List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could he play Zung's role. Zung becomes tagger and Crowley get dropped (unfortunately)

Why would Ross dislocate two players to accommodate one ?
I think Ross rates Crowls too highly to dispense with him entirely.
I can see a bit of jostling for spots next year with Tom right in the mix but I am baffled at who clogged is referring to.

I can see a bit of jostling for spots next year with Tom right in the mix but I am baffled at who clogged is referring to.

Why do you think he's referring specifically to one player?

Yeah I doubt it too. Its interesting because besides Zung, Crowls and Mundy our midfield is relatively young

Could be anyone. Pearce, Mzungu, Duffield, Suban or Mayne could pop out for him if he improves to the level required.

Pearce.D perhaps, if his form doesn't lift. Pearce will get first crack, I reckon. But, give it a bad game or two and Sherro would have to be in contention.

Edit - Clogged beat me to it.

The pressure on all players is going to be on for young and old during the Pre Season IMHO .
Ballard , Grey , Alex Pearce , Apeness , Taberner , Sheridan ,Crozier , Duffy, Simpson, Silvagni and Tanner Smith will be training the house down .
We have recruited very well over the last 2 \ 3 years and the competition for spots in the best 22 is going to very tough to call .
On top of that list of players Clancee , De Boer , Suban , D. Pearce and Clarke will be competing to hold their spots as well .
Hannath has been the forgotten player this season but if he can show us some serious development there is even more pressure on Clarke
Of the old hands Crowley , Duffield , Dawson , Johnson , Sandi and Pav will have to be rotated during the year to keep them fresh for the finals .
If we secure Frawley and he comes fit and ready to go the back 6 could have a whole new look to it .
With the possibility of Sylvia finally realizing that his football career will be over if he doesn't lift his game MAYBE ,JUST MAYBE he comes good and ready the selectors will be having nightmares about who to play and who plays for Peel .

Could be anyone. Pearce, Mzungu, Duffield, Suban or Mayne could pop out for him if he improves to the level required.

Shero is nothing like Gu, Duffield and Mayne and I can't see him taking any of those roles although I firmly believe chris Mayne's defensive forward role is extravagant and costing us. Given that, Crozier, Taberner and Duffy appear to lay the biggest challenge for that spot.
Suban I have already named as one of the players, in a group, that Shero will be putting pressure on.
Danyle perhaps but he has also played in every game since arriving here and, evidently, sometimes playing ill. Ross clearly sees value in Danyle.

I see shero as a midfield forward and like I have stated many times, as a strategic Sub player. We have a few of them. That's where I see Tom and several others sharing game time. That isn't downgrading the role as I see the sub as a strategic position. Before Ross joined us we were merely sharing the vest around; many clubs were and still do the same thing.
We have pretty much settled on that now. Tommy will be utilized in this fashion for at least another season I reckon.

What a stupid comment, St Kilda's problems with youth were not to do with Lyon's unwillingness to play them. It was crap recruiting, why would Lyon play crap players?

I guess my point was more around seeing who we have been able to bring in and develop versus who they were able to. Being successful doesn't mean you can't develop I.e Sydney and hawthorn... We have been moderately successful and still seen players come through... Saints under Ross recruited players like polo and gamble... And that was more where I was guessing that their angst lay..

I actually believe sherridan will be a very very good afl player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following from Ross' comments on actively pursuing free agency, trading and drafting and his reference to the Swans for what he has in mind, I've had a look at how the Hawks and Swans have built their lists using trades & free agency and compared it to our's as follows:-

HAWKS (7 of 8 below in current best 22)
- (2009) Burgoyne traded in for Picks 9 & 16. Complicated trade involving four clubs.
- (2009) Gibson traded in for Picks 25 & 41.
- (2010) Hale traded in for Picks 27 & 71.
- (2011) Gunston traded in for Pick 24 plus upgraded picks in later rounds.
- (2012) Lake and Pick 27 exchanged for Picks 21 & 41.
- (2012) Spangher traded in for Pick 64.
- (2012) Simpkin from Geelong as delisted free agent.
- (2013) McEvoy exchanged for Pick 18 & Savage.

