2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie J is coming in to play depth and to coach, not to be a best 22 player for a year or two, I have no doubt about that. I'd also wager if he didn't want to be a coach we would struggle to consider him.

Strange that he was offered the sole captaincy in the first place given these flaws you've pointed out. As an outsider you'd just assume that he ticked all of the boxes or took it on under duress once Browny relinquished it?

When Adcock got the sole captaincy there wasn't much of a choice. Either him or Merrett (or a co-captaincy scenario)

Afternoon all,

Strange that he was offered the sole captaincy in the first place given these flaws you've pointed out. As an outsider you'd just assume that he ticked all of the boxes or took it on under duress once Browny relinquished it?

Rocky appears to be the exact opposite to Jed off-field and copped a fair amount of media criticism for it so perhaps with the year Adcock was in charge it may have been a component of someone not taking kindly to Rocky's captaincy style and speaking out?

I reckon he was given it because who else was going to pull it off? He was the most experienced player and a solid servant.

I think the media criticism is coming purely because there has been someone at the club (who strangely doesn't seem to be there now) providing their personal opinion on Rocky in bite-size pieces for VFL television chat shows.

According to plenty in the know about SJ and Adcock, Johnson offers more both onfield performance, onfield leadership and off-filed leadership.

Adcock may not get a game behand our younger players, but SJ would.
We'll see when Steve J and Adcock finish their careers. Will be interesting to see how good Steve J's leadership will be when he plays in a bottom 4 team with not much leadership and Adcock hopefully going to a top 8 team with a strong leadership culture. Either way we need experienced players.

Last edited:
Stevie J is coming in to play depth and to coach, not to be a best 22 player for a year or two, I have no doubt about that. I'd also wager if he didn't want to be a coach we would struggle to consider him.
I thought he's coming down to our club to go on all of the theme parks with Gary Ablett, since Gold Coast said no to him.

When Adcock got the sole captaincy there wasn't much of a choice. Either him or Merrett (or a co-captaincy scenario)

I reckon he was given it because who else was going to pull it off? He was the most experienced player and a solid servant.

I think the media criticism is coming purely because there has been someone at the club (who strangely doesn't seem to be there now) providing their personal opinion on Rocky in bite-size pieces for VFL television chat shows.

Or Joel Patfull but to be honest I wasn't entirely upset with Jed taking the top job on his own... seemed a decent fit.

And yes, there seems to be a lot less news coming from the Gabba that hasn't been broken by someone within the club lately. Having read through this entire thread over the past few months the Damien Barrett stuff being instantly refuted on Twitter, among other things, probably had him deleting contacts shortly after.

And for what it's worth I would have traded Adcock for Johnston in a heartbeat... effectively what we'd be doing if it went ahead isn't it? I'm sure a few hundred more Victorian members and bums on seats at the games would be worth the effort.

From memory, wasn't it voted on by the playing group? I think that might have been the only year we did it that way.

Hawthorn have inquired about Carlton's Chris Yarran.
- Herald Sun

Looks like Aish isn't going to Hawthorn.

Geez, Richmond are always the bridesmaid, aren't they? Don't think they've managed to land one of the trade targets they've been linked to in about 3 years.

If we end up in a position where we would be better off matching Leuie's FA offer does Suckling come back into the picture?
I think so but I reckon he will get enough money in Vic where he no doubt wants to remain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afternoon all,

Rocky appears to be the exact opposite to Jed off-field and copped a fair amount of media criticism for it so perhaps with the year Adcock was in charge it may have been a component of someone not taking kindly to Rocky's captaincy style and speaking out?

From memory, wasn't it voted on by the playing group? I think that might have been the only year we did it that way.

I recall Adcock getting voted in as well (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rown-steps-aside/story-fni5f4q3-1226808433513). The coaches asked Browny to stay on an extra year to co-captain, Browny was ready to step down (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...r-the-off-season/story-e6frf3e3-1226566401127). Adcock then served a year on his own, and was replaced by Rocky - again in a player vote (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...210695147?sv=30c1b69299dd2e6e0d793dc3fef596c6).

Last edited:
We won't even need a KPF.

Just have Green, Taylor, Zorko, Christiansen and Johnson in the forward 50.

The AFL has changed it's formula for Compensation Picks.

For a club to qualify for a First Round Draft Pick immediately after their first pick, the departing player must become one of the top 5% earners of players over the age of 25 in the competition.

Top 6% - 15% would net your club an end of First Round compensation pick.

Top 16% - 30% would net your club a Second Round pick immediately after your second round pick.

Top 31% - 50% would net your club a end of Second Round compensation pick.

Only the new contract reportedly being offered to Adelaide's free agent Patrick Dangerfield is close to earning first-round compensation in this year's trade period, although even this remains uncertain.

Despite the clubs' push to know what that might mean in dollar terms, the AFL explained it was impossible to attach a specific dollar figure to compensation because the numbers constantly changed.

That means the minimum threshold for a first-round compensation pick can change from year to year – or even week-to-week – depending on how many players aged 25 and above move into the higher earning wage category when the offer is lodged.

Under the formula, the Brisbane Lions could still be in line for a second-round pick (currently No.22) for Matthew Leuenberger, as his new contract might still rank him among the top 30 per cent of players aged 25 and over.

- AFL Website

Last edited:
I recall Adcock getting voted in as well (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rown-steps-aside/story-fni5f4q3-1226808433513). The coaches asked Browny to stay on an extra year to co-captain, Browny was ready to step down (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...r-the-off-season/story-e6frf3e3-1226566401127). Adcock then served a year on his own, and was replaced by Rocky - again in a player vote (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...210695147?sv=30c1b69299dd2e6e0d793dc3fef596c6).

Fair research! This isn't the first time I've noticed... :)

I guess my next question is how are the candidates decided? I understand players having a say in who they want leading them but ultimately you could've had James Polkinghorne as captain if he had the player's backing.

Fair research! This isn't the first time I've noticed... :)

I guess my next question is how are the candidates decided? I understand players having a say in who they want leading them but ultimately you could've had James Polkinghorne as captain if he had the player's backing.

Reading one of the articles, you have to put your name forward. I'm guessing technically Polks could have been but it's likely he wouldn't have got the backing of the players because they still understand what is needed in a captain - best 22 at least.

You blokes taking the pi55 out of the rest of us or what. Go back and read the Adcock posts......geez!!! Waste of f@cking time reading that lot.

Months ago I posted that Steve Johnson is thinking about coming to Brisbane and most called BS on me. Now look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back