Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well I'm pretty bored and not going outside for a few more hours so I figure I'll waste some time.

Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Templeton and Weller. Where do we rate each one of these draftees and who do you guys think are most like and least likely to succeed? Also, how would you rate our drafting/trading this year in comparison to others? I can't remember us having a better off season in recent history, although the real proof will take a few years to jusdge.

Well I'm pretty bored and not going outside for a few more hours so I figure I'll waste some time.

Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Templeton and Weller. Where do we rate each one of these draftees and who do you guys think are most like and least likely to succeed? Also, how would you rate our drafting/trading this year in comparison to others? I can't remember us having a better off season in recent history, although the real proof will take a few years to jusdge.

Agree it's too hot to go outside and the work is done for today.
Best year since Ball, Clarke, Dal, Monty etc. Some class kids all round. FWIW i think the first 3 will all make it. Even looking at them on the vid from training makes me bullish about their prospects. Templeton can play too but a harder route than the seniors for sure. Weller has had the kick up the pants he needed and have no doubt he will put everything into becoming a team player and turn it around. Combine these with Savage, Bruce and Delaney and we're well along the track for the rebuild.
The bottom six are way better than 2 years ago that's for sure.
I have no issue taking players from other clubs that are on their way up but starved of opportunities but pleeeaassseee no more list cloggers.
Onward and upward.

The guy was sixteen, turning seventeen last year, so he was still literally a kid so he would have had (and still will have) plenty of maturing to do. He won't be 18 until mid next year, so he perhaps we shouldn't judge his character before then. I met his Dad a few weeks back and he was a genuinely good bloke. A few guys I know said that Tom is okay too, so I really hope we don't be too harsh on him at this early stage.
Well I wouldn't have thought any one of us were in any position to be judging anyone, as none of us are perfect ourselves, but I'd also prefer everyone to just call it as they see it and tell us what they believe to be true (as this is a forum for honest discussion) rather than trying to sugar-coat things, or hold anything they know back, just because some struggle to handle it when anyone says anything about anyone else that is less than complimentary, even if it's true.

And I can tell you right now the clubs won't be sugar-coating anything and blowing sunshine up anyone's ass (when discussing them) if they don't like their character, demeanor, or attitude, as we all know how much scrutiny clubs and anyone involved in them are under these days and how little latitude there is for anyone stepping out of line, or being a disruption to a group.

So "young" (what Bernard Tomic keeps on telling everyone he is, for instance, as if to excuse all his crap) or not, anyone that hopes to be drafted is going to need to show everyone that are going to be able to fit in to a highly professional, structured environment, whether they, or anyone on here, likes it or not, I would have thought.

Good luck to him and everyone else hoping to be drafted.

I'm most excited about Dunstan, personally, with Weller not far behind. I'm a big fan of hardnosed inside players, and reckon both will go great at that.

Well I wouldn't have thought any one of us were in any position to be judging anyone, as none of us are perfect ourselves, but I'd also prefer everyone to just call it as they see it and tell us what they believe to be true (as this is a forum for honest discussion) rather than trying to sugar-coat things, or hold anything they know back, just because some struggle to handle it when anyone says anything about anyone else that is less than complimentary, even if it's true.

And I can tell you right now the clubs won't be sugar-coating anything and blowing sunshine up anyone's ass (when discussing them) if they don't like their character, demeanor, or attitude, as we all know how much scrutiny clubs and anyone involved in them are under these days and how little latitude there is for anyone stepping out of line, or being a disruption to a group.

So "young" (what Bernard Tomic keeps on telling everyone he is, for instance, as if to excuse all his crap) or not, anyone that hopes to be drafted is going to need to show everyone that are going to be able to fit in to a highly professional, structured environment, whether they, or anyone on here, likes it or not, I would have thought.

Good luck to him and everyone else hoping to be drafted.
That is such a gold post. I can't believe you kept a straight face as you did that. To continue in the same vein...

... I just want to see them all give 100%, and not hold anything back. So long as they play for the jumper, and do their role in the team, I'll be happy.

So best wishes for every one of them, and may the best team win... and may that be us... er...

it will be a tough call on who gets dropped at the end of the year

Might be dictated by injuries, not gonna names but a few young guys have shown to be more injury prone. Also, lenny will likely retire, maybe Fisher too. Guys like TDL, Maister and Milera would want to have a decent year as they don't have the same excuse young guys do, they need to perform.

I think the list changes at the end of this season should be relatively straight forward.
GONE: Jones, Hayes
NEED A BIG YEAR: Dennis-Lane, Schneider, Milera (contracted for 2015), Maister, Dunell, Shenton, Minchington.
TRADE BAIT: Gilbert, Armitage, Fisher, Gwilt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clint Jones plays 20 games this year it means the development of Ross, Billings, Curren, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Dunstan and Acres etc is being negatively affected. The club will not let that happen. Jones performed a job from '08-'10 but his time is well and truly up.

I think the list changes at the end of this season should be relatively straight forward.
GONE: Jones, Hayes
NEED A BIG YEAR: Dennis-Lane, Schneider, Milera (contracted for 2015), Maister, Dunell, Shenton, Minchington.
TRADE BAIT: Gilbert, Armitage, Fisher, Gwilt.