SYDNEY (All 6 in current best 22)
- (2005) Richards traded in for Picks 19 & 51.
- (2008) Shaw traded in for Pick 46.
- (2009) Kennedy traded in for Pick 39.
- (2009) McGlynn traded in for Picks 46. & 70.
- (2012) Tippett via Pre Season Draft Pick 11.
- (2013) Franklin via free agency.

FREMANTLE (3 of 8 below in current best 22)
- (2001) McPharlin and Croad exchanged for Picks 1, 20 & 36.
- (2007) Bradley traded in for Pick 69.
- (2010) Mzungu traded in for Pick 39.
- (2010) Griffen traded infor Pick 61.
- (2011) Dawson via Pre Season Draft Pick 11.
- (2012) Pearce as free agent.
- (2013) Sylvia as free agent.
- (2013) Gumbleton for Pick 55.

I'm still absorbing it, but what's it all mean???

My initial thoughts:-
- We value our draft picks investing in youth while trying to seek out bargains.
- Maybe risk averse to trading due to some bad decisions early on.
- We've had a policy on drafting youth in the last 5 years but now Bondy needs to be less of a tight arse on trading picks to fill gaps in the list (i.e. Key positions).
- We don't seem to get involved in complex multi club deals. The Hawks seem to push the envelope here. We don't.
- The Hawks seemingly appeal to players on the move. Ladder position? Strong Melbourne club? Aggressive recruiting? Less travel?

If any of the data is incorrect, pull me up. Same if I've missed anyone.

Welcome your opinions.

Following from Ross' comments on actively pursuing free agency, trading and drafting and his reference to the Swans for what he has in mind, I've had a look at how the Hawks and Swans have built their lists using trades & free agency and compared it to our's as follows:-

- (2009) Burgoyne traded in for Picks 9 & 16. Complicated trade involving four clubs.

- We value our draft picks investing in youth while trying to seek out bargains.
- We've had a policy on drafting youth in the last 5 years but now Bondy needs to be less of a tight arse on trading picks to fill gaps in the list (i.e. Key positions).
- We don't seem to get involved in complex multi club deals. The Hawks seem to push the envelope here. We don't.
- The Hawks seemingly appeal to players on the move. Ladder position? Strong Melbourne club? Aggressive recruiting? Less travel?

Welcome your opinions.

We are yet to realize the dividend on our recent drafting. On the surface it can't be said we have got it wrong.

We are yet to realize the dividend on our recent drafting. On the surface it can't be said we have got it wrong.

I agree and if the club too has every confidence in its recent draft acquisitions perhaps it's time to shift the emphasis and trade this year's picks if it can help to secure proven players where we are deficient (e.g. the spine).
Not saying we've got it wrong lately. Just thinking we should be prepared to trade picks aggressively.

Welcome your opinions.
Sydney: Tommy Walsh: pick 35 & 68 - 2011
I assume you have deliberately excluded all the players no longer listed at the clubs: Jarrad Boumann, Mitch Morton etc etc.

Sydney: Tommy Walsh: pick 35 & 68 - 2011
I assume you have deliberately excluded all the players no longer listed at the clubs: Jarrad Boumann, Mitch Morton etc etc.

Thanks. Not sure how to edit my original post and add him in.

Yes. I've just analysed current lists so non current listed players excluded.

Welcome your opinions.

100% agree. I think freo has been burnt by poor trades in earlier years and have probably over-corrected a little. I like the idea of getting free agents as a free hit but not at the expense of chasing a player that better meets our needs that we may have to trade for.

In saying that tho, they chased Harry Taylor but he said no before we got down to trade value. Apparently chased Conca too but he stayed.

Welcome your opinions.

Our team came from such a low base in 2007/2008 where we had a very old aging list, and was forced to cut back heavily.

