Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would provide enough for several series of Underbelly
That would be just W.A.

No doubt.

The secrets within those walls would bring down every State, Territorial and Federal Govt in a heartbeat.

We get the politicians we deserve.

However, we also get the coppers the politicians need.

The seamstress had long finished his police career before that happened

Indeed, but you got my drift.

Even that conviction, with supergrass bikies, and all the rest of the crap, reeked of incompetence and corruption. Way, way, WAY more to that episode.

Shirley Finn was spinning in her grave.

Indeed, but you got my drift.

Even that conviction, with supergrass bikies, and all the rest of the crap, reeked of incompetence and corruption. Way, way, WAY more to that episode.

Shirley Finn was spinning in her grave.
The only one doing real time over that was the grass

Lets not get started on the vice and drug squads over the years

However s**t the GST increase suggestion is, Shorten and Labor trying to convince us that we need to tax smokers an extra 36% to get the money is even worse. Tabacco costs how much to grow? They're already charging smokers (I'm not one) over $20 for a packet, and now they're telling us they'll make them up to $40 for a standard deck? If Labor wants to tell us that they're the ones with the good ideas, when will they come up with one?

Looks like I'm voting Sex Party again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However s**t the GST increase suggestion is, Shorten and Labor trying to convince us that we need to tax smokers an extra 36% to get the money is even worse. Tabacco costs how much to grow? They're already charging smokers (I'm not one) over $20 for a packet, and now they're telling us they'll make them up to $40 for a standard deck? If Labor wants to tell us that they're the ones with the good ideas, when will they come up with one?

Cigs pretty well cost a dollar per cigarette. I would hate to think how big the black market is!

And the costs of increased cancers are?

Is this a Libertarian gripe?
Wouldn't call myself a libertarian, just think its a poorly-considered policy. People have the right to smoke; always have and always should.
Cigs pretty well cost a dollar per cigarette. I would hate to think how big the black market is!
Agreed. Shorten is relying on smokers to be desperate enough to pay $40 for a packet from their servo, under the guise of helping people quit. First of all, plenty of people that can't afford to smoke at that price will either give up (meaning they won't be making money for the deficit at all), or will fuel the black market demand where suppliers will still make an absolute killing at half what the government will charge considering the price of the ready-made product overseas and how cheap it is to produce. See that bloke who was caught with boxes full of them at the airport last week and made the news...do you reckon he's the first one to try, or just the first to fail in a while?
And the costs of increased cancers are?
This is the closest I'll get to a libertarian argument, I think. People have the right to smoke and risk cancer if they want. Do you think they'll ever lower health care taxes, even if they criminalised smoking altogether and nobody was dying of lung cancer?

The answer to cancer costs is somewhere in this thread. The excise more than covers the health costs associated with smoking by multiple times.

Cigarettes should be taxed to the extreme.

The answer to cancer costs is somewhere in this thread. The excise more than covers the health costs associated with smoking by multiple times.

No the cost of lung cancer is long term illness,COPD, pain, misery, surgery, radiation therapy, pain, O2 tanks & nasal prongs, immobility, PAIN & FEAR.

You dont often just drop dead. Most of them painfully rot from the inside. Trust me, I see enough of it.

The medical costs are also extreme. But if you're happy to pay the taxes that pay for the medical costs, then good luck to you. I just hope you dont suffer the other consequence, that of passive smoking.

Cigarettes are the only legal product that kill you if used as directed. It's a clearly undesirable behaviour and I support any effort to eradicate the behaviour.

But the black market argument is well taken.

Cigarettes are the only legal product that kill you if used as directed. It's a clearly undesirable behaviour and I support any effort to eradicate the behaviour.

But the black market argument is well taken.

Geez that's a bit hyperbolic. You could make the same argument for any product or drug with lethal possible side effects. The purpose of smoking isn't to kill yourself, it's the inhalation of nicotine and whatever mystery bag of chemicals the companies are putting in them these days.

It is interesting that the ALP are going down this line again though. They can make the argument that they're doing it because they care about their working class base but it does open themselves up to argument that they're taxing those who can least afford it, while they're arguing against a GST increase on the grounds that it taxes those who can least afford it.

You could make the same argument for any product or drug with lethal possible side effects.

I'm pretty sure those products won't kill you if you use them as directed. There's no safe way to smoke a cigarette.

Those who smoke can afford to give it up, regardless of socio-economic status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back