2016 ATP World Tour 250/500 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
If the mods could sticky this thread that would be great. All discussion here about the 250/500 tournaments.

Calendar: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/tournaments

Rankings: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/rankings

Apart from the Brisbane International taking place this week we also have the Aircel Chennai Open in India and Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha.

In Qatar, Djokovic and Nadal have reached the semi final with Djokovic playing Berdych and Nadal playing Marchenko.

In India, we're at the quarter final stage with Stan Wawrinka favourite to win the tournament.

Yeah, someone needs to sticky this. Missed it.

Rafael Nadal labels Novak Djokovic as ‘perfect’

Nadal went down to the ATP rankings leader in straight sets 6-1, 6-2 during the final of the Qatar Open on Sunday (AEDT).

Gracious in defeat, Rafa spoke after the match, labelling the world No.1 as “perfection.”

“I played against a player who did everything perfect. I know nobody playing tennis like this ever. Since I know this sport, I never saw somebody playing at this level,” Nadal said.

“When I say perfect, it’s not one thing in particular. It’s everything. If not, it’s not perfect.”

Labelling Djokovic as the best player he has ever seen would put him ahead of former world No.1 Roger Federer — a player that holds the record for the most weeks at the top of the world rankings, with 302 in total.

It's a massive statement by Rafa but Novak is playing as well as I've ever seen someone play. Federer around 2005-early 2007 is what Djokovic is resembling at the moment but he's dominating the tour now.

I actually think Nadal could be a threat in the Australian Open provided he avoids Djokovic at all costs.

I'm tipping Stan to win in India tonight. It would be huge for Coric if he could pull off an upset.

This week's tournaments:

All ATP World Tour 250 tournaments.

Open Sud de France
Seeded players:
1). Richard Gasquet
2). Marin Cilic
3). Gilles Simon
4). Benoit Paire
5). Gael Monfils
6). Joao Sousa
7). Borna Coric
8). Marcos Baghdatis

From the Aussies, John Millman features in this tournament.

Sofia Open
Seeded players:
1). Roberta Bautista Agut
2). Viktor Troicki
3). Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
4). Andreas Seppi
5). Philipp Kohlschreiber
6). Gilles Muller
7). Martin Klizan
8). Adrian Mannarino

From the Aussies, Matthew Ebden features in this tournament.

Ecuador Open
Seeded players:
1). Bernard Tomic
2). Feliciano Lopez
3). Thomaz Bellucci
4). Fernando Verdasco
5). Victor Estrella Burgos
6). Paolo Lorenzi
7). Albert Ramos-Vinolas
8). Pablo Carreno Busta

From the Aussies, Bernard Tomic features in this tournament seeded at #1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um why is Bernie playing on clay? He will end up getting rolled by some Argie dirt baller ranked 200 in the world :confused:
If he wants to be a top ten player he simply has to win matches on clay. Only way he can do that is to practice on it. It's a good, mature decision by him.

Going to try and watch some more tennis outside the Slams this year.

The Open Sud de France looks like the pick of the tournaments this week, although I'm interested to see how Bernie goes on the clay.

Not really a fan of any of the matches on tonight, might check the Ebden match though.

Ebden loses first round in Sofia.

Interesting game tomorrow in Round 2 of the Launceston Challenger. Mathew Barton coming off a win over Jordon Thompson in Round 1 takes on Omar Jasika.

Ebden beaten 6 4 6 1 by De Bakker :(

I am hoping to watch Millman's match at Montpellier tomorrow morning (if the timing is right).

Re Tomic, yep, I think it's good he is playing on clay. Could be some short term pain but will definitely benefit in the long run from gaining more experience on that surface.

Millman makes mincemeat of Benneteau winning 6-3 6-0. Played really well and served 11 aces :eek: Benneteau did call for the trainer at the end of the first set for some treatment on his achilles so may have been hampered by that but still impressive by Millman, lots of winners and not too many unforced errors. He will face either Roger-Vasselin or Monfils in the next round.

Tomic won his first round beating Carballes Baena in 3 sets. Plays Paolo Lorenzi next in the quarters. Lorenzi has "interesting" form for a clay courter, winning a hard Challenger in Canberra before the Aus Open beating Donskoy, Marcel Granollers and Dodig, yet losing a clay challenger final at odds on against Gerald Melzer last week. On a slow clay court it would be a tough game. Courts must be playing reasonably quick at the altitude though as Bellucci won easy and Rajeev Ram won a tour match outside of Newport, let alone a tour match on clay!

He was the world no.120 so not a great win but it's a win. Surely he;s here for the money, will probably lose next round.

Roger-Vasselin beat Monfils so plays Millman next so a huge change at an ATP QF for John.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back