For this reason we could not afford to trade away picks and we had to value draft picks.

I believe being in WA their is only a small amount of players willing to come to us, and we have to pay more to get them (especially the non WA players). The Hawks have access to all Victorian players, and if a player shifts from a Vic club to a Vic club it is not a big move.

We simply could not afford to draft away picks until we had the core players in our team. I believe you should not trade away picks until you have 15+ really good players ideally under 28 who you can build a team around.

B: Spurr Silvangi A Pearce
HB:Ibbotson Sutcliffe
M: Hill Fyfe Morabito
HF: Mayne Taberner Walters
F: Ballas Apeness Duffy
R: Clarke Neale Crozier
B: Sheridan Simpson

This is the team we will have for the next 4 -5 years, and wouldn't Frawley fit in the hole at Centre half back. I think this is a top 6 team with out any extra recruits.

Dawson, Mzungu, D Pearce are 28 and don't quite make the team but obviously will play the next 3-4 years.

The point I am making is that our list is very good shape, we have brilliant depth and now is the time to chase more A graders, not 5 years ago when we had a rubbish team.

I think we have made the mistake of targeting B graders or have been unable to attract the A graders we need. Ideally these recruits would be a Roughead clone, but any A graders would improve our side.

We are going to have a very good side for the next 4-5 years at least, and we will finish top 4 regularly if we can develop or recruit a gun forward to replace Pavlich.

PS - The Mzungu trade was Mzungu and pick #44 for pick #38

Last edited:
Our team came from such a low base in 2007/2008 where we had a very old aging list, and was forced to cut back heavily.

For this reason we could not afford to trade away picks and we had to value draft picks.

I believe being in WA their is only a small amount of players willing to come to us, and we have to pay more to get them (especially the non WA players). The Hawks have access to all Victorian players, and if a player shifts from a Vic club to a Vic club it is not a big move.

We simply could not afford to draft away picks until we had the core players in our team. I believe you should not trade away picks until you have 15+ really good players ideally under 28 who you can build a team around.

This is the team we will have for the next 4 -5 years, and wouldn't Frawley fit in the whole at Centre half back. I think this is a top 6 team with out any extra recruits.

Dawson, Mzungu, D Pearce are 28 and don't quite make the team but obviously will play the next 3-4 years.

The point I am making is that our list is very good shape, we have brilliant depth and now is the time to chase more A graders, not 5 years ago when we had a rubbish team.

I think we have made the mistake of targeting B graders or have been unable to attract the A graders we need. Ideally these recruits would be a Roughead clone, but any A graders would improve our side.

We are going to have a very good side for the next 4-5 years at least, and we will finish top 4 regularly if we can develop or recruit a gun forward to replace Pavlich.

Good points, throw in a couple of Neale's and Sutty's taken late in the draft and we will be looking really good.

I agree and hope it is the case on Choppers' role. Gu was outstanding this year and why would we jeopardize that ?
Duffield, I dunno . He is a cog in a defence unit.
Everything should be up for grabs. That may not necessarily mean Mzungu out, but that he plays a different role (more defensive) while someone else goes out (Duffield).

This is the team we will have for the next 4 -5 years, and wouldn't Frawley fit in the hole at Centre half back. I think this is a top 6 team with out any extra recruits.

I think we should target younger A graders that will peak along side Fyfe, Hill and the up and coming players rather than more mature players in the hope that they may win the premiership next year. We will probably still be a chance to win next year anyway with continued improvements from the younger crop and hope that Tabener, Apeness, Alex Pearce, Tanner Smith progress enough just to contribute rather than be stars. If we are able to pinch a couple of players from other clubs that are just about to peak (similar to the 3 year breakout rule for fantasy footy) rather than a more mature body, we probably will still progress rather than go backwards. I think it will be better in the long run and the year after when Pav is gone, and the year after that, we will have a big group of quality players all hitting their straps at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back