For me, that's a no unless it's an amazingly favourable trade for us. Both are a-grade players and are 25 & 27, an age bracket we are already lacking in now we have traded McEvoy. I would consider trading one of Gilbert or Armitage to Brisbane or GC if they were to offer us a gun eg. Armitage/Gilbert for Swallow/Prestia and a pick. I don't think we can afford to trade our mid to late 20 year old gun players, we need to keep some.

If Clint Jones plays 20 games this year it means the development of Ross, Billings, Curren, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Dunstan and Acres etc is being negatively affected. The club will not let that happen. Jones performed a job from '08-'10 but his time is well and truly up.
I'm not saying he will or should, but my point is, we don't know what he will do. There's a good chance he'll play round one and from there, who knows. There is a good chance he will be gone at years end but it's not locked in at all right now. He's right in the needs a big year category.

For me, that's a no unless it's an amazingly favourable trade for us. Both are a-grade players and are 25 & 27, an age bracket we are already lacking in now we have traded McEvoy. I would consider trading one of Gilbert or Armitage to Brisbane or GC if they were to offer us a gun eg. Armitage/Gilbert for Swallow/Prestia and a pick. I don't think we can afford to trade our mid to late 20 year old gun players, we need to keep some.

Say we come 16th again this year and have pick 3 and GWS/Melb have pick 2. Would you take pick 2 for both Armitage and Gilbert?

I'm undecided about whether Gilbo and Armo should be used as trade bait, but I find it an interesting proposition.

Say we come 16th again this year and have pick 3 and GWS/Melb have pick 2. Would you take pick 2 for both Armitage and Gilbert?

I'm undecided about whether Gilbo and Armo should be used as trade bait, but I find it an interesting proposition.

No if the trade was strictly Armo + Gilbert for pick 2 then it's a definite no; 2 guys who have played a combined 200+ games for the saints, are in their prime (Gilbert had injuries this year but when he came back I think he reminded a few people how good he is) and at the end of the day even if it was pick 1 it's still just one 18 year old kid with potential. These are 2 established guys who can play really well, imagine if we got Jack Watts 2.0? Not to mention the hole it leaves between the younger guys (>22 ) and the older guys (25+). That's just my opinion anyway, I think the risk outweighs the reward in that situation. That said, that pick could end up being the next Nick Riewoldt.

I know I would take that pick and run, Gilbert and Armitage are great players for St Kilda but their value is slowly decreasing. If we could get 1st rounders for either (preferably a higher 1st for Armo) I would happily accept and look to the draft. Depreciating assets must be moved on while they still hold some value.

I know I would take that pick and run, Gilbert and Armitage are great players for St Kilda but their value is slowly decreasing. If we could get 1st rounders for either (preferably a higher 1st for Armo) I would happily accept and look to the draft. Depreciating assets must be moved on while they still hold some value.
Yeah, unless they both have incredibly good seasons, if we were offered pick 2 for Gilbo and Armo we would take it, run and have a party to celebrate, especially this year, with the top 3 potentially all "gun talls".

Alternatively, if we happen to have a better season that we are expecting, we may look at say offering our first pick (pick 6, for argument's sake) and someone like Armo, for say pick 2 and a later pick.

They're not A-grade or gun players. If they were, we'd have done a lot better last year (especially before Gilbert was injured).

Gilbert was an extremely useful and versatile player, he's a 7/10 across about 4 positions. He'll have good and bad weeks, but he's not a 10/10 in any of those positions really in any given week. He is now working his way back to being regarded as the above - by 2014 season it will be nearly three years since you could describe him as being useful in many positions. He is a player I like very much, so I hope he makes it back to the high level he can, but that's just hope it's nothing concrete.

Armitage shows flashes of incredible ability, then goes MIA. Frustratingly inconsistent. In 10 minute bursts he is capable of looking like a gun, but having to wait another 3 weeks for the next burst means he's not A-grade. His promise looks like never being fulfilled. Perhaps his being at the Saints is part of the problem, and he would flourish more elsewhere (I am hoping he is one who benefits greatly from coach change). It does however provide enough that he has value for a few potential trade partners.

I hope Gilbert comes back and is that big fella who can play positions the opponent struggles to match with. And that Armitage pulls the finger out and becomes the team's go-to guy whilst Jack and Joey get the tags.
If they do, it's good for us either way. I'd rather we kept them, but it does mean better trade value.
If they don't, we'll surely move them along, and we might be lucky to get 1st rounders for them.

I did an under 25 team (have included Armo and Delaney in the team, are they 26?). I think it doesn't lack for anything except maybe another quality key position player. Depends what Rhys Stanely develops into, but even if, one more would be handy. Obviously not for playing, just to give an idea of what the team would look like in 2016 say.

Billings Lee Minchington

Stanley White Dunstan

Newnes Armo Acres

Roberton Bruce Wright

Murdoch Delaney Geary

R Longer Steven Curren

INT Saunders Markworth Webster Ross

Extras Sipposs, Hickey, Weller, Templeton, Milera, picks from 2014/15 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back