Injury Injuries 2014 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am pretty sure we all hope Clarke gets over his injuries and fulfils his undoubted potential. For me he gets a tick with the revelation of his injuries. He has a decent challenge in front of him. Looking forward to seeing how he goes next season.

Me either, I know they're allowed to have a life but given the size of AFL contracts and that the players body is ultimately an asset to the club I'd be surprised if there wasn't a clause ruling out participating in other sports such as basketball.

I believe the club just frowns upon the players doing anything 'potentially' risky.

I have been surfing in Perth and down south a number of times and seen the guys out - even asked Hilly one day if the club is ok with the guys surfing etc... said they are asked to be careful but knowing they cant control everything

He supposedly couldn't play AFL well this year because he was in agony with his knee. Couldn't be too bad if he was playing basketball on it in the off-season.
Just maybe he knew he was having a operation in few weeks anyhow. just think about it - he was playing in of the one highest standard sporting comps in the world without anyone knowing he had a bad knee ( playing was not not going to do any more damage otherwise he would have been playing, not bad for a softie. ) Running up and down a basketball court in what I guess is a social comp. is no big deal. They do need a life.

Just maybe he knew he was having a operation in few weeks anyhow. just think about it - he was playing in of the one highest standard sporting comps in the world without anyone knowing he had a bad knee ( playing was not not going to do any more damage otherwise he would have been playing, not bad for a softie. ) Running up and down a basketball court in what I guess is a social comp. is no big deal. They do need a life.
We did know because Ross said he was sore. It was stupid of the club to play him imo, if what he put out this season was the best he could muster. I am totally baffled. Your other points are valid but pure speculation.

We did know because Ross said he was sore. It was stupid of the club to play him imo, if what he put out this season was the best he could muster. I am totally baffled. Your other points are valid but pure speculation.
Sorry if you think am picking on you re: Clarke. we all have our views. I'm old and played and coached many years ago, but the one thing I know for sure, Ross Lyon and his staff know more about football than I ever will. If he played a sore Clarke it was because it was the best for the team. I know this site works on opinion and that's fine, we can disagree but if you bleed purple you just have to trust the boss. ( even when it's a rabbit like Drum :(). This is the best that we have ever had it. We have the best coach in the comp and one of the best teams and we will up and about next year. all I ask is give Clarke one more chance to change your mind, because if he did play on one leg, had rib and lung problems then the one thing he is not is soft.

Sorry if you think am picking on you re: Clarke. we all have our views. I'm old and played and coached many years ago, but the one thing I know for sure, Ross Lyon and his staff know more about football than I ever will. If he played a sore Clarke it was because it was the best for the team. I know this site works on opinion and that's fine, we can disagree but if you bleed purple you just have to trust the boss. ( even when it's a rabbit like Drum :(). This is the best that we have ever had it. We have the best coach in the comp and one of the best teams and we will up and about next year. all I ask is give Clarke one more chance to change your mind, because if he did play on one leg, had rib and lung problems then the one thing he is not is soft.
No problem. But I don't believe Ross doesn't make mistakes or maybe he doesn't and I just don't know it. :) I accept his authority and superior knowledge as a very good coach, but I don't believe he is infallible. He says himself that he makes mistakes (although he is probably only paying lip service). In the end it is just a discussion between supporters about what we observe. Nothing more.
I will happily change my mind about Clarke whenever deemed appropriate. Now just doesn't seem to be the right time.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem. But I don't believe Ross doesn't make mistakes or maybe he doesn't and I just don't know it. :) I accept his authority and superior knowledge as a very good coach, but I don't believe he is infallible. He says himself that he makes mistakes (although he is probably only paying lip service). In the end it is just a discussion between supporters about what we observe. Nothing more.
I will happily change my mind about Clarke whenever deemed appropriate. Now just doesn't seem to be the right time.:)
I never said he does not make mistakes they just more informed ones than our opinions. We don't know how Griffs body was holding up. As an under sized ruckman forward who had bad knees I could only try to imagine the guts it would of taken to play with a really bad lung problem, if it's true this is a very gutsy act. VERY GUTSY, no possible argument, top self.

I never said he does not make mistakes they just more informed ones than our opinions. We don't know how Griffs body was holding up. As an under sized ruckman forward who had bad knees I could only try to imagine the guts it would of taken to play with a really bad lung problem, if it's true this is a very gutsy act. VERY GUTSY, no possible argument, top self.
Maybe but it was pointless and made it even more difficult for us to win the game. What you call gutsy I call stupid and if he asked to play, then also selfish. See where we differ:)

Maybe but it was pointless and made it even more difficult for us to win the game. What you call gutsy I call stupid and if he asked to play, then also selfish. See where we differ:)
Ok I have never done this type of thing before on line, do please understand I'm not trying to pick a fight. But I think we differ on two points.
One; if he was not the best option then I HAVE TO BELIEVE the money we pay the people at the club is wasted.
Two ; you called Clarke soft, if it was stupid or not is one thing but you can not call him soft, it was not is soft. It just can not be soft. The man has a lot of guts to do that if in deed that's what took place.

In any situation, where there is more than one option, if a decision is made and it does not work out then it is a candidate for being "a mistake". In retrospect could things have been done differently? How can we do it better next time? Professionally you live and die by your decision making. I am pretty comfortable with the thought that most of the time Lyon makes the best decision possible.

