List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

In theory Simpson could be moved to the rookie list, I really doubt another club would touch him.

Yeah I am fan of trading out fringe players, I would be happy to trade out C Pearce, Griffin or Suban for a 3rd round pick and Clarke for a top 25 pick.

Call me a dreamer, but I think Malceski would be unbelievable get, and if we got him Suban's exit would be pretty much guaranteed.

Malceski would be a great get, such a solid player.

I don't think rookie listing him will be of any benefit. He's either mentally ready to commit and hook into pre season or he's not. It's going to be his third year and if he hasn't figured out if he wants to do this by now then we're better off letting him go. Yes, he's one of the more gifted players we've ever drafted. Yes, he's got some cultural hurdles a lot of us (me included) really have no idea about. But this will be his third pre season. He should know by now what's required and whether or not he want's to commit. For mine, he either commits and stays on the main list or gets the boot.

This discussion has been done to death already on another thread Agenfrida.

What people "know" or "think" has been openly "discussed" to the point e-punches (t.m PGR) were thrown.

We don't have to go over it again. Let's just see what happens with Josh without putting any expectations on him.

This discussion has been done to death already on another thread Agenfrida.

What people "know" or "think" has been openly "discussed" to the point e-punches (t.m PGR) were thrown.

We don't have to go over it again. Let's just see what happens with Josh without putting any expectations on him.
I'm not alluding to his personal/cultural circumstances. He's either ready and/or able to commit or he isn't. Putting him on the rookie list makes no sense. Either he's good to go or he's not. It's pretty simple really. And for anyone wanting to punch on over discussions about any player...

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm not alluding to his personal/cultural circumstances. He's either ready and/or able to commit or he isn't. Putting him on the rookie list makes no sense. Either he's good to go or he's not. It's pretty simple really. And for anyone wanting to punch on over discussions about any player...

I wasn't getting at you so please don't take my response personally. What has been made clear on a number of occasions is that it's a little more complex than if he's able to commit or not.

The club appear to have put in place, if accounts of those who know better than I are to be believed, a system to get him to where he needs to be.

It may work or it may not. Time will tell. The club have invested a lot in him and I don't think the "either he's ready or he's gone" argument can be made yet.

I wasn't getting at you so please don't take my response personally. What has been made clear on a number of occasions is that it's a little more complex than if he's able to commit or not.

The club appear to have put in place, if accounts of those who know better than I are to be believed, a system to get him to where he needs to be.

It may work or it may not. Time will tell. The club have invested a lot in him and I don't think the "either he's ready or he's gone" argument can be made yet.
He missed basically a half a year of football, so it has possibly put him back some way. I'm glad the club stuck with him if he ticked all the boxes they asked him to.

I've always thought that recruitment should slightly favour long-term prosperity over short term flag hunting. Below is a table of our current players who will be below 30 next season, the players age listed is their age as of next season.

This is the team that we need to build on with the draft and Free Agency.

upload_2014-9-30_21-54-2.png

What I think needs targeting:
Small lockdown defenders
Outside running mids

We have quite a young forward line that should dominate in the coming years and as long as we keep drafting well we shouldn't have the issues we currently have with the lack of a Pavlich sidekick/replacement.
Tall Fwds - Apeness, Taberner
Medium Fwds - Crozier, Mayne, Duffy
Small Fwds - Walters, Ballas

Midfield: Apart for Hilly and Pearce we don't have much genuine pace, Simpson if he stays could be the answer.

Depth: None of our fringe players are screaming to be selected. The likes of de Boer and Suban are serviceable for covering injuries but we want Tom Mitchell levels players in our depth reminding our best 22 that there spot isn't safe. That was a big issue this year as players like Clarke, Mayne, Pearce should of been dropped to WAFL to find some form but we didn't have any suitable replacements.

I've always thought that recruitment should slightly favour long-term prosperity over short term flag hunting. Below is a table of our current players who will be below 30 next season, the players age listed is their age as of next season.

View attachment 83534

Small lockdown defenders
Outside running mids

We have quite a young forward line that should dominate in the coming years and as long as we keep drafting well we shouldn't have the issues we currently have with the lack of a Pavlich sidekick/replacement.

Midfield: Apart for Hilly and Pearce we don't have much genuine pace, Simpson if he stays could be the answer.

Depth: None of our fringe players are screaming to be selected. The likes of de Boer and Suban are serviceable for covering injuries but we want Tom Mitchell levels players in our depth reminding our best 22 that there spot isn't safe. That was a big issue this year as players like Clarke, Mayne, Pearce should of been dropped to WAFL to find some form but we didn't have any suitable replacements.

That is an old and shallow backline IMO. We need defenders as a priority.

View attachment 83534

Small lockdown defenders
Outside running mids

Wouldn't Frawley help our back line so much, he would be an unbelievable get. At 25, we could build a defence around him.

If we got him, I don't think we would need a KPP for 2-3 years. If T Smith and A Pearce develop then it could be longer than that.

Our forward line looks promising, although we would love an elite 3rd mobile tall. Their is no point drafting more KPF's if both Taberner and Apeness will make it, but if they don't then we need one. (This is the fine line we walk with KPF's and KPD's)

I still believe we need more midfield depth, and I think this shows up in our WAFL side with is often top heavy. I count 10 mids their including Crozier, Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Simpson. (11 with Grey) Ideally you need 15+ mids ready to be played, so that you can rotate them through the back and forward line. I didn't not count 29 year old players or fringe players who I don't think should be near our 22.

