought id include while i was at it the teams we are currently around the same position and competing with. The comparison of developing, not top 8 teams against top 8 teams isnt really a fair one, and the ability to beat good teams means less, however thought it would give a better picture. I think the 5th - 12th range is where we can get a good comparison for where we are at:

Crows: 1 Win. Power: 2 Wins. Essendon: 3 Wins. Kangaroos: 5 Wins. Richmond: 3 Wins. West Coast: 0 Wins. Gold Coast: 3 Wins.

Conclusion: First off, the comparison Brisbane vs Collingwood is absurd. If you want to compare Collingwoods first half of the year (prior to injuries) against any other team in the comp, youll see we were elite, in the top 4 and you would get an even more skewed outcome. We boast beating 3 of the final 4 teams by significant margins. The difference between Pretenders vs Potential is the ability to take scalps, Brisbane just haven't proved able to do that. The difference between Contenders vs Potential, is being able to replicate it week in week out, which is where we fell short (for a variety of reasons which i wont go into). Beams is kidding himself, Collingwood, although not at full strength, is still in a different league to Brisbane. It discredits his opinion. Havent heard St Kilda, GWS or Melbourne players stating they are closer to winning a flag than fringe Top 8 teams.

So Beams has come out and said that the Lions are closer to a premiership than we are.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-24/lions-window-is-open-beams

I reckon this is a load of bullsh**. Yeah, they have a young list as well but it's full of midfielders and they are without a power forward.

What dyou guys think? (take off the bias hat)

Also, this is my first thread, so hopefully i've done this correctly.

What else is the poor guy gonna say ?

I don't think there is much in the story as it wasn't much of an option for Beams to say anything different.

However, i would think we are still ahead as we have KPPs whereas brisbane don't yet.

Their midfield is good though.

I just think it is easier to build a midfield than kpps

No feeling between the clubs.

Let's list our rivals shall we;

1. Carlton/Essendon (99% of our fans say either)
2. Carlton/Essendon (whichever you hate the least)
3. Melbourne (goes back to the 50's)
4. Hawthorn (just because they beat us every damn time)
5. Port Adelaide (all that jumper bullshit)
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda (like Geelong the finals clashes of recent years were epic)
8. Richmond
9. North Melbourne (they hate out guts, we don't like them)
10. Western bulldogs (their supported despise us like no other, so we can't like them)
11. Sydney (COLA)

Maybe then, after 11 clubs do we come to the Lions, a club that no one particularly likes or dislikes, or even cares about. In fact you could even add GWS and Suns above the Lions simply because they will be pushing for flags soon, and everyone will hate them for all the assistance they get.

Brisbane isn't even on the radar, this Beams thing means very little, sorry. As far as big games goes its about as big as our round 1 clash vs Freo, which wasn't that big at all.

Anything under 50k is a small game to us, really.

I'd like to think the battles that took places in the early 2000s were very much looked forward to by both clubs and did attract quite a lot of interest. Hey mate if it meant so little to you as you claim you wouldn't have put so much effort into rebutting that one apparently insignificant point. And hell all the Collingwood Fans that rock up to the Gabba everytime you play here seem to care a hell of a lot.

Another thread enticing the Lions supporters to come on down and pretend they are relevant.

There is no rivalry and I hope not one Collingwood supporter makes their way to the Gabba round one to gift you a single dollar from our attendance.

Resume minnow status elsewhere.

I'd like to think the battles that took places in the early 2000s were very much looked forward to by both clubs and did attract quite a lot of interest. Hey mate if it meant so little to you as you claim you wouldn't have put so much effort into rebutting that one apparently insignificant point. And hell all the Collingwood Fans that rock up to the Gabba everytime you play here seem to care a hell of a lot.
Those grandfinals were over 10 years ago... But I don't agree with his rankings, brisbane probably rank higher than north and dogs due to the grandfinals and now beams. Maybe higher than Melbourne also.
1. Carlton
2. Essendon
3. Hawthorn
4. Richmond
5. Geelong
6. Sydney
7. Saints
8. Port
9.brisbane

We know for other teams we will always rank high in their rivalry/hatred ladder, but we can't rank every team high !!

