Senior List
Jul 13, 2011
Hiroshima
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hiroshima Cranes, Japan Samurais
Hi all,

Just thought you might have been interested to hear about a newly established team in Hiroshima. We will be using a design from Bigfooty's own craegus. It is a Hiroshima themed Cats jumper.

For those of you who aren't aware, the crane is a symbol of the city and peace.
http://www.city.hiroshima.lg.jp/shimin/heiwa/crane.html

The bit which might interest you the most though, is the numbers we are ordering:

30, 7, 44, 4
14, 40, 3, 11
26, 5, 35, 20
21, 39
The team will be made up primarily of Americans this year and we will play our first game on the 21st of September (depending on ground bookings)

2nrkmsi.jpg

Last edited:

Welcome JF.

That's a pretty cool take, with a Japanese flavour, of our beloved jumper.

Hope you enjoy great success on and off the field, and your competition grows to be even bigger and better.

Keep us informed.

I agree - great jumper. I really like the idea of Hiroshoma having a link to the Cats, given its history. Will it be a Japanese league, or a district one? I think you need a number 22 while you are at it as well. Good luck, and please keep us updated - maybe keep a Hiroshoma thread active during your season so we can check in?

Hi all,

Just thought you might have been interested to hear about a newly established team in Hiroshima. We will be using a design from Bigfooty's own craegus. It is a Hiroshima themed Cats jumper.

The bit which might interest you the most though, is the numbers we are ordering:

30, 7, 44, 4
14, 40, 3, 11
26, 5, 35, 20
21, 39
The team will be made up primarily of Americans this year and we will play our first game on the 21st of September (depending on ground bookings)

2nrkmsi.jpg

is it 15 players per side JapanFootball ?
only a few short of the 2009 premiership side.
like the jumper.

This year, the JAFLhas been split up into an Eastern and Western league. Hiroshima will be the third team in the Western league and the only truly 'Western' team. Because it's a new league, there has been nothing happen this far in 2014 - this is a development year! The winner of the upcoming round robin tournament will play in a finals series with the top three Tokyo teams.

Games are played 9 a side on rugby fields. This is only the case because there is not a whole lot of space for full sized games. Playing on a rugby field makes it easier for new players to stay involved in a game and the fitness requirements are less for old and injury ravaged expats. :)

Until now there's been a Hawks, Power, Magpies, Lions, Possiedons (Eagles), Goannas, Dingoes and Suns. I asked Heelong to support us, but it was too late in the year and they were unable to. Even so, here come the cranes (cats ;))

Follow us on Fb (will post the link later) and The JP league at www.jafl.org.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

30, 7, 44, 4
14, 40, 3, 11
26, 5, 35, 20
21, 39

2nrkmsi.jpg
Is there any time of year you would NOT go to Japan? Is January off limits for those of us who DON'T ski?

Sure is, only champions in this team. ;)

Japan has its moments. I've been here since 2009.
We are seriously keen to visit but only have brief time in January- is that an ok time to visit- winter?
Sorry to treat you like a travel agent.

We are seriously keen to visit but only have brief time in January- is that an ok time to visit- winter?
Sorry to treat you like a travel agent.
Japan changes so much between seasons and there's always something for everyone. Winter is a lot of fun even if you're not into winter sports. If you get too cold, the izakayas are always there for you. :) I can help you out with specifics if you have anywhere or anything in mind. I've been to about 20 different prefectures, so can definitely give you some tips.

Last edited:
Japan is ace any time of the year! I've been 4 times. Love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back