Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you mean "intent" to be racist, because what she said was clearly racist, but she may not have understood it was
Fair call BJ.
Without a word of a lie, until that incident I had never heard anyone referring to aboriginals as apes.
That's why I am so strong in my belief she is innocent.

Fair call BJ.
Without a word of a lie, until that incident I had never heard anyone referring to aboriginals as apes.
That's why I am so strong in my belief she is innocent.
No problem

The Ape association with Blacks is used widely in Asia (remember the Indian Cricket Team V Andrew Symonds) and was picked up in the US to denigrate African-Americans
I have no doubt the girl did not know that; she was just repeating what she had heard elsewhere, hence the reason Goodes talked about Educating her when the s**t storm broke. Regardless of that, what she said was clearly Racist, even though she didn't understand it was.

Foot Note: There is a reason the Law says a person 10 years old or younger cannot be held liable for their actions

I think what this country, AFL, media & Goodes needs to do is realise that this is and never was an issue about racism. This whole situation shouldn't even have ever been discussed and is actually so f**ked to the point that it will turn away many from the game. I wouldn't blame them.

Adam Goodes, being boo-ed for your actions isn't racism, having banana's thrown at you during a game is. Time this country takes a leaf from the book of political correctness.

Whatever your feelings may be on this subject, I think it would be a good idea that booing needs to stop.
Not a good look for the game, for the kids, and importantly, the booing affecting him on a personal level.

If you still feel a need to boo, there will always be an umpiring decision that you can boo.

One thing is for sure - I hate seeing our game being ripped apart like this.

It seems the handling of a number of high profile incidents by players, clubs, the AFL, governing bodies but more importantly the media has been appalling.

Whatever your feelings may be on this subject, I think it would be a good idea that booing needs to stop.
Not a good look for the game, for the kids, and importantly, the booing affecting him on a personal level.

If you still feel a need to boo, there will always be an umpiring decision that you can boo.
But why is one okay but the other isn't? If i'm going to boo Jobe Watson even though everyone in the media said not to, I will and I do. I won't stop either with Goodes just because everyone says it's racist because he's a different skin tone then myself. Isn't this reverse racism then?

Until the umpires start saying it's affecting them on a personal level.

You are wrong, it is a legal argument
I wouldn't dare to tell you your job so please.....
Clearly you can argue racism in a legal or a moral context. If you go down the legal pathway no just legal body could find her guilty if her defence could establish with certainty she had no knowledge of the racist content of her language and she had no intention to be racist. In that situation it would also be important for the legal body to acknowledge why the aggrieved party was offended and explain the context the term was used and reassure them in this instance no racial slur was intended.

Still in this thread I believe we are arguing much more from a moral standpoint. Again the same point stands. If someone says something without any intention to be racist and with no knowledge the term they used has a racist interpretation they are not being racist.

This does not in any way diminish that the racist term is a racist term.

But why is one okay but the other isn't? If i'm going to boo Jobe Watson even though everyone in the media said not to, I will and I do. I won't stop either with Goodes just because everyone says it's racist because he's a different skin tone then myself. Isn't this reverse racism then?
A light attempt at a joke at umpiring decisions, sorry if you took it seriously and ignored the more important point of booing a player that has publicly stated the affect on him and his family.
You want to boo? I am not stopping you.

A light attempt at a joke at umpiring decisions, sorry if you took it seriously and ignored the more important point of booing a player that has publicly stated the affect on him and his family.
You want to boo? I am not stopping you.
sorry, some jokes don't work over the internet :)

She was racist in the moment. To be 'unconsciously incompetent' still means you are incompetent. Knowing the consequences of her words now, if she was to repeat it I would think her just more culpable than previously.

The bottom line for me is that it is possible to dislike Goodes but believe strongly in the need to address the position that indigenous Australians find themselves. I have done so, both work wise and financially.

I have never booed anyone so it is easy for me in that regard. However, as fellow human beings, surely despite our thoughts on our 'entitlement to act' in a particular way, that 'right' is outweighed by the fact that those actions are hurting a fellow human.

The people that see a broken man and still argue for their rights to continue to break him come from a place that is more than dislike or based on a few behavioural issues they attribute to the person.
For the reasons I explained above she wasn't racist if we accept the lack of knowledge and intent. You have to allow in this situation the possibility of misinterpretation. Again doesn't change at all the fact that the term itself is racist.

When you do I hope everybody around you points the finger at you & heckles you out of the stadium. Then perhaps you may understand what the person on the end of those boos is feeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you another person telling us what we can and can't do? Boo to you!!

PS I might boo that black goal umpire because I think he's terrible at his job.... #RACIST

Think the point is now that Goodes has made it very clear he feels there is a racial element to the boo and that is how he sees it. No matter how much of it was racially motivated to begin with it is now clearly in the realms of racism. If you boo Goodes as a matter of course next game you see him in it clearly has racist implications.

If you are from an oppressed minority it is your interpretation that counts. If Goodes feels racially oppressed by it and we know that its racist to continue. Assuming you are a white male you have no place in interpteting what Adam Goodes should feel about these remarks.

When you do I hope everybody around you points the finger at you & heckles you out of the stadium. Then perhaps you may understand what the person on the end of those boos is feeling.
Haven't been to a game in just over 12 months because of this game going down hill because of little things, add ticket prices and what not.

Not missing much.

Think the point is now that Goodes has made it very clear he feels there is a racial element to the boo and that is how he sees it. No matter how much of it was racially motivated to begin with it is now clearly in the realms of racism. If you boo Goodes as a matter of course next game you see him in it clearly has racist implications.

If you are from an oppressed minority it is your interpretation that counts. If Goodes feels racially oppressed by it and we know that its racist to continue. Assuming you are a white male you have no place in interpteting what Adam Goodes should feel about these remarks.
I did a whole semester's worth of an assignment with my asian and darker skinned mate on racism. I can tell you now, i'm not racist. This whole topic is farcical.

Not nearly enough booing in this thread for me...

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PS I might boo that black goal umpire because I think he's terrible at his job.... #RACIST
Missing the point. Goodes has made it clear he feels the booing has a racial element to it. Thats what counts. If you continue to boo once you know that its racial. You can boo an umpire for a bad decision no matter the skin colour as long as its only about the goal decision.

Haven't been to a game in just over 12 months because of this game going down hill because of little things, add ticket prices and what not.

Not missing much.

Then I guess he wont hear your boos then will he?

I did a whole semester's worth of an assignment with my asian and darker skinned mate on racism. I can tell you now, i'm not racist. This whole topic is farcical.
Not accusing you of being racist. Just questioning your interpretation of the difference between booing Watson or Goodes in the two situations you have outlined

Reminds me of a time at high school where a number of us drew a picture of Casper on our Navy blazer and wrote 'Boo Club' underneath. Yard duty for a week, maybe that is why I am aversive to the word boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back