Review AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Gold Coast defeats Geelong by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, but the endless strawman arguments are a dream come true! :D
Everyone is guilty of this. A lot of meaning is lost in text(since its an informal forum people aren't focused on writing concisely and without ambiguity) and most of the time we assume the worst and then attack that rather than have an actual discussion. So many time I would read a post, write a scathing reply then re-read the initial post and realize that I could have misinterpreted there point or focused on a throwaway line missing there point entirely.

When you have two people writing long posts to each other with an increasingly hostile tone its probably because of the above.

I was going to post something in regards to the match but I'm now unclear whether that would be considered 'on' or 'off' topic.

Go ahead I'm all ears, I mean eyes. Lets re-rail this thread.

Because I don't agree with your overall argument. From personal experiences. My 2nd cousin lost 6kgs this week up in the mines due to nothing more than the oppressive humid tropical conditions.
I think you might like to start with understanding the overall argument. Hint: I agree with you that the climates are different; you don't need to convince me of it.

Everyone is guilty of this. A lot of meaning is lost in text(since its an informal forum people aren't focused on writing concisely and without ambiguity) and most of the time we assume the worst and then attack that rather than have an actual discussion. So many time I would read a post, write a scathing reply then re-read the initial post and realize that I could have misinterpreted there point or focused on a throwaway line missing there point entirely.

When you have two people writing long posts to each other with an increasingly hostile tone its probably because of the above
Yes I'm realising this, this morning.

Still disagree with many of your points on Lincoln Partridge but seeing as it's getting a bit heated I'll leave it there.

When you have two people writing long posts to each other with an increasingly hostile tone its probably because of the above.
I agree to an extent, but it's definitely worse with some posters than others. Some like to argue a point they feel comfortable arguing rather than what is up for debate. Then, as I've found in this thread, it's nearly impossible to get things back on track by explaining what you did (and didn't) mean. Something to do with the lost meaning in text (as you say) I suppose. Yet there has to be something peculiar to BigFooty as I don't encounter these issues elsewhere in life!

I think you might like to start with understanding the overall argument. Hint: I agree with you that the climates are different; you don't need to convince me of it.
I disagree that the heat on Sunday wouldn't have favoured Gold Coast, like you stated. We haven't had a hot summer down here, relative to previous years. Thought summer this year was relatively mild tbh.

The fact that Gold Coast are more familiar with humid and hot conditions would've helped with their ball handling skills, which we struggled with more so than GC. It was a factor.

I disagree that the heat on Sunday wouldn't have favoured Gold Coast, like you stated. We haven't had a hot summer down here, relative to previous years. Thought summer this year was relatively mild tbh.

The fact that Gold Coast are more familiar with humid and hot conditions would've helped with their ball handling skills, which we struggled with more so than GC. It was a factor.
No worries, I understand that's your view. I just wasn't sure what that had to do with misinterpreting data.

I'm so glad now that footy is back we've got some really interesting topics to discuss, like the weather for instance... :confused:

I'm trying to find out what everyone thought of Geelong's performance in NAB 1 but can't seem to find a thread?
Heard it was humid though....

Maybe if we start a humidity thread it will derail into a match discussion? :p

can someone please explain to me exactly what the * is going on here? :confused:o_O

I know there was a autopsy thread here somewhere.

Seeing it all a bit hot and sweaty in here - I refuse to reference humidity -

Will having Lang, Gregson, Mots and NC5 in the same side make us too inexperienced but fast enough?

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree to an extent, but it's definitely worse with some posters than others. Some like to argue a point they feel comfortable arguing rather than what is up for debate. Then, as I've found in this thread, it's nearly impossible to get things back on track by explaining what you did (and didn't) mean. Something to do with the lost meaning in text (as you say) I suppose. Yet there has to be something peculiar to BigFooty as I don't encounter these issues elsewhere in life!

How often do you discuss things that have no objective answers like politics, religion, the meaning of life, which is the best band of the 60s, Goku vs Superman or topics where people hold strong conflicting beliefs likes gay rights, vaccinations and legalization of recreational drugs but entirely in text? When you are discussing in person you can use things like body language the tone of the voice even then this isn't always enough

Pretty much anywhere on the internet where people taking about anything. I'd like to see a civil conversation on any of the above by people who have 100% competing views.

Anyway back to footy... so... gee Cockatoo's first step is really explosive, I wonder who is faster over 20 meters him or Motlop.

Personally I don't like making these types of excuses either SK; in fact I'm loathe to make *any* excuse for a loss except under extreme circumstances; pre-game or in-game injuries, match conditions, closed roofs, umpiring decisions; there will always be a bunch of factors that seemingly conspire against any team willing to accept them - the better teams rise above these issues.

Certainly an argument can be mounted that GC are more acclimatised to Nth Qld conditions than a Victorian team, but for mine it's not reeeally an argument worth having in the NAB cup.

Fortunately we don't have to travel to QLD this season proper, so it looks as though we won't have to endure too much by way of Hyperthermia in 2015 (although there is a trip to Paterson's in rd 9!)
NO!!! !!! Don't mention the war! ;)
Was just having a bit of fun with your comment, CursedCat, "AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Death of a Thread, aka it's gittin' hot in here.", by quoting catempire - "I can't have heat and humidity as an excuse. Both sides played in the same conditions."

The better team was GCS + there are reasons for our loss + whether they're called excuses or contributing factors, or just not good enough, is a subjective thing. I agree with you, there are always factors conspiring in a game + the better teams rise above them, we didn't + the Suns did.

It was 33 degrees and 54% humidity on Sunday in Townsville.