I can't really see Brisbane ever cracking the top 5 in that list, even if we beat your mob in a grandfinal in the near future.

I love you guys always so passionate about your club it's awesome. But seriously round 1 is gonna be awesome. Packed Gabba and with Dayne coming o brisbane there should be some feeling between the clubs again. Hope we can get this rivalry relit and look forward to some cracker games as both our teams inevitably rise up the ladder!!!!

Guess we won't see you much in here after this

No feeling between the clubs.

Let's list our rivals shall we;

1. Carlton/Essendon (99% of our fans say either)
2. Carlton/Essendon (whichever you hate the least)
3. Melbourne (goes back to the 50's)
4. Hawthorn (just because they beat us every damn time)
5. Port Adelaide (all that jumper bullshit)
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda (like Geelong the finals clashes of recent years were epic)
8. Richmond
9. North Melbourne (they hate out guts, we don't like them)
10. Western bulldogs (their supported despise us like no other, so we can't like them)
11. Sydney (COLA)

Maybe then, after 11 clubs do we come to the Lions, a club that no one particularly likes or dislikes, or even cares about. In fact you could even add GWS and Suns above the Lions simply because they will be pushing for flags soon, and everyone will hate them for all the assistance they get.

Brisbane isn't even on the radar, this Beams thing means very little, sorry. As far as big games goes its about as big as our round 1 clash vs Freo, which wasn't that big at all.

Anything under 50k is a small game to us, really.

Some Fans still hate the Lions from 02 and 03 Grand Finals.

Also John Greening Incident for the Aints

I rebutted it because you Lion fans seem to think we have some rivalry going here, we don't.

And as for the amount of fans at the Gabba, we could travel to Moscow for an away game and have as many fans as we get in Brisbane. We get plenty more when we travel west, be it to SA or WA, or of course Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing beams talk during his media chat ive never seen him talk so much.He spoke more in 5 minutes than what he did during his whole time at collingwood.He reminded of the gimp in pulp fiction during his time at collingwood.Maybe Heath Shaw could go fo zed too. tumblr_lc30jvzzBK1qe0eclo1_500.gif

Rockliff, Beams, Hanley, Redden & the ruck stocks are good & younger while Collingwood's mids are still good but fading. But Collingwoods forwards & defenders are better & structured better so that would take the cake.

Verdict - neither team will win one any time soon

Some Fans still hate the Lions from 02 and 03 Grand Finals.

Also John Greening Incident for the Aints

I don't hate the Saints because Jimmy O'Dea was a thug? All teams had their thugs back then but O'Dea should have been suspended for life for what he did. Imagine hobbling Nate Fyffe today with a king hit behind the play....what would you expect he'd get today?

As others have noted, I dont think Brissy has the right senior coach for the job. His use of social media during the Beams/trade period was disturbing, to say the least. Surely a coach should show better judgement, and be a role model and mentor to the players? Bizarre.

Rockliff, Beams, Hanley, Redden & the ruck stocks are good & younger while Collingwood's mids are still good but fading. But Collingwoods forwards & defenders are better & structured better so that would take the cake.

Verdict - neither team will win one any time soon
Ooh but let me gues doggies will?
Brisbane, pies and doggies will all rise together. Yes Collingwood. We have just as many top 20 draft picks recently as you who look promising. Just because we haven't fully bottomed out doesn't dismiss the fact we've traded heavily for picks... Plus we have a superior middle age core to both teams. It's whether we can snag a flag off of Gold Coast and GWS which remains to be seen.

Facts are its a person who clearly wanted out, using the dying dad as an excuse is gutter stuff, live with that you drugo piss head....yeah you know why!

Why would you even Kid by Saying your Dad is Dying.

That is Disgusting what you Posted

I don't hate the Saints because Jimmy O'Dea was a thug? All teams had their thugs back then but O'Dea should have been suspended for life for what he did. Imagine hobbling Nate Fyffe today with a king hit behind the play....what would you expect he'd get today?

O'Dea should of gone to Jail you mean for Assult,. It was a Coward Punch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back