Opinion How do we beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks have been incredible the last few weeks, but form will ebb and flow. Collingwood took it right up to them a few weeks ago. They're a great side, but "if it bleeds, we can kill it"!!!
This. 4 teams have beaten the Hawks this year. They are in imperious form, but they are not as unstoppable as people think.

Form is just another kind of cognitive bias.

We don't , They are the masters of getting easy goals while other teams fight and fight for there's !! Should be a good game to watch tho

It will be an interesting game. We will have to have the guys sticking to the game plan and constant pressure. It's going to be fantastic to see the two styles of play going head to head. Simpson has us playing well that's for sure. Every inside 50 has to count though in regards to kicking truly. Can't afford 20 behinds.

I think defensively they aren't brilliant. We wont will be able to stop them scoring but should be able to trouble their defense the other way. Could be a genuine shoot out.

We really need to see how we do against Sydney first before worrying about the Hawks anyway. If we cant beat them its not going to matter.

Stick to our gameplan, the boys have confidence in it and even under pressure they follow the mandate. That's what good footy teams do.

Kick goals and plenty of them. Defense won't beat the hawks as like us they have too much firepower up forward. A shoot out will be required.

Run, run and then run some more. The better two way runners in the game will get their team up.

Don't get suckered into playing fist-e-cuffs with them either, however if an enforcer is need then i'm looking at you Nic Nat.

I know Nic Nat is a good christian man and all that but if they are going to rag doll our players (and they will try) then he just needs to bury one or two of them into the ground with a few tackles to stop that s**t quick smart. It doesn't even have to be malicious, if you ask me NN holds a little back for fear of knocking out blokes on a weekly basis. Against Hawthorn i would have him go in hard.

Hawthorn are in top form but are still beatable.

In Simmo i trust.

Nah Gov will be back and him and Barrassi will double team them. :D

Actually think we have one of the better backlines to play on their forwards. Schofield on Roughead, Gov/Barrass on Hale/RR, Sheppard on Gunston, Wellingham on Breust, possibly Hurn on Puopolo. The main challenge will be the pressure they place on us to try and force turnovers - if we can maintain our reasonably good DE we should be able to at least kick a respectable score and prevent them from kicking a damning one.

Still would tip them by around 5 goals, let's see how we fare against Sydney and the Gary Coast Suns and then reevaluate.

Don't mind those matchups but Hurn would get burned for speed by Puopolo - he's the kind of player who tends to hurt us. Think maybe Wellingham would be a better fit.

One thing we definitely can't afford to do (which I've seen a few teams do this year) is let Hodge float around unattended off half-back - he sets up so much of their play. Simply have to have someone paying attention to him.

I think it is great we can have this conversation. Let's face it none of us thought we would be where we are so it is exciting.
Personally I don't think we can beat them yet, they are at the peak of their journey where as we are just starting ours. I have no doubt we can score against them but as opposed to many other sides this year they will hurt us when they break through our press.
I think it is exciting to be even talking about. Time will tell. Where there is life there is hope. Let's take care of Sydney first.
let me remind you Geelong cats at peak of their journey lost to hawks in 08, they were overwhelming favourates against developing hawks with hodge, Mitchell, buddy and rioli.. it can happen, its not luck its about personnel and a little luck and we have that personnel if we keep up this standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let me remind you Geelong cats at peak of their journey lost to hawks in 08, they were overwhelming favourates against developing hawks with hodge, Mitchell, buddy and rioli.. it can happen, its not luck its about personnel and a little luck and we have that personnel if we keep up this standard.
Bombers in 93, Hawks in 08. We're Next. They should be a trailer for our season..... Waters, E-Mac and Brown going down for the season. Who would have thought maybe only Nicnat : )

There is no denying in similarities of game styles between the two teams. you want to compare 1-1 all over the ground, hawks have our measure in the back ad in midfield easily. we have their measure in the ruck and i would say in forward its dead set 50-50. puopolo bruest and rioli versus hill cripps and lecras produce similar outcome stats wise. gunston and rough versus JK and JD. sort of even but in terms of class and experience still hawks. would be a great challenge and if we kick straight against them it will be a shoot out, best case scenario us by 16, but most likely hawks by 30-35 or if they decide to really make sure the entire footy world is behind them, it could be by 8 goals. lot of our boys need to play belter of a game and probably need few of hawks boys to have a bad night to win against this mob at this point of time. Nic nat needs to do some ridiculous stuff. anyway, lets focus on swan game, this is the important game we have been waiting for all season.

If we win tomorrow, we'll have beaten all the teams who did the Hawks in this year, they're not invincible. Anyway, this game will probably just be a meaningless warm-up for week 1 of the finals.

Utility Patrick McGinnity, who missed the past seven weeks with a broken wrist, was named East Perth's best in its 106-point win, finishing with 23 disposals (13 kicks, 10 handballs), four inside 50s and three goals.

The Hawks will have no answer.

Of course! Your post just made me realise how we beat them. This may be a long shot and the delivery method would need to be worked out, however if we can pull this off I think we may get across the line -

One word - Solanine

Our biggest problem is we don't have someone like a Troy Wilson on our list, we come up against the hawks and bang he's in the squad...lots of Hawks players too scared to go even close to the ball when he is in the vicinity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back