Geelong averages 13.4 days over 30 degrees per summer (3.4 over 35 degrees) and averages 60% humidity over summer and 64% throughout the year.

But don't let facts get in the way of your feels YPO. :)

I don't doubt that is all true CE, however and this is why everyone is taking issue with your point. You are missing the fact that Geelong never experiences 60% humidity when it is 35 degrees.

We live in a very different climate where humidity is associated with cool days when it is likely to rain.

Whereas Gold Coast is part of a sub-tropical climate where humidity and temperature are frequently experienced simultaneously.

We simply don't get days like that here.

People moan about how muggy it is if we experience 20% humidity on any day in the 30's.

So yes your stats are fine. but like all average data is doesn't tell you the full story or what each day is actually like.

I agree about Simpson, we have been patient over the long term. I think we just need to realise he isn't a superstar and he's not going to be... He's not in the same class as Smith but hopefully by the end of the season with some fitness, he may be serviceable. He just can't compete with athletic ruckmen but may find it easier against other dinosaurs. We don't have a high quality ruck on our list at the moment and talking to some people on Saturday, they don't hold out much hope for McIntosh... Take that as you will. I don't think we will find our superstar ruckman by the end of the year.

With Kolo I guess you have to feel part of the team to feel comfortable to direct the champions we have. Hopefully it will come with games.
Interesting comment from Padraig on the rucks, he said after playing against Daws & Blitz, that Zac was another dimension.

Love Kolo, couple of hiccups I saw were that he passed to Harry twice and it didn't work out but hey, he was there amongst our best defenders (bar Riv) playing his 1st snr game, so it's all a learning experience & he was definitely listening.

Also for me, relying on tv/replays you might as well wear blinkers coz you miss too much! Rather take a good look @ the comments from ppl who were @ the game.

the only difference between the two sides was the ridiculous amount of depth Gold Coast has over pretty much every other team in the competition. Even the kids who can't get a game would be pushing their case for most other sides.
You look at their outs and it's frightening which has me scratching my head and contemplating a change to my ladder prediction for season 2015 :D

O'Meara, Yablett, Day, A.Hall, Martin, Prestia, Dixon, Thompson.

That's some serious talent missing.
Exactly Bobby! Suns were the better team on Sunday + hopefully our Boyz will be better for the outing.

I don't doubt that is all true CE, however and this is why everyone is taking issue with your point. You are missing the fact that Geelong never experiences 60% humidity when it is 35 degrees.

We live in a very different climate where humidity is associated with cool days when it is likely to rain.

Whereas Gold Coast is part of a sub-tropical climate where humidity and temperature are frequently experienced simultaneously.

We simply don't get days like that here.

People moan about how muggy it is if we experience 20% humidity on any day in the 30's.

So yes your stats are fine. but like all average data is doesn't tell you the full story or what each day is actually like.
4quarter_cat, I am not missing anything. This is not "my point". "Everyone" is taking issue with a point I am not making. I agree with every single thing you say above about the differences in climate.

My point was about the factors that influenced the outcome of the match. That is where there is a disagreement. Which is fine, by the way.

can someone please explain to me exactly what the **** is going on here? :confused:o_O

Will having Lang, Gregson, Mots and NC5 in the same side make us too inexperienced but fast enough?

GO Catters
Are you talking NAB or AFL season Daz..? Would like to see more of Cory & Nakia but not @ the expense of their development!

Think Darc should play quite a bit this year and maybe the other 2 can get in a few as well.

I actually like the idea of keeping 1 spot in the 22 on the HFF open for kittens to be trialled in on a rotational basis. Couple of games each maybe three if they play really well in week 2 and the match ups work in our favour. Then go back the VFL to continue honing.

That is unless one of them, (Lang,Cockatoo,Hartman, etc.) step up and just simply demand to be picked every week. I which case someone elses position in the 22 comes under pressure.

Based purely on 2014 form and 1 NAB game of questionable significance.

I think it is possible that any of

Murdoch
Mackie
Kelly

Could find their position in the best 22 being questioned if others start to perform with any kind of consistency.

Is every other board this negative?

We played a practice match, the first one for the year. How dare we play a rookie that we went out and added to our list in this meaningless game so he can see what he will need to become if he ever wants to make it. How dare we play a ruck man that is under done after a interrupted pre season to give him some match time and improve said fitness. I am the first to admit that for the first time in a while I have no idea what our fortunes will be this season but at least wait until we are about 5 rounds into the main game before making sweeping remarks about our game plan and how we will finish outside the 8.
*bump*

Your great post earned you a follow :thumbsu:

can someone please explain to me exactly what the **** is going on here? :confused:o_O

GO Catters

when i see you posting a post db, i get all hot and sweaty

For everyone potting Simpson. For fuchs sake! He just had back surgery. The fact he's even playing this early on is a feckig miracle. I can promise u the MC won't be stressed he got raped around the ground by the uber athletic smith. They'll just be ecstatic
That the big man got through unscathed and that he has a match under his belt. It was a fitness and a mental victory for Dawson. * there are some idiotic posters on here.

For everyone potting Simpson. For fuchs sake! He just had back surgery. The fact he's even playing this early on is a feckig miracle. I can promise u the MC won't be stressed he got raped around the ground by the uber athletic smith. They'll just be ecstatic
That the big man got through unscathed and that he has a match under his belt. It was a fitness and a mental victory for Dawson. **** there are some idiotic posters on here.

Smith will be just about the best ruckman this season. Mobile, picks it up off the deck despite his height and has clean hands and feet. There will be plenty of well credentialled rucks lowering their colours to Smith this year (if he stays fit).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back