Changes for the first test V West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell bloke he need to bowl 5 kmph faster to make it to the next level.
He starts bowling faster.
Suddenly he gets back issues.

Sure hindsight helps but it seems to be an obvious connection.
It's not rocket science is it - we have a plan with Pattinson but suddenly we threaten to throw it out the window because of circumstances. Allow me to float the name "Pat Cummins" as exhibit A of how to destroy a bowlers career through poor management.

It's not rocket science is it - we have a plan with Pattinson but suddenly we threaten to throw it out the window because of circumstances. Allow me to float the name "Pat Cummins" as exhibit A of how to destroy a bowlers career through poor management.
Bringing in NCN with no cricket under his belt is another recipe for injury I would expect. The selectors really struggle to give us any confidence in them at all.

You've been banging on about how terrible Hastings was in his only Test but it's not exactly true, is it? He had one good innings with the ball and one ordinary...like almost every other bowler in that game!

Far worse was the decision to ask a medium-pace allrounder to open the bowling at a place like Perth in the first place. But you go ahead and keep slating him, whilst ignoring the embarrassing batting performance served up that game.

He was awful, however I don't blame him- I blame the selectors. You don't pick blokes off a couple of games here and there. Bird has a better chance of succeeding at test level right now. If Boland does it for a season, I'm all for it. I always say, reward performances.

Siddle - Back Spasms - worry
Dorff - Possible stress fractures - 2nd time - Pat Cummins

Cummins at least is only 22. I have said it for a while, don't play a quick till they are 24 bare minimum. Their body needs to fill out first. I am less concerned about Siddle, but then again the alternative is NCN who hasn't played a game this year...good grief.

As much as I don't rate Boland at least he has taken wickets in the shield this year. Bird should have been picked though.

Oh I agree he has done very well, but it is what 3 games this season? Surely we would require a fraction more performances, but maybe that is just me.

Oh I agree he has done very well, but it is what 3 games this season? Surely we would require a fraction more performances, but maybe that is just me.
We'd like more but it is what it is. Slim pickings with so many injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NCN isn't going to play, this is about getting him in an around the squad given he is clearly one of the next in line behind our frontline bowlers. Sure, he hasn't played this year, but he was good last season, has ODI form etc.

Wouldn't NCN and M.Marsh be almost vying for the same job?

Here are the first class stats this season;

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/austr...er.html?class=4;host=2;id=2015/16;type=season

Take out the Test players, take out the spinners, and take out the old trundler, Hopes... you've basically got Bird, Mennie and Boland... and then Doug the Rug. Mennie and Boland are having reasonable seasons, but have had pretty unremarkable careers. IMHO, Bird is clearly the standout in every possible way... best performed this season, best career record AND a previous Test-level performer. AND he is only 2+ years older than Boland.

If we had a fleet of genuinely quick, quality bowlers, then we could afford to be choosy. But we don't.

Lack of other options though. Is Bird fit enough yet? Who else apart from him is there?
Bird is the leading wicket taker in the Shield so far this year after 4 rounds and has played 3 games at Bellerive this year. All logic should suggest that he is next in line, but NCN has got the nod without having bowled a ball in anger in first class cricket in 9 months.

Strange choice - only rationale I can see is that they the selectors think that an attack of Hazlewood, Siddle & Bird would be too similar - but from what I've seen that isn't what they have been saying publicly.

Isn't Sayers the guy that Ponting took a pot-shot at a few years ago... basically saying he was getting his wickets because of overly helpful pitches. It was a general statement about the quality of bowlers in the Shield at the time, but he specifically named Sayers.

Besides, there is no way we should ever select a guy named Chad, let alone someone named Chadd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back