Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to see us pick either Saad or Crowley.

For ****s sake, we just had 12 guys banned for taking drugs.

So we go and pick up 2 guys who took drugs.

The media would have a field day.
Sorry mate, but you may as well take these guys. The media are going to have a field day with Essendon for a long time to come, particularly with a certain former coach saying, "It wasn't me! It was everyone else!" His inability to face the consequences of his actions makes the Nazis look cooperative.
With the legal actions that will occur, this is not going to settle down for a long time to come.

However, don't worry too much. Someone else will screw up spectacularly soon enough off the field and bring his club front page bad press. It is only a matter of time. If he were still playing, Fev would rescue you: he was good at being a dill where alcohol was concerned. Then again, Dustin Martin may decide to take his chopsticks elsewhere. There are plenty of contenders to get you guys off the front page for at least a little while.

Last edited:

My recommended 10 for Essendon are: Sam Grimley, Jordan Lisle, Matthew Watson, Zac O'Brien, Jacob Ballard, Matt Dea, Dan Coughlan, Ryan Crowley and Clinton Jones.

This isn't a bad sample. There may be a few issues with guys who have moved interstate, but nothing insurmountable.
I like Ballard: I wonder what happened over at Freo? From what I've heard everybody over there was impressed by him except the people at Freo.

Jonathon Simpkin
Tony Armstrong
Sam Grimley
Daniel Coghlan
Nick Rippon
Brett Goodes
Mark Jamar
Ben Jolley
PAUL CHAPMAN
Nick O'Brien

My chosen 10

Brodie Martin is twice the footballer that Armstrong is. Hard runner, smart player, but like Smack, never really got a decent crack at it though but generally through inopportune injury/illness. Should still be on our list.

Hard to make much of an impact when you only get a couple of quarters, then the sub vest, then back to the 2nds.

Well Maybe that because he was not Good Enough to keep playing AFL

This isn't a bad sample. There may be a few issues with guys who have moved interstate, but nothing insurmountable.
I like Ballard: I wonder what happened over at Freo? From what I've heard everybody over there was impressed by him except the people at Freo.

Talls and mids are the major need so there is a heavy leaning there to fill those needs. I see this whole group as able to play at AFL level and competing for a position in the clubs best side, or at least offering adequate depth.

Ballard has been excellent through the WAFL and continued his improvement last year but just seemed to lack opportunity due to the sheer strength of Fremantle's midfield. And with Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, Hill and now Bennell coming into the side that happens.

My recommended 10 for Essendon are: Sam Grimley, Jordan Lisle, Matthew Watson, Zac O'Brien, Jacob Ballard, Matt Dea, Dan Coughlan, Ryan Crowley and Clinton Jones.

James Polkinghorne is a lock in my opinion. A leader in the Essendon VFL team that has played really good footy.

Mitch Golby I think is a better player then a VFL/NEAFL level and better then a couple on your list. I think the thing going against him is the fact that he is a flanker type.

p.s. you only picked 9 unless I am more drunk then I think

Edit: Simpkin is a no fuss player as well. Nothing special but will be an experienced roll player.

Interesting. I'd sooner have Golby to Dea, Polkinghorne to Jones, Meese to Grimley and Wilson to Watson but similar types, except the Grimley/Meese comparison. Also would have Rippon in there.

James Polkinghorne is a lock in my opinion. A leader in the Essendon VFL team that has played really good footy.

Mitch Golby I think is a better player then a VFL/NEAFL level and better then a couple on your list. I think the thing going against him is the fact that he is a flanker type.

p.s. you only picked 9 unless I am more drunk then I think

Edit: Simpkin is a no fuss player as well. Nothing special but will be an experienced roll player.

Simpkin was my 10th in compiling the list. Not sure where he went. But he would be an easy 10th choice.

Golby and Polkinghorne both options I considered and both deserve to be in the mix but would be inclined to pass on them both for the other 10.

