Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2400.jpg
This is a disgraceful cartoon and not helpful at all.....get rid of this.....I am not a supporter of Goodes as he has been divisive while we are trying to heal past wounds.....but this cartoon is not anything but crap.....we are all Australians

I don't like Adam Goodes yet I have never booed him.

However - If Adam has publicly stated that he feels racially vilified by this and if Adam has stated that this is upsetting him, affecting him emotionally and physically than it just has to stop. No if's, but's or maybe's - it just stops. Whether we, the club, the media or whoever assess it as racially motivating has nothing to do with where we need to be in helping Goodes overcome his perception on what this is.

For me it was wrong for the media to take hold of it and publicise it as racially motivated. It's very difficult for people to accept or even interpret their own actions as being conveyed as racial and just encourages further anger and hatred to the victim compounding his issues.

I would be livid if my kids came home from school telling me they had been bullied whether it was racially motivated or not and that it continued even after my kids and the teachers had asked the perpetrators to stop. I would walk into the school and demand that it stops at the first instance, and if not I would remove my kids from the source.

There's no question that this stops, it has to. And if you can't understand it from supporting the well being of another person than your issues are far more underlined than race.
Great post.
At this point any booing is automatically assumed racist and that's unfair.
If he came out and said I understand a very large majority of you are not being racist however, it is really affecting me and I would like it to stop.
You'd have to be a moron to ignore that plea.

Great post.
At this point any booing is automatically assumed racist and that's unfair.
If he came out and said I understand a very large majority of you are not being racist however, it is really affecting me and I would like it to stop.
You'd have to be a moron to ignore that plea.

But he's not doing this. He's continuing his plight to label us all racist.

It doesn't add any racial overtones whatsoever.
For me, I've lost any respect I had for him as a human.... Not as an indigenous Australian.

As I said... Travvy V is my favourite player.... I work with a very heavily biased Indian population who I harbour many friendships with.... I love (LOVE) my Clippers..... 90% of the roster is African American..... I respect people based on their actions and not the way they look. For me, Adam has destroyed his fantastic opportunity to help unite this country..... He destroyed it the night he made a 13 year old girl the face of racism.... A girl who had no ruddy clue what she was talking about.... He destroyed it some more when he cast a very wide net over the Australian population, labelling us as racist..... Telling us to stop celebrating "Invasion Day".

I am a very compassionate person to those who deserve compassion.... Adam Goodes is not one of them.
I can see some of where you are coming from and my arguments are to some degree more general than specifically concentrating on Goodes the man.

The racism argument is separate from whether you like someone as a person or respect them. If a comment is racist it is racist whether delivered to someone you admire or dont admire, like or dont like. You cant really pick and choose. I think this argument has been highjacked at times and some people are unfairly being labelled racist. But once Goodes says he feels some racial abuse in the booing that is occuring we need to repect that. It doesnt matter what you think of Goodes the man because racism goes beyond that.

The need or right to boo in this instance is overridden for mine once Goodes has felt racial abuse from the booing. It doesnt matter in this instance what you think of Goodes the person

Wow, this topic is making people tense here and on the radio.

Dermott Brereton and Rebecca Wilson just had a massive spat on SEN.

It's no surprise.

Like I said before, racism is a serious situation and thus the accusation of is serious too.

No one wants to be called a racist. It's a terrible thing to be and it's a terrible thing to accuse.

I can't believe people actually think the war dance was actually aggression from Goodes. He used indigenous round to do a traditional dance. I guess he should have looked up the "let's all be best friends" traditional dance and this whole thing could have been avoided.

I wish we could embrace aboriginal culture like new Zealand has with the Maori. It is an essential part of new Zealand culture. We kick up this kind of fuss when someone does something similar here.
The fact that he purposely ran 30 metres to a group of opposition supporters means it at looked aggressive and threatening.

Whether or not it was his intention doesn't change the fact it was ******* stupid.

And the fact that Lewis Jetta did the same thing towards a group of opposition booers in response to their booing and to support Adam Goodes means it is of an opposing nature.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do indigenous cultural expressions. Do it after every goal. Go for it! Just do it to your own ******* supporters if you want to claim it's peaceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's racially dividing the nation for his own agenda. If there are riots tomorrow because of this... I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the Australian of the year who had the opportunity to take the high road but instead, made it all about himself.

Inciting race wars? Riots? Rightio then.

In any case, if there were riots tomorrow about pretty much anything, I'd blame the rioters. You know, what with them doing the rioting and all.

Why are the AFL, the AFLPA, the Coaches, the Players, Academics, Politicians and 90% the Media all saying the same thing?
Yet a few anonymous punters on social media think they know better...really?

So if the AFL and the media tell me i'm racist, then I must be racist?
Is that what you're saying?

Inciting race wars? Riots? Rightio then.

In any case, if there were riots tomorrow about pretty much anything, I'd blame the rioters. You know, what with them doing the rioting and all.

Riots don't just happen.... They're fuelled events. In my mind, Goodes has done nothing but add fuel to a fire that he knows burns brightly already.

That's bullshit Anzy, sorry. If you're willing to cut the girl some slack you have to cut Goodes some slack too. And as I said earlier in this thread, Goodes was not so much angry at the girl as hurt that she might say that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-25/goodes-gutted-but-places-no-blame/4712772

"I've had fantastic support over the past 24 hours," Goodes said.

"I just hope that people give the 13 year old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.

"It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl.

"We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."

