Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Foster is a KPF, leading goal kicker in TAC so plenty upside

He is a funny one Foster. Older aged player, but performed well in patches. Given his fathers history, and the position he played - you would have thought the Dogs would be interested.

Do we know something you dont, or do you guys know something we dont ??? Only time will tell, but there are a number of Doggies fans asking WTF ? - with regards to letting him just disappear....

In terms of Carlton, it's way to early to tell if we are winners or losers

Boekhorst, maybe not considered first rounder but we see it all the time where players are overlooked and really do establish themselves in their first year plus mature age

DVR, think here is where Blues plan to develop young talent, don't see too much senior game time but definately some promise

Clem Smith, compared to the great 'Bryon Pickett' whom I loved watching play, only knock is Bryon played in the final brutal football era, that game style has been abolished so adjusting to do but still love hard nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Foster, taken late. Maybe endurance issues but leading goal kicker def plenty to work with

Overall Grade - A

He is a funny one Foster. Older aged player, but performed well in patches. Given his fathers history, and the position he played - you would have thought the Dogs would be interested.

Do we know something you dont, or do you guys know something we dont ??? Only time will tell, but there are a number of Doggies fans asking WTF ? - with regards to letting him just disappear....

Honestly think Blues went into draft not expecting pick him up, same with Tigers and Reece McKenzie, maybe even Harry Dear (another potential f/s for Hawks, but passed)

were taken very late and this late recruiters might think some chance for a development project as if it works, we are genius' and not then we only invested 4th round pick anyway

Lots of these big forwards have big endurance issues and speed issues IMO, all compared to Travis Cloke minus endurance factor

Think the Key ForwRds which really taken serious are ones taken top10 as lead perfectly, take marks, kick goals and most importantly elite endurance

As much s**t as everyone gives Carlton for boekhurst he'll be a good get. The issue isn't the player it was the pick used. Shouldn't have been a first rounder

Hard to say, felt Rogers got impression that BB would last til28, maybe got sucked in, seems like it but never know what other recruiters planning but most importantly hoping

Honestly think Blues went into draft not expecting pick him up, same with Tigers and Reece McKenzie, maybe even Harry Dear (another potential f/s for Hawks, but passed)

were taken very late and this late recruiters might think some chance for a development project as if it works, we are genius' and not then we only invested 4th round pick anyway

Lots of these big forwards have big endurance issues and speed issues IMO, all compared to Travis Cloke minus endurance factor

Think the Key ForwRds which really taken serious are ones taken top10 as lead perfectly, take marks, kick goals and most importantly elite endurance

Fair comments. Would be interesting to know if the Dogs planned to pick him up as a rookie pick.... I'm surprised we didn't take McKenzie actually....

As much s**t as everyone gives Carlton for boekhurst he'll be a good get. The issue isn't the player it was the pick used. Shouldn't have been a first rounder
Were they saying the same things about issac smith a couple of years ago or was he always going to be a first rounder?

We've had a similar discussion on the Dogs board about some of our selections.... And the fact we have drafted no KPP's again....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't you get Boyd?

Traded - at some cost - not drafted. We've essentially swapped Jones on our list for Boyd - which I'm fine about. But what if Boyd gets injured or needs a break ? We lack depth (IMO) in our KPP stocks at both ends of the ground.

Traded - at some cost - not drafted. We've essentially swapped Jones on our list for Boyd - which I'm fine about. But what if Boyd gets injured or needs a break ? We lack depth (IMO) in our KPP stocks at both ends of the ground.

Meh plenty of time to get another couple. If you start winning you might attract a free agent or more trades

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" in the words of a player manager who generally is a pretty good judge.
Funnily, I wonder what the judges think of his potential as a backman - his dad was a mediocre late developing forward who became the lynchpin of our defence for the better part of a decade.
I still wont forgive Paul Deer for breaking Fossie's leg.

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" in the words of a player manager who generally is a pretty good judge.
Funnily, I wonder what the judges think of his potential as a backman - his dad was a mediocre late developing forward who became the lynchpin of our defence for the better part of a decade.
I still wont forgive Paul Deer for breaking Fossie's leg.

Foster Snr was a fantastic defender... Still remember him shaking the goal umpires hand after he (the ump) had incorrectly given Foster a goal when a long range shot missed. Agree on Dear...

Meh plenty of time to get another couple. If you start winning you might attract a free agent or more trades

True, but the kids take longer to develop as KPP's - always like to have a couple spare in development mode on the list....

Boekhorst, maybe not considered first rounder but we see it all the time where players are overlooked and really do establish themselves in their first year plus mature age

I love reading Colin Wisbey, but don't get to see his stuff anymore, but interestingly enough he rated Boekhorst at 13 in his pre-draft top 30 rankings.

Wisbey can be hit or miss, but I always found him compelling reading.

I love reading Colin Wisbey, but don't get to see his stuff anymore, but interestingly enough he rated Boekhorst at 13 in his pre-draft top 30 rankings.

Wisbey can be hit or miss, but I always found him compelling reading.

Reason might be risky as first rounders I see as players you want build a team around

Eg. - Demons you can build around Petracca & Brayshaw
- Saints can build around Dunstan & McCartin
- pies can build a solid squad around Freeman, De Goey, Moore & Scharenberg when returns
- Bulldogs can build around McRea, Bontempelli, Stringer & Boyd

But can Blues build around Cripps and Boekhorst? That's the question and one I have trouble answering myself. I like Cripps but has abit of work but confident will be regular and decent player for us

Bombers at least gave themselves chance with late first rounds with Langford and Laverde

Last edited:
Reason might be risky as first rounders I see as players you want build a team around

- pies can build a solid squad around Freeman, De Goey, Moore & Scharenberg when returns

But can Blues build around Cripps and Boekhorst? That's the question and one I have trouble answering myself. I like Cripps but has abit of work but confident will be regular and decent player for us

Bombers at least gave themselves chance with late first rounds with Langford and Laverde

They probably wanted to balance out their list a little bit, so they get a mix of youth and maturity with Boekhorst. But they also may have considered him best available.

From an outsiders perspective I'd say Carlton haven't given up building around Gibbs, Murphy and Henderson.

From an outsiders perspective I'd say Carlton haven't given up building around Gibbs, Murphy and Henderson.

I love Murph and Gibbs, Gibbo very unlucky not to be all australian as love his kicking and skill work. Hendo best is good but worst is bad so can either end up being 'wowed' or shaking my head.

Blues can't rely on building around Murph and Gibbs anymore. Back in 2009-2011 would of said yea but since then they have been on a stale mate, haven't taken that next step to elite level, Gibbs close to it but not their yet. We need accept were we are and keep building

They probably wanted to balance out their list a little bit, so they get a mix of youth and maturity with Boekhorst. But they also may have considered him best available.

Rogers addressed outside run issues so reasoning in BB decision

I love Murph and Gibbs, Gibbo very unlucky not to be all australian as love his kicking and skill work. Hendo best is good but worst is bad so can either end up being 'wowed' or shaking my head.

Blues can't rely on building around Murph and Gibbs anymore. Back in 2009-2011 would of said yea but since then they have been on a stale mate, haven't taken that next step to elite level, Gibbs close to it but not their yet. We need accept were we are and keep building

I'm not saying that those three are superstars but they are the linchpins for Carlton going forward and any meaningful foray into the finals in the next 4-5 years will be on the back those players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back