View attachment 83534

Small lockdown defenders
Outside running mids

You nailed it.Our back line is probably a priority.The midfield could possibly be bolstered as early as next year from the likes of crozier,sherro,mora and Simpson (fingers crossed).It makes this draft pretty intriguing on who we select,I hope we go best available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think rookie listing him will be of any benefit. He's either mentally ready to commit and hook into pre season or he's not. It's going to be his third year and if he hasn't figured out if he wants to do this by now then we're better off letting him go. Yes, he's one of the more gifted players we've ever drafted. Yes, he's got some cultural hurdles a lot of us (me included) really have no idea about. But this will be his third pre season. He should know by now what's required and whether or not he want's to commit. For mine, he either commits and stays on the main list or gets the boot.
If you think like this, then you really shouldn't be commenting on it.

It does not come down to doing pre-seasons, playing games, and asking himself "hmm should I do this?" There are so many factors, some obvious and some we'll never know, but they're all valid and complex and a huge issue with Australian society. This kind of s**t is so ignorant. He's coming from a totally different world. This isn't a Hale School boy from Peppermint Grove who's been given the magic beans and who can, himself, make the decision rationally and easily. This is someone totally different. Give him time.

Tutt is a fast Suban from what I've seen. I hear he wants out of the Bulldogs.
I'd do that trade.

You had me until you mentioned Suban.

Perhaps compare him to Hill or D Pearce and I would be more likely to consider him.

I think any AFL player who has not learned to kick on both feat is just plain lazy. If you get paid 200k+ a year, spend a couple of months to learn how to kick on your non dominate foot.

Perhaps compare him to Hill or D Pearce and I would be more likely to consider him.

I think any AFL player who has not learned to kick on both feat is just plain lazy. If you get paid 200k+ a year, spend a couple of months to learn how to kick on your non dominate foot.
Is this post ironic?

Stephen Hill and Danyle Pearce are the most one-footed players at Freo; they constantly wheel over onto their dominant foot, which loses time and options and sometimes gets them caught. It happens so much. They're the biggest offenders at the club and two of the biggest in the comp!

Is this post ironic?

Stephen Hill and Danyle Pearce are the most one-footed players at Freo; they constantly wheel over onto their dominant foot, which loses time and options and sometimes gets them caught. It happens so much. They're the biggest offenders at the club and two of the biggest in the comp!

Stephen Hill still has a right foot he can use and it is quiet effective, I really doubt Suban does.

100% agree. I use to teach PE and it really comes back to when you're a youth. If you're an under 16 player, you generally know if you're good, so why not spend training sessions using your opposite foot etc. It really isn't that hard.

When I taught soccer in the UK it was incredible how proficient kids were on both feet because they practice it.

That said kicking a football with the correct spin isn't difficult either, but there are heaps of professionals with terrible drops etc.

Is this post ironic?

Bullshit.

Lachie Neale

If you think like this, then you really shouldn't be commenting on it.

It does not come down to doing pre-seasons, playing games, and asking himself "hmm should I do this?" There are so many factors, some obvious and some we'll never know, but they're all valid and complex and a huge issue with Australian society. This kind of s**t is so ignorant. He's coming from a totally different world. This isn't a Hale School boy from Peppermint Grove who's been given the magic beans and who can, himself, make the decision rationally and easily. This is someone totally different. Give him time.
I realise this is a touchy subject for some so I'll say this and leave it at that. It will be three years at the beginning of the pre season. Cultural differences aside (and yes I've already stated I don't really understand them, but I'm guessing almost everyone here doesn't either) how long do we wait? 4 years? 5 years? I would have thought after 3 years you'd know whether you want to commit, are able to balance your personal circumstances with the demands of AFL. If his cultural background is too much to overcome then that's fair enough. It's not a crime, but why put him on the rookie list? So after 3 years we've got no real idea whether this will work out or not but somehow, magically we'll know the year after? What if we're in the same boat then? Do we leave him as a rookie for another year? If he's ready to go or he will be ready to go at some stage, leave him on the main list. If it's not looking good, delist. I just find it hard to believe his circumstances will be any different in 12 months time. If some people are offended by that, well I'm sorry. However, this is a forum, and this is my view. Don't tell me I don't have a right to voice my opinion.

I realise this is a touchy subject for some so I'll say this and leave it at that. It will be three years at the beginning of the pre season. Cultural differences aside (and yes I've already stated I don't really understand them, but I'm guessing almost everyone here doesn't either) how long do we wait? 4 years? 5 years? I would have thought after 3 years you'd know whether you want to commit, are able to balance your personal circumstances with the demands of AFL. If his cultural background is too much to overcome then that's fair enough. It's not a crime, but why put him on the rookie list? So after 3 years we've got no real idea whether this will work out or not but somehow, magically we'll know the year after? What if we're in the same boat then? Do we leave him as a rookie for another year? If he's ready to go or he will be ready to go at some stage, leave him on the main list. If it's not looking good, delist. I just find it hard to believe his circumstances will be any different in 12 months time. If some people are offended by that, well I'm sorry. However, this is a forum, and this is my view. Don't tell me I don't have a right to voice my opinion.

You get the feeling Simpson loves the game of footy, but doesn't enjoy everything associated with it. He'd probably enjoy a couple of training sessions a game on the weekend and spend the rest relaxing. He'd also probably still be a great player, but the demands are too much and are possibly driving many players away or falling out of love with footy.

Nothing wrong with being homesick. That's not cultural, you only have to see how many others have come out recently asking to be traded to get home.

Is this post ironic?

Load of crap, Suban is so much more one-footed than either of them. Go back over our games and you will see Hill hitting players with his opposite foot.

There are a truck load of one footed players in the AFL. Keiran Jack for example, costed Sydney two goals in the GF because of it. Twice he was 10 metres out running into goal but had to change direction, ended up getting mowed down for HTB

If you play AFL at the elite level you should be forced to train both legs. Sam Mitchell's a prime example of it, can pin point a pass with both feet and rarely gets pinged because of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back