Goodes said that Victoria Police asked if he would like to press charges but he declined, reiterating that the girl needs to learn why her abuse was hurtful.

"It's not her fault, she's 13, she's still so innocent, I don't put any blame on her," he said.

"Unfortunately it's what she hears, in the environment she's grown up in that has made her think that it's OK to call people names."

"I guarantee she has no idea right now how it makes people feel to call them an ape."

And really, why is Goodes the bad man here? He'd have no idea at all about her age. He instinctively pointed it out and then protected her the next day.

Give the guy a break, like he gave her one.
Because one single action of Goodes that night meant that she needed support.

His public pointing WAS a witch hunt.

If it's not her fault, then why did he publicly humiliate her?

IF SHE HAD NO IDEA IF SHE WAS BEING RACIST WHY SAY SHE WAS THE FACE OF RACISM?

Look. If it was a spur of the moment mistake by Goodes, which is entirely possible because we are all human and make mistakes, then he should have come out and said so.

You cannot make those comments and not apologies. Because calling for support for this girl and saying it wasn't her fault means YOU MADE A ******* MISTAKE CALLING HER OUT.

If he truly believes these things, then a different approach was sooooo much more acceptable. And there were other avenues as seen and used by other players where no one got publicly shamed!

Unfortunately, the way Goodes handles things has ultimately led him to this.

If he discreetly reports the girl for racism. No one knows about his public shaming.

If he had done the war dance in front of Sydney supporters, no one would think it was meant to be threatening.

Btw capitals are 10% frustration and 90% emphasis

Last edited:
Because one single action of Goodes that night meant that she needed support.

His public pointing WAS a witch hunt.

If it's not her fault, then why did he publicly humiliate her?

IF SHE HAD NO IDEA IF SHE WAS BEING RACIST WHY SAY SHE WAS THE FACE OF RACISM?

Look. If it was a spur of the moment mistake by Goodes, which is entirely possible because we are all human and make mistakes, then he should have come out and said some.

You cannot make those comments and not apologies. Because calling for support for this girl and saying it wasn't her fault means YOU MADE A ******* MISTAKE CALLING HER OUT.

If he truly believes these things, then a different approach was sooooo much more acceptable. And there were other avenues as seen and used by other players where no one got publicly shamed!

Unfortunately, the way Goodes handles things has ultimately led him to this.

If he discreetly reports the girl for racism. No one knows about his public shaming.

If he had done the war dance in front of Sydney supporters, no one would think it was meant to be threatening.

And hence why we boo... Because he's a royal knob!!

NOT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK!!!

Booing is an act of showing displeasurefor someone or something, generally an entertainer, by loudly yelling boo! (and holding the "oo" sound) or making other noises of disparagement, such as hissing. People may make hand signs at the entertainer, such as the thumbs down sign. If spectators particularly dislike the performance they may also accompany booing by throwing objects (traditionally rotten fruit and vegetables) onstage, though the objects may not be meant to physically hurt the performer.

Booing performers has a very long history, The first written record comes from ancient Greece. At the annual Festival of Dionysia in Athens, playwrights competed to determine whose tragedy was the best. When the democratic reformer Cleisthenes came to power in the 6th century B.C., audience participation came to be regarded as a civic duty. The audience applauded to show its approval and shouted and whistled to show displeasure. In ancient Rome, jeering was common at the gladiatorial games, where audience participation often determined whether a competitor lived or died.

While people have expressed displeasure publicly since ancient times, the English word boo was first used in the early 19th century to describe the lowing sound that cattle make. Later in the 19th century, the word came to be used to describe the disapproving cry of crowds. Hoot, another onomatopoeic English word, was used as early as 1225 to describe the same phenomenon. (Ancient Greek and Latin both contain words resembling boo that mean "to cry or shout aloud," though there is no known etymological connection to the modern English word.) This practice has in recent times come under criticism. The opinion is often expressed that to boo a bad performance is unkind and demonstrates a lack of sophistication. However, the counterargument goes that the combination of booing and applause help keep the quality of public performance high, by emotionally rewarding the good and punishing the bad. Some baseball players who have been booed have stated that booing "spooked" or "bothered" them or their teammates, and that it "affected their performance". Another player stated concerning booing, "It hurts" and another stated, "It frustrates me when the crowd boos".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booing[/b]

Why are the AFL, the AFLPA, the Coaches, the Players, Academics, Politicians and 90% the Media all saying the same thing?
Yet a few anonymous punters on social media think they know better...really?

Hah!

So they can stand on their ******* moral high horse.

I don't care if you or they consider my opinion as an anonymous punter on social media inferior because they have a higher class of occupation.

I have a mind of my own. I can figure things out for myself without needing the politically correct foolery that exists to those with a reputation to protect.

People ask "why why why are people booing?"

WHO BETTER TO ANSER THAN THE ANONYMOUS PUNTERS ON SOCIAL MEDIA WHO ARE MOST LIKELY DOING THE BOOING?

P.S once again 10% frustration 90% emphasis

The best thing Adam Goodes could do would be to apologise for his Australia Day speech where he told us to remember who's land we are standing on...

Well is this not just as much my land as his ? Or is he more Australian than me?

If he apologised and stopped calling Australia Day Invasion day then we could get on with it.....

Australia day is a day for all of us including our Indigenous....all countries have been invaded......get over it.....300 years ago.....that was normal then.

Adam needs to apologise....

Its not bullying....its we are pissed off.....mad as hell....and we are sick to the teeth of being told what to think, say, how to behave and what is appropriate or not......no more !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back