Today's West has an article by Dale Miller. Not online yet. Apparently Michael Johnson has recovered well from back surgery and will be ready for the start of pre season. The surgery was on September 3 to repair a ruptured disc in the lower back.
Garrick Ibbotson and Max Duffy are likely to have delayed starts because of Shoulder surgery. No mention of any other operations.

Today's West has an article by Dale Miller. Not online yet. Apparently Michael Johnson has recovered well from back surgery and will be ready for the start of pre season. The surgery was on September 3 to repair a ruptured disc in the lower back.
Garrick Ibbotson and Max Duffy are likely to have delayed starts because of Shoulder surgery. No mention of any other operations.

Sounds like most if not all players will get in the majority of the pre-season unlike previous years. The only long term injury now appears to be Clarke and I am still unsure why his injury is such a long term injury (hackdorn hinting at missing early season games). Think the experienced players don't start until close on December anyhow!

was because it was the best for the team. I know this site works on opinion and that's fine, we can disagree but if you bleed purple you just have to trust the boss. ( even when it's a rabbit like Drum :(). This is the best that we have ever had it. We have the best coach in the comp and one of the best teams and we will up and about next year. all I ask is give Clarke one more chance to change your mind, because if he did play on one leg, had rib and lung problems then the one thing he is not is soft.[/QUOTE]

Rabbits would find being compared to Damien Dumb very offensive.

I don't usually disagree with what other write on this board but in my opinion anyone that plays with a bad rib especially a ruckman can not be called soft. I disagree he lazy, he is just not a forward, but soft is a big call.

Clarke had a Punchered lung as well as cracked ribs

Ken Hinkley has the answer to the question on whether Clarke should have played or not .
His reply to a question on player fitness was quite emphatic . At Port Adelaide if a player don't complete the whole preseason they don't play 1st's until they are fully fit no mater what their name is and how much the fans want them in the team .
Port players do not train hard through the home and away season . They are in recovery mode only between games . He also said that you can only tweak the game plan during the season .To make any big changes would only confuses the players .
The days of playing players with significant injuries in home and away games are over because the modern game is too intense for other players in your team to cover for them . Finals football now more than ever before requires a coach to make the toughest calls on any players ability to run out a game .
These were fantastic responses by a coach and hats off to him for being so upfront during a finals campaign .
We should heed his advice and if that means resting some injured or sore senior players during the season and giving the up and coming players some games then so be it .

Ken Hinkley has the answer to the question on whether Clarke should have played or not .
His reply to a question on player fitness was quite emphatic . At Port Adelaide if a player don't complete the whole preseason they don't play 1st's until they are fully fit no mater what their name is and how much the fans want them in the team .
Port players do not train hard through the home and away season . They are in recovery mode only between games . He also said that you can only tweak the game plan during the season .To make any big changes would only confuses the players .
The days of playing players with significant injuries in home and away games are over because the modern game is too intense for other players in your team to cover for them . Finals football now more than ever before requires a coach to make the toughest calls on any players ability to run out a game .
These were fantastic responses by a coach and hats off to him for being so upfront during a finals campaign .
We should heed his advice and if that means resting some injured or sore senior players during the season and giving the up and coming players some games then so be it .

Yeah, pretty good call Coulda. I've posted elsewhere about the place, I've seen first hand while being involved in elite sporting environments (not as a player, in support staff) very good coaching groups, some of the best in the land, make poor decisions one how they handle injured players, particularly their best/most important players. The temptation to play star players who are not fully fit constantly seems to undermine even the best sporting minds. Sometimes they get away with it, and I've seen it many many times where it backfires. It's a pet hate of mine seeing good accomplished coaches giving into or not making the right call on players that aren't fit enough to play.

It was 12+ years ago when I was involved at that level, it was bad then, it's doubly bad now. As you say, managing the condition of your playing group is now more vital than ever, it could undo even the greatest coaches/playing group etc. if they don't get it right. How they handle Macca this year will be an illustration of how good we are at this aspect. Though I think Freo do a pretty good job in general, I'm not totally convinced at this stage TBH.

On Hinkley in particular, good on him for making that call, but lets be honest, he had a golden run early and late in the season. Sure he played his part, no doubt, but he had everybody fully fit come finals which made any 'tough decisions' he may have had to make a moot point. Whichever way you cut it, he had a good element of luck.

Yeah, pretty good call Coulda. I've posted elsewhere about the place, I've seen first hand while being involved in elite sporting environments (not as a player, in support staff) very good coaching groups, some of the best in the land, make poor decisions one how they handle injured players, particularly their best/most important players. The temptation to play star players who are not fully fit constantly seems to undermine even the best sporting minds. Sometimes they get away with it, and I've seen it many many times where it backfires. It's a pet hate of mine seeing good accomplished coaches giving into or not making the right call on players that aren't fit enough to play.

It was 12+ years ago when I was involved at that level, it was bad then, it's doubly bad now. As you say, managing the condition of your playing group is now more vital than ever, it could undo even the greatest coaches/playing group etc. if they don't get it right. How they handle Macca this year will be an illustration of how good we are at this aspect. Though I think Freo do a pretty good job in general, I'm not totally convinced at this stage TBH.

On Hinkley in particular, good on him for making that call, but lets be honest, he had a golden run early and late in the season. Sure he played his part, no doubt, but he had everybody fully fit come finals which made any 'tough decisions' he may have had to make a moot point. Whichever way you cut it, he had a good element of luck.
Port had injuries to important players in their back 6 half way through the season and lost a few games but by finals time those players had recovered hence the improvement to the team .

Hinkley refused to play the injured players until they where up to speed and instead blooded some young guys ,which is what we should do this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back