Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

9as7vqt.jpg

Go on now

I'm not going to go into another blurb on what is "grunge", where it started etc, because I've been through it before on here. Needless to say the most influential people in that early Seattle music scene openly took a lot of their influences from what had been coming out of Australia in the 1980's, among other things.
So, aside from that I'm going to point you towards a band that helped kick off that whole Seattle thing. Green River began in 1984 and featured Mark Arm and Steve Turner who both went on and did Mudhoney, and Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament who went on to be founding members of Pearl Jam.

This. This is why I wanted you to. I recall you saying things about origins of grunge coming out of Australia which was super cool info and I'd forgotten any detail about it.

It's getting late though and I'm too tired to.......

But it should be noted that while Pearl Jam (to me anyway) came across as a sort of stadium rock band riding on the coattails of the whole Seattle thing, the core guys in the band actually did have some serious pedigree.

This. This is why I wanted you to. I recall you saying things about origins of grunge coming out of Australia which was super cool info and I'd forgotten any detail about it.

Finny is like Glenn A Baker, only not a fat, bearded douche. Should write a book.

Seriously though what's so original in grunge that wasn't touched upon by 60's garage bands all over the world not to mention the influence of 70's punk.

Seriously though what's so original in grunge that wasn't touched upon by 60's garage bands all over the world not to mention the influence of 70's punk.

There wasn't anything particularly original about it at all. That's the whole point. Bands like Mudhoney would openly rip off bands like Blue Cheer and 60's punk bands, albeit with their own twist.
Bands like Soundgarden were just ripping off Led Zeppelin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There wasn't anything particularly original about it at all. That's the whole point. Bands like Mudhoney would openly rip off bands like Blue Cheer and 60's punk bands, albeit with their own twist.
I'm only just sort of starting off my digging into the early 60's bands etc. there are so many garage rock/proto punkish sort of songs.. i'll continue my research... even the odd Link Wray song has that sort of vibe he started in 50's

I'm only just sort of starting off my digging into the early 60's bands etc. there are so many garage rock/proto punkish sort of songs.. i'll continue my research... even the odd Link Wray song has that sort of vibe he started in 50's

'Pebbles' and 'Back From The Grave' compilations are the best starting points. There's tonnes of volumes but I'm not sure how easy they are to find these days. Type Pebbles into a youtube search and there's a fair bit of stuff on there. Maybe throw in a key word such as "freakbeat" or "60's Punk" so that you don't end up with Flintstones clips or something.

Bands like AC/DC were creating 3 chord rock n roll from Little Richie standards!

'Pebbles' and 'Back From The Grave' compilations are the best starting points. There's tonnes of volumes but I'm not sure how easy they are to find these days. Type Pebbles into a youtube search and there's a fair bit of stuff on there. Maybe throw in a key word such as "freakbeat" or "60's Punk" so that you don't end up with Flintstones clips or something.
The song that first got me interested in 60's Garage/Punk

Load is my favourite Metallica album. No troll.

A really good hard rock album. I know Metallica fans are a bit narrow minded with their musical variety, but it is one of the finest 90s rock albums. Yes, rock isn't metal, shock and horror.

That whole 60's garage punk thing had a huge comeback in the 1980's, particularly in the US and Australia. The Paisley Underground as it was sort of known. And of all those bands the most authentic sounding was a band from Geelong called the Bo-Weevils, who unlike other bands of the time didn't dress 60's, but used all authentic instruments from the era to get that pure 60's sound.

And all songwriting artists steal from somebody else. The bloke Led Zep stole Whole Lotta Love from stole it from someone else too
They stole from contemporaries as well man, no damn excuse for not crediting ppl, they forked out a fortune to this guy recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back