List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love your passion Joffa!!

From what I've seen (not much) more read and listened, there is not much between the two kids - they both have their pros and they both have their cons. If that is the case then don't other factors play a part in the decision? Much easier to recruit a giant and get a free agency mid then the other way around. That has to be considered. We are a poor club financially - that also has to be considered (not a major factor but has to be considered).

The Bulldogs over reached with Boyd re salary and will pay for that (no pun intended) down the track. It's a very risky move by them and I think it will blow up in their face as it will force other talented youngsters out. Franklin was simply a ridiculous amount of money and they used COLA to do it. We've already seen players being pushed out in Sydney and will continue to do so.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you posted.

Really my post was a talking point. Think it is just a justification for taking Paddy over CP.

But these guys have a tough decision to make and whatever they do will be wrong.

better to be in Melbournes position and take whatever is left.

They take 2&3 and are classed as geniuses even though they didn't have to choose.

joop Joffaboy this the article and comment in question..

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/st-kildas-toughest-call

Richardson said a club in St Kilda's position could not ignore the magnitude of the Franklin and Boyd deals.

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club.

"We’re going to get a fantastic footballer into our organisation either way. It is a tough one.”
Where this theory falls down is the fact that although we drafted Riewoldt, we still had to pay him 1 mil+ in his prime… he was in the top few earners in the comp. Drafting someone doesn't mean they'll play for half their market value… if McCartin becomes Roughhead we'll need to find 1 mil per year to keep him.

While Nick is one of the greats of all time and has earnt his huge wage, when the chips were down he could only manage 3 goals across 3 grand finals. Cam Mooney kicked 7 in 2 grand finals thanks to a ridiculous dominant midfield.

McCartin may become a fine player, but I still think we are outsmarting ourselves by knowingly not taking the best player and choosing a player on position instead. Hope I'm wrong.

This whole midfields win flags not forwards thing really shits me because people acts like this is our only chance to recruit an elite mid.

Picking McCartin over Petracca doesn't stop us loading up on top end mids next year and the year after and probably dramatically increases our chances of getting one via FA.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you posted.

Really my post was a talking point. Think it is just a justification for taking Paddy over CP.

But these guys have a tough decision to make and whatever they do will be wrong.

better to be in Melbournes position and take whatever is left.

They take 2&3 and are classed as geniuses even though they didn't have to choose.

I know it sucks! You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

However if Jack Steven does leave next year and we finish bottom 2 which I think we will, then we will be in a similar position to Melbourne next year. I hope not. And if we do get a priority pick I think it will be end of first round rather than after our first pick.....but that is a long way away...

This whole midfields win flags not forwards thing really shits me because people acts like this is our only chance to recruit an elite mid.

Picking McCartin over Petracca doesn't stop us loading up on top end mids next year and the year after and probably dramatically increases our chances of getting one via FA.
Oh FFS, stop talking sense!

What gets me is people carrying on about Petracca being a "once in a generation" player. However there is a school of thought that Brayshaw is just as good. Others suggest Heeney (Swans Academy pick) is even better. And other people suggest there's mids in next year's Draft who will be even better still. That doesn't suggest CP is a once in a generation player (unless of course they are extremely short generations :cool:)

Like you say, this is not a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a great mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might draft 3 mids at 21,22 & 41 that end up being outstanding AFL players. Then another couple next year & a FA mid in 2016. And then Brett Voss' lad who is reportedly the most talented 13 year old in the country at present as a F/S!

I know we're all impatient to have another crack at the holy grail but we're in year 2 of a total rebuild. Supporters need to be patient, hand over their cash for a membership & enjoy watching the new generation build something special.

First poster alert: love the list management strategy of the saints taking paddy first. Basically will mean we have a cracking bloke at the club who everyone will get around for the next decade aka Tex and can save our money on the open market and clean up with WHE or Shiel who are better than Tracca anyway. AND we can focus purely on mids at next years draft as opposed to potentially freaking out and doing something stupid for a key forward.

From everything I've read and seen, Paddy is an absolute legend of a bloke and player. Get around him gents, he's going to be fun to watch for the next 15 years!

What gets me is people carrying on about Petracca being a "once in a generation" player.
I haven't actually heard or read this said much to be honest.

Our coach has just come out and said that we are going to overlook the best player in the draft, because a key forward will cost too much to bring in via FA.

It's a gamble, and I'm fine with taking a calculated risk… but if it doesn't work out we won't be able to claim that nobody could have predicted CP becoming one of the best in the comp.

First poster alert: love the list management strategy of the saints taking paddy first. Basically will mean we have a cracking bloke at the club who everyone will get around for the next decade aka Tex and can save our money on the open market and clean up with WHE or Shiel who are better than Tracca anyway. AND we can focus purely on mids at next years draft as opposed to potentially freaking out and doing something stupid for a key forward.

From everything I've read and seen, Paddy is an absolute legend of a bloke and player. Get around him gents, he's going to be fun to watch for the next 15 years!

Welcome aboard!

It's going to be a fun ride over the coming years watching the list come together for another crack at the elusive 2nd premiership!!

Hi paddy and welcome to the club

I haven't actually heard or read this said much to be honest.

Our coach has just come out and said that we are going to overlook the best player in the draft, because a key forward will cost too much to bring in via FA.

It's a gamble, and I'm fine with taking a calculated risk… but if it doesn't work out we won't be able to claim that nobody could have predicted CP becoming one of the best in the comp.
It's not so much the coach or any club official calling CP a "once in a generation" player but rather the "burn our membership brigade" on the various footy forums :rolleyes:

Welcome.

I climbed on board Monday night :)

2b748ecf16ccc0fbdef70714607faba1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back