Interesting. I'd sooner have Golby to Dea, Polkinghorne to Jones, Meese to Grimley and Wilson to Watson but similar types, except the Grimley/Meese comparison. Also would have Rippon in there.

Golby and Polkinghorne have both had their opportunities. Jones is a stronger performer than Polkinghorne and offers greater experience, Dea I felt last season performed more strongly than Golby and still has some more scope to improve individually.

Grimley and Watson I'm also as talls very comfortable with. Grimley is a good fwd who can ruck if required. With Watson if reports are true that he trained hard pre-draft and has continued to work on his game, I wouldn't say no to either as someone with the talent but things just haven't come together for him.

As an alternative to Rippon of those Essendon would have to make a special request about as someone not from the AFL system or Essendon VFL club, I like Chris Jansen with the idea towards giving him a year in the system as a try-out of sorts as for me anyway the more promising AFL prospect of those state leaguers overlooked last year. But I'm not expecting the AFL to be all that keen on those kinds of exceptions with the guidelines being players delisted these past two seasons from AFL lists or Essendon listed VFL players.

There are certainly a small few who could pose alternatives to these, and I'd imagine many have been mentioned throughout this thread.

Thoughts on Travis Tuck? To me he's exactly the type Essendon need a big bodied inside mid who should have no issue transferring his inside game to AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Travis Tuck? To me he's exactly the type Essendon need a big bodied inside mid who should have no issue transferring his inside game to AFL level.

Hasn't been on an AFL list in some years so I'd expect Tuck's chances to be low.

Tuck has been one of the better performers through the SANFL these past few seasons though and averaged a goal a game last year which is solid.

Chris Jansen, Kaine Stevens and Steve Summerton would be three SANFL mids I'd be inclined to take before Tuck though. But they're all in that conversation. Just under the limitations of the rules I'm not expecting the AFL to grant Essendon that kind of recruiting flexibility with my feel being Essendon would be pushing their luck.

Jason Porplyzia if he can play like he did last season and would be open to an AFL return could be someone though if looking through the SANFL.

Ballards problem was he was a rookie. All of us thought he was getting an upgrade as he won the B&F for Peel and also did a terrific job in the half a game he played against port.

From what I gathered no one has reached out to Ballard.
Find this hard to believe, he was a gun in WAFL and would be a good replacement for some of the bigger midfielders or insurance if Goddard goes down (I'm aware not anywhere the same standard)

Ballard has been excellent through the WAFL and continued his improvement last year but just seemed to lack opportunity due to the sheer strength of Fremantle's midfield. And with Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, Hill and now Bennell coming into the side that happens.

I think there were question marks on his Skills.

Played very well in the WAFL.

I see there are plenty suggestions for State League players. The rules set for the top up players make them ineligible.

The top up players must have been on an AFL list in 2014-2015, and no more then 1 player from each source club. Special exemption may be given by the AFL on the "one player from a club" rule.

I see there are plenty suggestions for State League players. The rules set for the top up players make them ineligible.

The top up players must have been on an AFL list in 2014-2015, and no more then 1 player from each source club. Special exemption may be given by the AFL on the "one player from a club" rule.

Special exemption can also be given for state league players outside the rules you listed.

Article linked earlier in this thread:

The rules state top-up players must have been on an AFL list within the last two seasons, or are currently on the Essendon VFL list.

But an approval can be granted by the league for recruits outside of these guidelines.

I stand corrected

soooo, the AFL has set rules to sourcing the top-up players, and at the same time listed exceptions to the rules.

:rolleyes:
It's basically to stop Essendon making a mockery of the game, signing players like Fev or Lovett.

Sorry mate, but you may as well take these guys. The media are going to have a field day with Essendon for a long time to come, particularly with a certain former coach saying, "It wasn't me! It was everyone else!" His inability to face the consequences of his actions makes the Nazis look cooperative.

what about 2017 - half the team will be Crowlies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back